Start by marking “Posh” as Want to Read:
Posh

Posh

Set in the private school world of Manhattan's Upper East Side, POSH tracks the lives of a group of teenagers and the adults who hope to control them: from the school's headmistress to the social x-ray mom to the mom who drives a cab, this is commercial fiction that shows a cutaway of a rarefied world.
Published January 9th 2007 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Posh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Posh

M
Aug 16, 2009 M rated it it was ok
What, exactly, was the point of this book?
Lucy Jackson, a pseudonym (understandably) takes on the overused and much abused world of the Upper East Side to toss around all the cliched stereotypes she can get her hands on. The story, if you can call it that, centers around some students in a prep school, their neglectful and band name happy parents and a headmistress.
First, if you have clearly never met a teenager, don't try to write about one. Jackson drops as many buzz words as she can, all the
Lanetta
Nov 02, 2008 Lanetta rated it it was amazing
The whole story kept my full attention! I imagined Posh as some sort of true story. It's sad to say that some prestigious private schools/universities are not what they seem. As in to say, people view prep schools as being guaranteed an easy acceptance to the top univerisities in the nation. When, honestly, not everyone gets into Yale, Harvard or Princeton. Also, the relationship between Julianne and Michael was somewhat speechless. My favorite character in the story was Julianne's mother, Dee. ...more
stephanie
Jun 09, 2007 stephanie rated it really liked it
i think the reason this book suffered (and i found it on the discount-discount pile) was because it's kind of hard to describe. you automatically think from the book jacket, the blurbs, even the title, that this is another chicklit book about life on the UES - this time in prep school setting.

however, it's much darker and deeper than that. it's written extremely well, and from multiple character perspectives, in little vingettes that last no more than five pages (most ring in at three). but it
Meredith
Mar 29, 2016 Meredith rated it it was ok
They say money can't buy happiness. According to author Lucy Jackson, it REALLY can't.

This is Jackson's look at the lives of those who reside on the Upper East Side, centering around an elite prep school. There's the headmistress who hates the parents she has to deal with but loves the money and prestige that come with the job; the parents who don't care about their offspring until they make them look bad; and some students trying to figure it all out. Sort of.

This book didn't really have a plot
Danielle
Aug 26, 2008 Danielle rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction-general
I finished this book in a few days and looked back on it, wondering what I'd read and why I'd read it. It tells no worthy story, has no redeeming qualities, and ends up going nowhere. The main characters all lead the kind of privileged, horrible life that I don't want to accept actually existing somewhere. Awful. The author, Lucy Jackson, is a pseudonym, and nobody, even her editor, seems to know who the real author is. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be Curtis Sittenfeld, who wrote t ...more
Sandra
Jun 16, 2014 Sandra rated it liked it
Reading this book was like eating Hershey bar. It doesn't taste amazing but it's good enough and satisfies a craving. Posh is a fluffy YA read that feels voyeuristic rather than having a true plot. Multiple characters intertwine but each runs parallel to the others. It was great for an airplane ride!
Ayah Awadallah
Jul 30, 2013 Ayah Awadallah rated it it was ok
Taking this book off of the bookshelf, I didn't know at all what to expect. I have never heard of this book, nor anyone who read it, but I thought I'd give it a try. Sadly, I was disappointed, and by the end didn't like the book at all.
For one, while the beginning of the novel may have drawn me in, by the end, I felt that it served no real purpose or importance, and didn't understand why the author started the novel the way she did.
Secondly, since the novel was broken up chapter after chapter
Susan Becraft
Jun 26, 2015 Susan Becraft rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Satire or truth?

I liked this book, despite its many typos and other proofreading errors. Before reading the first word, I expected snarky satire of the New York elite, but when I finished Posh, I wondered if I had misjudged the story. Yes, Posh does mock the super rich - high school (oops - private school) girls flaunting their Jimmy Choos and jeans bought at Barney's, mothers toting $9000 purses in their minks while their offspring are falling apart makes for some delicious black humor and iron
Kristie Giamei
Feb 19, 2017 Kristie Giamei rated it it was ok
Honesty a sweet easy read and truly shows how teenage girls would think and the pain of their parents. The story is told by each character as chapters change and each was told in a unique voice. I kinda wanted it to continue to see how they all ended up.
Julie
Jul 24, 2007 Julie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes reading about where the super-rich send their kids to school.
I liked this book, but I didn't love it. It's a really good fast, summer read about some of the people involved with the exclusive high school where New York's ultra rich and elite send their kids. The book is told in alternating point-of-views of the school's headmistress, "Lazy", students Morgan, Michael and Julianne, Michael's mom, and Julianne's mom.

I liked the book, because the characters were complex and I was drawn into their lives early on in the book; however, the book was too short to
Maile
Jun 26, 2011 Maile rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was fine, but I expected something different. The plot moved a bit too quickly for my liking, and I could have done without the Headmistress subplot. The other characters were connected through their relationships with one another, but the Headmistress ("Lazy") was really only connected to the school. Her plot had interesting moments, but I was far more interested in the other characters. Unfortunately for me, Lazy seemed to be the author's favorite, as her story closed the book.

There
Lindsay Heller
Dec 19, 2011 Lindsay Heller rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, academia
I liked this book much more than I thought I would given some of the reviews I read. But, I bought it from the dollar bin at Half Priced Books and figured it sort of went with my private school streak I appear to be on lately. 'Posh', a terrible title if you ask me, covers the well traversed ground of the Upper East Side of Manhattan and the privileged, Ivy bound (whether they deserve it or not), students of the Griffin School. And just for a kick in the pants author Lucy Jackson has thrown in t ...more
Susan
Aug 18, 2015 Susan rated it it was ok
Eh, OK. I only gave it 2 stars, yet I read it in almost one sitting on a transatlantic flight. Sort of the perfect read for a time when you can't really rest, but can't concentrate on doing much else. It wasn't wickedly funny, the way many of the books set in upscale NYC are, because some of the topics were just too serious (mental illness, sick parents, abandoned kids). The author does have an engaging style, and with a little bit more editing could be a very good writer.

I liked how the very r
Shea
Oct 08, 2011 Shea rated it it was ok
I finished this book and thought to myself, what was it even about? I feel like it focused on a bunch of characters and nothing really happened or changed with most of them except maybe Morgan and Lazy (which, what kind of name is Lazy?).
I thought it was strange how the book begins with a chapter about Elizabeth, Morgan's mother. But then the story really isn't about Morgan or her mother, it's mostly about the relationship between Michael and Julianne and Lazy and Doug/Richard. And, why does Ja
Rebecca
Apr 18, 2012 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
Lea
Oct 08, 2015 Lea rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I borrowed this from the library, thinking it would be a fluffy read for the plane. It did not quite match my expectations, exceeding them in some ways and falling short of the mark in others. The overall quality of the writing was fair to middling. The chapters are each devoted to someone connected to a prestigious private school. The treatment of the teen relationships and of the relationships between the parents of the teens was well done. The treatment of the headmistress was more uneven / l ...more
Kricket
Sep 11, 2008 Kricket rated it liked it
Shelves: teen-fiction, nyc, 2009
decent satire of privileged new yorkers, although i feel like i didn't quite grasp what i was supposed to be getting out of it. there were clever moments of scathing humor...the mother who sews a full wardrobe for her dog but ignores her suicidal son; the headmistress afraid to punish a plagiarizing student because he's from saudi arabia and she's afraid his father is a terrorist...

but at the end i just wasn't sure what the point was.

supposedly lucy jackson is the pseudonym of a famous novelist
Bev
Jan 10, 2009 Bev rated it really liked it
I totally agree with reviewer Kate, who had this to say about the book:

"The jacket of this book is obviously very similar to the jacket of Prep. However, I think this similarity does this book a disservice. "Prep" focused on one character who didn't seem to develop much over the course of the book--the conceit of the novel really hinged more on the idea of a "behind-the-scenes" look at student life at an elite boarding school than anything else. "Posh" follows several characters, all of whom are
Roxy
Oct 07, 2008 Roxy rated it it was ok
Shelves: general-fiction
It took almost 3/4s of the book to go by before I became really disappointed. This was a story of 4 different characters. Each chapter was a bout a different character as their lives paralleled over a course of a school year (I think). Silly me I thought at the end their lives would all intertwine. Their lives crossed path, a common incident, but the characters didn't come together as I had come to anticipate. Once I started to suspect this I lost interested about 25 pages before the end. Sad, I ...more
Kim
May 17, 2008 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked the book. Early on however, I wondered if I would stick with it, as it moves in fairly short chapters between the "goings on" in the lives of 5-6 different people. Each chapter with the different characters' titles. All lives are intertwined, and I'm so glad I stuck it out. The finish was great! I think my main issue going is was it seemed somehwhat easy to put down because of the individual, short chapters. Now I think, based on the structure, it's one of those great reads when you don't ...more
Salsabrarian
This novel follows five characters, all connected in some way to Griffin, an exclusive high school of students from wealthy families. There is "Lazy" Hoffman, the headmistress who is having an affair with the English teacher despite being married to a loving husband; Michael Avery, a Griffin senior whose intelligence can't mask his mental illness; Julianne, his suffering girlfriend and a full-scholarship student at Griffin; her mother Dee, who is a writer and cab driver and nothing at all like t ...more
Jeanne
Dec 01, 2007 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: back-to-school
A posh (obviously) prep school on Manhattan's Upper East Side sets the stage for various dramas in this slim volume.

Main characters include:

Morgan, a senior whose mother just died

Julianne, Morgan's best friend and charity case

Dee, Julianne's mom who was a great novelist and now drives a cab

Kathryn "Lazy" Hoffman, headmistress and adulteress

Michael, Julianne's psychotic boyfriend

This was a quick, fun read. The characters are fairly well-developed and interesting. And the cover on this book is to
Kate
Jun 29, 2007 Kate rated it liked it
The jacket of this book is obviously very similar to the jacket of "Prep." However, I think this similarity does this book a disservice. "Prep" focused on one character who didn't seem to develop much over the course of the book--the conceit of the novel really hinged more on the idea of a "behind-the-scenes" look at student life at an elite boarding school than anything else. "Posh" follows several characters, all of whom are 3-dimensional and interesting in their own right. It's a fast read an ...more
Ronya Misleh
Jul 24, 2011 Ronya Misleh rated it liked it
Reminded me a lot--as I expected it to--of Curtis Sittenfeld. Thanks to the Thanksgiving holiday, had some extra reading time on my hands and finished this in a day. Story evolved in a nice, well-paced fashion with a few almost unexpected surprises. A good--though not great, if you're intimately involved in it, I'm sure--look into the world of NYC private schools. The kids were way less annoying than those on NYC Prep, though. Good character development and relevant storylines. If you are in the ...more
Jo
Feb 28, 2011 Jo rated it it was ok
I had a whole thing written about how I'm underwhelmed by this novel, and then I went to go find a word I wanted to use and couldn't quite remember and everything I said disappeared. Stupid internet.

So suffice it to say that I was underwhelmed when I finished this book, that I find Jackson's style of third-person narrative distancing, which I have a hard time appreciating, and that I didn't really like any of these characters, which also make it difficult for me to truly appreciate a book.
Nov 14, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
This is what I ended up with the last time I passed by the bargain table at Barnes and Noble. Addictive as your kid's left-over Halloween candy, you can polish this one off in one sitting (while you are raiding those Halloween bags)--neither the candy nor the book are particularly good, but both are mildly pleasurable. I was sort of intrigued by the fact that the author, supposedly a critically acclaimed short story writer, published this under a pseudonym.
Suzi
Jul 30, 2007 Suzi rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written by an author who rips to the heart of life in the world of NYC's private high schools with a kindness not found in and a rare sensitivity to the emotional lives of her characters. The issues feel real and the dialog never hits a false note. Jackson's portrayal of the beauty of unusual friendships and the bonds between women and those who touch their lives makes this a must read for anyone who has ever had a friend, a daughter or "an inappropriate" romance.
Carrie
Jan 18, 2008 Carrie rated it it was ok
This book is okay. I really liked it at first, but it quickly turn weird. I didn't think the ending ended the book. I think it needed more. I am not talking about leaving room for a second novel, but it's like the author said I think I'll stop and he did. I needed more closure, but then again, it's a thought provoking book and that was his intentions.
Vanessa
Jan 02, 2008 Vanessa rated it it was ok
I expected a little more from this book after reading the published reviews. It felt like I was reading the 2nd book in a series, and that I missed reading the first book or something. Also, there could have been a bit more character development, although I appreciated that the characters were more complicated than at first glance.
Jess
It was all a bit meh, really. Jackson isn't a terrible writer in the sense that she knows how to put one word in front of another in a reasonable order, but the story was a bit flat and the characters rather two-dimensional (and not a single one of them particularly likeable).

It is a sign of my disinterest in this book that I cannot be bothered writing more than two sentences of criticism.
  • Schooled
  • The Fruit of My Lipstick (All About Us, #2)
  • Gossip of the Starlings
  • A Royal Mess
  • Gucci Girls (Project Fashion)
  • Indian Summer
  • Love You Two
  • The Actual Real Reality of Jennifer James
  • This Year's Model
  • The Bitch Posse: A Novel
  • The Perfect Manhattan
  • The Nannies (Nannies, #1)
  • College Girl
  • The Principles of Love (The Principles of Love, #1)
  • Grave Secrets (Deadtime Stories, #8)
  • Snitch