Start by marking “Uneasy Rider: The Interstate Way of Knowledge” as Want to Read:
Uneasy Rider: The Interstate Way of Knowledge

Uneasy Rider: The Interstate Way of Knowledge

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  9 ratings  ·  3 reviews
"Engagingly curious open-mindedness . . . an amiable deadpan worthy of Richard Ford."--Pico Iyer, Time

in this offbeat and original road book, cultural observer Mike Bryan takes issue with the traditional idea that the "real" America is to be found somewhere on our scenic backroads. He argues instead that it is right out in the open on the interstates, and he travels the bi
Published September 29th 1998 by Vintage (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Uneasy Rider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uneasy Rider

Andrew
A road book based on the premise that most road books, exemplified by "Blue Highways", make themselves insufferably romantic and out-of-touch by sticking to and glorifying the back roads. A cultural dead-end. This author instead stays close to the interstates, where real people live and real things are happening. I'm on board with an interstate-based road book, but I don't understand the vitriol - interstates may represent main-line culture, but of course culture has its own back roads, too.

Othe
Devon
This book took a long time to read. Usually I dislike books that take me a long time to read, but I really liked this one. I was kind of happy I got to savor it over the course of a few weeks. I enjoyed his premise - that by sticking to the back roads and demonizing the interstate, road trip writers are ignoring our emerging culture. I found the book to be both engaging and informative about subjects in which I didn't previously think I was interested.

Hannah
This book is essentially a collection of essays about interstate culture in America. There are some chapters that are more interesting than others, such as the one about how highways are paved, and the one about drug enforcement at US border patrol stations, but generally speaking this is a very interesting read.
Leigh
Leigh marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Sherry
Sherry added it
Feb 14, 2015
Jeremy Walker
Jeremy Walker marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Naomi
Naomi added it
Nov 22, 2014
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Ruthenator
Ruthenator marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Stefan Jung
Stefan Jung marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Melanie Ullrich
Melanie Ullrich marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2013
Eric
Eric added it
Aug 31, 2013
Lorayn
Lorayn marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2013
Loretta
Loretta marked it as to-read
May 06, 2013
Audrey Lawson
Audrey Lawson marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2013
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2012
Edmundo
Edmundo marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2012
Matte
Matte added it
Oct 24, 2011
The Afterword: A Novel Baseball Lives Chapter and Verse: A Skeptic Revisits Christianity Dogleg Madness Healing Belongs To You!: 31 Short Lessons on Healing