Start by marking “Lucky Stars” as Want to Read:
Lucky Stars

Lucky Stars

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  25 reviews
On stage is the last place on Earth Kira, Jake, or Eugene want to be.
"I'm not a human jukebox," Kira tells her dad, "or a dancing doll, or a puppet, where you press a button and I'll entertain you!" Yet since arriving in New York City, she's had to sing "Amazing Grace" and "Me and Bobby McGee" with him and her two little brothers, Chris and Charlie, for handouts on a sub
Published July 1st 2005 by Atheneum/Richard Jackson Books

To ask other readers questions about Lucky Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucky Stars

Lonna Pierce
What do you get when you mix three oddly talented middle schoolers and a duck? A box of entertaining quackers. Eugene, a Korean kid with no filter on his gregarious mouth, Jake, a stutterer who sings fluently like a god, & Kira, a vocal goddess with a family from hell, all meet in NYC after Kira's charming, down-on-his-luck dad coaxes her to sing with him and her two baby brothers in the subway station for money. Talk about a train wreck! When the three amigos join Ms. Hill's energetic middl ...more
Jensen Gomez
Lucky Stars was a book just sitting in my bookshelf, for about a year I just avoided it. Eventually I picked it up and decided to read it. The phrase don't judge a book by its cover plays a big role here. Because when I saw this cover I immediately assumed it wouldn't be very good.

But I won't lie it wasn't that great. It wasn't as nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be though. This book was definitely interesting, it has a good idea behind it but the overall book is way confusing. Half t
Abbie
A great first impression by Lucy Frank full of messages and lessons in life about friendship and believing in yourself. It's a fun loving book written with great explanations! It is humorous and keeps the audience engaged 80% of the time. Although this book is a great writing piece, it is boring at some points. The author writes and allows to many clues for the reader so you can guess the next part. For the most part, this book is a well constructed book with a theme. Not my favorite book but it ...more
Farrelli
OMG!! i loved it you will fall in love with Jake
Lyn
Jul 13, 2013 Lyn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 1-ya
Thirteen-year-old Kira has a strong, beautiful voice and she hopes someday to share it with everyone, but singing in the New York city subway is not what she had in mind. Her dad, Russ, persuades Kira to join the performances he and her half brothers perform daily for handouts. Kira came to New York city for a visit with her dad and is shocked that this is how Russ supports his family.

Kira hates the subway performances. She is humiliated by having to sing to strangers who either heckle or pity h
Kellyn
Kira moves to New York City to live with her father hoping that life there will be better than with her mother. Unfortunately she finds that the singing job he has arranged for her is singing in the subway while simultaneously keeping track of her two stepbrothers. Much to her dismay “house” where she is to live with her dad is a dilapidated basement apartment. Eventually Kira begins attending middle school with Jake and his best friend Eugene, fellow ostracized students. Together they join the ...more
KRISTI  ♫ ♪
Wow. Such a sweet book.
Things I liked: It was about music and as yall know, music is my life. I really liked how it switched points of view every few chapters, between the main characters; Kira, Jake, and Eugene. It helped you understand what they're thinking and how they act the way they do A LOT better. I also liked how it's not completely a happy book. There's a lot of really emotional/sad parts and that's what made Lucky Stars such an interesting book to read.
Thing I didn't like: How there
ClareBear
Feb 10, 2008 ClareBear rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
This is a really good book by Lucy Frank. It's about three different kids who all have one thing in common; they sing. Kira is living with her father, who wants her to sing for money in the subway. Jake loves to sing, but has a stutter that he wants to hide. Eugene is a "class clown" who sings badly and knows it, but Ms. Hill, the music teacher, has hopes for him, and recognizes just how good he can be. They all come to understand eachother, and go through good and bad times together. It is a bo ...more
Erica
The climax was a little disappointing but it was a very well-written book.
Sally
This book was interesting in terms of having the thoughts of one girl and two boys and on the same topic which is music. From chapters to chapters the characters would switch from point of views. As you read on the character seems funnier and funnier but even though this is a happy and funny book there were some parts where it was serious. The main characters are Kira, Jake and Eugene and they all dont like to sing in public but their music teacher thinks they have talent.
Lily
i really liked it it was about this girl who was with her grandma and came to vivsit her dad for awhile and ends up living with him.So she meets these two boys Eugene,a person who always makes stupid remarks that make, and Jake,who stutters when he talks and is always embarrassed and used to skip english class and met the girl in the subway since the girl's dad didn't have a job.
Brenda
I read this book so I could lead a children's book discussion. The story was really true-to-life. I was happy when the main characters started attending the chorus. The sub-story about the duck was cute, but a little unbelievable. The character, Russell, the dad, had some very mixed-up ideas about life. This book should make for an interesting discussion.
Heather Leung

This book revolved around music and the view points of one girl and two boys.
(Kira, Jake and Eugene.)(They're singers, talented singers.)
It's cool yet sometimes annoying how the character view points change after each chapter.
But it's very funny and full of laughs with a hint of seriousness on the side.
A recommended book for teenagers.
3 very different kids with very different struggles find that friendship and music (singing) can help them cope. I liked the sections about their music class most of all. Also enjoyed the humorous parts about the pet duck, and other typical examples of middle school angst and melodrama. Convincingly written.
Mindy
Really good, better than I expected it. I really liked how... there was a lot of humor, comedy, and they all sing... sort of. A great book of friendship, and a funny ending.

A bit confusing if you don't read the titles of the chapters.
Burbank Library Children's Department
For kids who love "Glee" or who are superstars in waiting, this book follows the lives of three middle schoolers who discover the ups and downs of friendship, first love, and surviving glee club.

AR Level 3.3
AR Points 8
Kelsey
Mychael Rose told me this book was great and it was. I wish the chapters switched between characters more evenly though. But, it was still a great story with humor and description.
Sharon
Really, really, awesome. It describes a new world for you, as well as providing an interesting story to go along with it. I liked how realistic the situations were.
Stephanie
I got this book because I love music, but it didn't grasp my attention. It had a slow start. All in all, OK book. Definitely not my favorite.
JennyGrace  M.
I loved this book, it is about rising above issues such as poverty or disabilities and becoming who you want to be through talent.
Rhiannon
It's about three kids who can sing. It's really good.
Sami C
it was ok. it definitely wasn't make favorite book ever.
Ninglu
Lucy Frank writes modern awesome
Lauren
just started but i love it!!
Lywana
It could have been better :(
Dora Mota
Dora Mota marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Mallaline
Mallaline marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
  • From Charlie's Point of View
  • Hummingbird
  • Not Like You
  • Hershey Herself
  • The Broccoli Tapes
  • Little Rock Girl 1957: How a Photograph Changed the Fight for Integration
  • Brother from a Box
  • Frozen Summer (Remembrance "Mem" Nye #2)
  • Moon Bridge
  • Where I'd Like To Be
  • Zebrafish
  • The Way of the Wilderking (The Wilderking Trilogy #3)
  • I Rode a Horse of Milk White Jade
  • Planet Tad
  • Teacher's Pet (Puppy Patrol, #1)
  • Ruthie's Gift
  • Frankenstein Takes the Cake
  • The Ramsay Scallop
Two Girls Staring at the Ceiling The Homeschool Liberation League Oy, Joy! I Am an Artichoke Just Ask Iris