Start by marking “Since You Ask” as Want to Read:
Since You Ask

Since You Ask

From a Connecticut sanitarium, 24-year-old Betsy Scott tells her doctor a story about the destructive secrets in an outwardly successful family. Confusing love and sex, desire and fear, Betsy grows alienated, confused and desperate. She finally faces truths about herself and her family that enable her to move beyond them and into a new life. Since You Ask is about the orig ...more
Published May 1st 2004 by Akashic Books

To ask other readers questions about Since You Ask, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Since You Ask

Dia
Sep 03, 2007 Dia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who knows a girl/woman
A book about a girl who was molested as a girl and finds out just how much this has affected her later. She has a kind of breakdown and goes into a hospital where she talks a lot with her doctor about what happened and why. Beautiful writing and really sad intense story, but really helpful because she really tries to understand how she can get over her past and be happier. Intense.
Liz
Oct 16, 2008 Liz rated it really liked it
I really shouldn't read these books about crazy girls, it isn't healthy for me. But this was very good. The juxtaposition of times was skillfully done, and her style reminds me of Hemingway, in that the writing seems to simply report what happened and leave the subtext to you. Of course this means once I finished it I was cumulatively more emotionally disturbed than I realized.
ABC Group
Sep 02, 2010 ABC Group rated it it was ok
A solid read that addresses the abuse of young lady and the impacts it has on her life. Despite being privileged and wealthy, Betsy doesn't ooze entitlement, so much as tragedy and brokenness. Some folks are fucked from an early start and she's one of them.

I must admit that this felt long, despite being only 213 pages. I understand the patterned behavior. And, I get how many of the folks in this book are simply void of any decency...and that our lead character is drawn to these people. It's jus
Mike Lindgren
Aug 23, 2011 Mike Lindgren rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Intermittently affecting troubled-youth tale reads like contemporary Plath / Salinger update complete with mental institution, disconnected parents, unsympathetic peers, etc. etc. The author is capable of occasional flashes of lyricism, but mostly relies on the flat, atonal register favored by young novelists who are trying to imply oceans of pain beneath the stoical surface. Should be docked an additional star for hideously amateurish, sleazy, irrelevant cover. The title is from a poem by Anne ...more
Andrea
Jan 31, 2011 Andrea rated it it was ok
Maggie Simpson
Dec 09, 2008 Maggie Simpson rated it it was amazing
LOVE, LOVE LOVE this book. There is not a word missing or a word to spare. The subject matter is dark but real - and it is a wonderful coming of age tale. It is a fantastic read - just could not put it down!!
Michele
Feb 03, 2013 Michele rated it it was amazing
I was totally obsessed with this book. It spoke to me and the words were like a song. Parts were very emotional and not easy to move through but it was worth it. It changed my life.
Cherylck
Jun 21, 2011 Cherylck rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
I get that this is supposed to be written by a psychotic troubled junkie, but the erratic nature of the prose was just too gimmicky.
Jane Krier
Dec 30, 2009 Jane Krier rated it really liked it
A very dark subject manner but written in a very fluid way. I loved this author's writing style.
Louise Leonard
Aug 02, 2016 Louise Leonard rated it it was amazing
Of course I have to rate this a 5! I wrote it, and worked so hard on it! L
Siobhan.
Apr 16, 2016 Siobhan. rated it liked it
This book was fucked up in so many ways. But understandable. The bits were Frank were so beyond creepy and unbearable to read. I don't what it's like in psychiatric hospitals in America, but over here, they don't let you just get in a car and go into town with friends while you're staying at the psychiatric hospital. My dad also agrees. Also wish we would've gotten some closure over the Beck situation. Her parents are so fucked up. The fact that they should swept what happened with Betsy and Ray ...more
Evan
There's something ass backwards about this book. By the time it started getting human, and interesting, in the last 40 pages, I was so cold to it that I didn't care.
I was patiently waiting for something resembling human beings as I know them to enter the story; instead encountering people who I wouldn't associate with in real life, much less want to read about.
So, as stories about crazy young rich girls enduring incest, drug abuse, intergenerational and nymphomaniacal sex go, this one was pretty
Jess
Apr 28, 2008 Jess rated it really liked it
This book was beautifully written and had a fascinating plot. The tone held very true to the perspective of the main character. I enjoyed it and I read it quickly. But by the end, I was starting to lose interest a little bit.
Jodi Papazian
Yikes, I don't even remember anything about this book.

And doesn't that kind of say it all??
Courtney H.
Courtney H. is currently reading it
Sep 21, 2016
Tim
Tim rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2016
S
S rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2016
Peggy Hoover
Peggy Hoover marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Marion Johnson
Marion Johnson rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Heather Shamburger
Heather Shamburger marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
zespri
zespri marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Markaela Zirkle
Markaela Zirkle marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Imbesat
Imbesat marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Sam
Sam rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Abbie
Abbie rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2016
Eve
Eve is currently reading it
Oct 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

“Dr. Spiro seems to think I don't know how to behave in a mental institution.” 0 likes
“Drink," he says, so I take the cup -- clear warm Haldol swimming like hope -- and I tip it out, ever so slowly, into the lush grass.” 0 likes