Start by marking “Heaven's Reach (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Heaven's Reach (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #3)

Heaven's Reach (Uplift Storm Trilogy #3)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  4,510 ratings  ·  82 reviews
Heaven's Reach is the final volume of the New Uplift trilogy, which begins in Brightness Reef and continues in Infinity's Shore. It chronicles the adventures of a handful of primitives from the planet Jijo who have left or been taken from their homes only to be swept into the intrigues of galactic politics. The novel also continues the story of the fugitive Earth starship ...more
Published June 1st 1998 by Spectra Books

To ask other readers questions about Heaven's Reach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heaven's Reach

Ben Babcock
Peter
Jul 30, 2009 Peter rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: science fiction fans
I consider David Brin one of the three best genre writers among those who started writing after 1970 (the other two are Lawrence Watt-Evans and Steven Brust; Barry Longyear might be on that list except I think he started writing before 1970, and I haven't seen anything new from him in quite a while. Barry Hughart would be on that list if he hadn't had to give up writing due to his idiotic publishers).

I'm a huge fan of a lot of his work. His original Uplift trilogy is a favorite of mine. But I wa
Terence
Kaysea
After reading all 6 novels and the follow-up story from Brins Uplift universe "temptation" (All in a row!), I've come to the conclusion that Brin is not that great of a SF author as some people claim he is.

The only thing that kept me reading his Uplift books was his creation of this fantastic universe. His notion of clans, uplifting species and the terran ("wolfling")clan surrounded by hostility had so much potential to begin with ... but alas, it was never meant to be.

((WARNING some SPOILERS))
Ben
Dark-Draco
The six book series finally comes to an end. The Streaker has made a desperate bid to escape Jijo, drawing the Jophur ship away from the hidden world, hoping to destroy it and themselves in the new transfer point opening in space, taking Sara of Jijo with them. However, ships already there give them another chance to flee and attempt once more to get their information out to the galaxies. Trapped aboard the Jophur ship, Lark finds unlikely allies, while Dwer has to use his hunters skills in the ...more
Onefinemess
THERE'S MORE TO SEE HERE.

That's pretty much the takeaway from this. Brin "owes" us one more Uplift book or trilogy... right? I mean, he never got back to the half of the cast he left behind in Startide Rising. Maybe that's just how he rolls but still.

HARSH.

STILL.

That closing paragraph. Grrr.

I built this one up a bit too much internally, I think. It couldn't live up to what I what I wanted. That or it wasn't quite as good as it should have been. A little of both, most likely. Most series finales
Martin
The whole second "uplift" series by Brin, and especially this book, showcases both the inspiration and disappointment of sci fi. The imagination here is staggering -- he's actually created a whole Galactic sociology that kind of makes sense, a technically realistic way the universe could be full of life that all talks and interacts. I've read this book time and again for its scope -- hydrogen breathers, "transcendent" beings diving into black holes, etc.

But the way it's written is a big disappoi
David Bonesteel
David Brin picks up the strands of his story and follows his characters off the surface of the planet Jijo and into the cosmos. The crew of the Streaker, pursued relentlessly by a powerful Jophur dreadnought, searches for someone that can be trusted with the terrible secret they have uncovered. This desperate adventure coincides with the prophesied Time of Changes, a suitably cataclysmic event that answers most of the questions raised in the series and leaves a pleasant sense of ambiguity surrou ...more
David B
Elar
Brilliant book that wraps up many loose ends (also from Uplift Saga Startide Rising) and shows us the greater goal toward which many unrelated adventures have weaved through trilogy. Saga's ending is not something totally new, but it is unexpected.

Through both trilogies author introduces many brilliant alien races, planet and space adventures, so that you want to keep on reading to see what happens next. It is good to see that humans are not demonized for gene manipulation and they are at least
Steven
* Listen to the crash
* Of breakers on yonder reef,
* And. tell me this ain't real! * So says Olelo, a dolphin crew member on one spacecraft on the last pages of the book, Heaven's Reach.

This is a difficult review for me. Brin's book, Uplift War is one of my favorite science fiction books. Heaven's Reach, continuing the same story three books later is a very difficult read. As other reviewers have said, there are way too many POVs.

Let me itemize the evidence for the crime of excessive POVs: Harry
Justin
David Brin delivers in this last novel of the Uplift Storm Trilogy. The hard science of Brin's world is much more in affect in this novel than in the previous two, and we're introduced to a few new characters. But it picks up exactly where Infinity's Shore dropped off. Though each subplot is tied off nicely, we never spend any time on Jijo, which was my favorite part of the novels. That's the main reason behind my 4-star rating, that little bit of disappointment.
Jason
6th and (so far) final book of Brin’s Uplift series. An intricately woven epic, a tremendous finale that heaps wonder upon wonder, crescendoing to staggering heights. A vibrant panorama of likable characters and alien races, hyper-aliens, meta-aliens, godlike-intelligences, sublime scopes, ancient cosmic mysteries, space battles and narrow escapes! Mind-expanding rip-roaring unapologetic space opera at its absolute very best!
Joe
Mar 13, 2008 Joe rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Sci-fi
Shelves: science-fiction
This is part of a grand trilogy that started with the Uplift War, Startide Rising and Sundiver, and while they share the same universe, they aren't required reaqding.
This Trilogy about the world Jijo on the otherhand are all tied together and they weave a grand tapestry together about all of the loose ends from the previous three novels.
In the end Brin makes his case for greatness and leaves you wanting more...
Michael Evans
The final book in this 6 book story is epic. Like most long space epics, the plot and ramifications grow and grow. The expectation for the eventual resolution grows in parallel. Usually this all deflates with a whimper instead of a good resolution. Heaven's reach does a great job of bringing the main plot to a truly epic conclusion with implications not just for one galaxy but for lots of them. Great book.
Jon
Brin throws in a zoo of alien civilizations, many as the initial narrators. I was fascinated by the questions of environmental ethics throughout the series and they really take front stage in the second trilogy. In total, a top-notch work of modern sci-fi: if the Grand Masters were about physics (rocketships and space), Uplift is about biology and ecology, with smatterings of quantum, probability, and psychology.
Gordon
One of the pinnacles of modern hard sci-fi. Numerous alien races are given detailed treatments, and the science never overshadows the character (even if said character is a gelatinous stack of ring tori). This is what I love about science fiction, you create a world of such incredible detail, only so it can serve as the backdrop for an epic story.
Eric
Aug 15, 2014 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who have finished the other books and would like some semblance of closure
Shelves: sci-fi
I trudged through 1000 pages, only to be firehosed with Brin's orgy of metaphysical mumbo-jumbo. I'm fine with that. I enjoy this Universe, even if I have to spend far too much time following pointless characters around as they do inconsequential things. Finally, after, I dunno, 1800 pages of Uplift universe content, we get to hear a little about the main thrust of the cosmos, rather than some quaint anachronistic backwater. And he pulls out all of the stops here, with his delving into the other ...more
Nathan
A quite excellent ending to the trilogy, I loved the very last scenes of all three plotlines :) I feel like I want to read more about these people, as characteristically to David Brin many plotlines and questions remained open in the end. I'm gonna check out that short sequel story, Temptation.

One thing I find scary in Brin's Uplift Universe, that in billion years old civilisation capitalism is still the prevalent economical system. Seriously they couldn't evolve to a fairer and more person-cent
Kenneth
Despite many passages of repetitive information (likely inserted to help readers keep the myriad threads straight), this was an excellent conclusion to the Uplift series. Not all ends are tied, and that makes me happy. It's not the hollywood conclusion, and it's not without character losses. There is always a cost. Well done, Brin.
Amy
Conclusion to the Uplift trilogy. The ending (spoiler) always struck me as sad and bittersweet. The Streaker makes it home, but part of their crew, who escaped the events in Startide Rising in a separate ship, is still out there, lost in the Wilderness of the Galaxies. I hope Brin takes up that part of the story and concludes it.
Andreea Pausan
it is amazing when you finish a series and it expands your universe so you have more questions than when you began reading.Brin offers us a lesson in being a galactic citizen, away from our self-centered belief that we are alone in the universe. It's about understanding and tolerance, but also resilience and hope.
Martin L. Cahn
An excellent ending to a challenging series. Leaves things open for more stories if Brin ever wanted to revisit all these years later. The concepts are mind-blowing while still grounding much of the story in characterization even when -- or, perhaps, especially -- dealing with interspecies relations. Enjoyed the ride!
Tomgroff
This book has an amazing breadth and yet it still manages to tie up most of the loose ends of the trilogy.

I enjoyed the discussion and interplay of the various orders of life forms - oxygen, hydrogen, mechanical, memetic, retired, and transcendent...

A very satisfying conclusion to a great trilogy.
Martyn F
Do we need Harry? Do we need E-Space and allaphorics? No, alas we don't. David Brin started out this series with some interesting characters in a very interesting universe. But somehow the universe took a life of its own and the characters almost disappeared. A real pity!
Craig
An ending, not a conclusion - we don't get all the answers in the end, but really, isn't that life? I found it to be a fitting and satisfying end to this story arc, but I hope that Mr. Brin ends up writing more in this universe in the future - I still do want those answers.....
Daniel Smith
Not as satisfying as I hoped, many loose ends were left.

(view spoiler)
Rob
I had loved the first Uplift books when I had read them 15 years ago. While reading this series I reread Startide Rising and realized it wasn't as good as I remembered. Brin just isn't that good of a writer. His ideas are often interesting and occasionally brilliant/fascinating. His plotting is only okay. His story arcs are interesting but his telling of them have so many holes and he often leads up to an event and then it happens "off- stage", as it were, and we are only told of it after the fa ...more
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in January 2003.

On a science fiction newsgroup recently, there was a post with the subject, "When did David Brin start to suck?" It rather crudely overstates the reality, but there can be no doubt that this novel (the only recent one of his that I have read) is less good than his early work. It comes at the end of the second Uplift trilogy, and not reading the first two (because of Cambridgeshire libraries' random acquisition policy) may mean I am being too h
  • Tides of Light (Galactic Center, #4)
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • Slant (Queen of Angels, #4)
  • Alliance Space (Alliance-Union Universe)
  • Phylogenesis (Founding of the Commonwealth, #1)
  • The Reality Dysfunction 1: Emergence (Night's Dawn 1)
  • Ring (Xeelee Sequence, #4)
  • The Gripping Hand (Moties #2)
  • Relic of Empire (Forbidden Borders, #2)
  • Grimmer Than Hell
David Brin is a scientist, speaker, and world-known author. His novels have been New York Times Bestsellers, winning multiple Hugo, Nebula and other awards. At least a dozen have been translated into more than twenty languages.

Existence, his latest novel, offers an unusual scenario for first contact. His ecological thriller, Earth, foreshadowed global warming, cyberwarfare and near-future trends
More about David Brin...

Uplift Storm Trilogy (3 books)
  • Brightness Reef (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #1)
  • Infinity's Shore (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #2)
Startide Rising (The Uplift Saga, #2) The Postman The Uplift War (The Uplift Saga, #3) Sundiver (The Uplift Saga, #1) Foundation's Triumph (Second Foundation Trilogy, #3)