Start by marking “Adaptation and Appropriation” as Want to Read:
Adaptation and Appropriation

Adaptation and Appropriation

From the apparently simple adaptation of a text into film, theatre or a new literary work, to the more complex appropriation of style or meaning, it is arguable that all texts are somehow connected to a network of existing texts and art forms. Adaptation and Appropriation explores:

multiple definitions and practices of adaptation and appropriation the cultural and aesthetic
Published December 22nd 2005 by Routledge (first published September 23rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Adaptation and Appropriation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adaptation and Appropriation

Phillip
Mar 22, 2015 Phillip rated it liked it
[Updated Review]: I originally would have rated this 3.5 stars, but rounded up to 4. Now I'm rounding down to 3 after rereading the book with a more substantive background in adaptation studies. While Sanders provides some interesting and insightful readings of specific texts, as a theory survey this book leaves a lot to be desired. One of my big complaints is that the definition section doesn't really give definitions, especially of adaptation. Sanders takes us through a number of types of ...more
yoli
Jan 13, 2009 yoli rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school-thesis
A much more academic reading than A Theory of Adapatation , Sanders is constantly referencing "as x said in x, published 19xx, an important text for anyone studying adaptation and/or appropriation." Why thank you, ma'am, for increasing my to-read list so casually and so specifically.

Things I've borrowed/viewed as a result of this book:
- The Hours movie
- As I Lay Dying by Faulkner
- Bluebeard's Egg by Atwood
- Gertrude and Claudius by John Updike
- Human Croquet by Atkinson

I'd better enjoy these! I
Resa
Jun 16, 2010 Resa rated it liked it
Everything is adapted and appropriated, nothing is original. Sometimes the author takes ideas from another work on purpose, sometimes it is subconscious.

This book made me rethink what it means to plagiarize. Sanders purposes a new system for plagiarism, but I think it is fine the way it is.

I am not a fan of the whole idea of every text using other texts ideas, I mean I know it happens, but I still bask books that do it intentionally. To me that is plagiarism, not to mention a low-blow.
Nandini Pradeep J
Jan 08, 2015 Nandini Pradeep J rated it liked it
Though it condenses the ideas in simple terms and simplifies complex ideas, the one issue I have with the text is that it's rather repetitive. But on the positive side, the aforementioned factor makes it an easy read, not to forget, it's an interesting read nevertheless. In fact, for those of us who are interested in intertextuality or critical theory in general, it's a must-read. But of course, do not expect to read something you don't already know.
Mirte
Nov 29, 2013 Mirte rated it really liked it
Adaptation and Appropriation is a very helpful book about exactly those two things. It gives an introduction to many different types of adaptation and appropriation and uses insightful examples to make her points clear. It also draws from different media - film, writing, music, painting - which broadens the idea of adaptation considerably. Still, it it a pity that it lacks anything on Austen - I personally don't think you can ignore the Austen franchise when talking about adaptation!
Tim
May 06, 2011 Tim rated it liked it
I'm very interested in intertextuality of all kinds, yet I found this book to be quite frustrating. Sanders mentions some very intriguing concepts yet she tends to immediately jump into extended examples instead of exploring those concepts with any depth. At least 80% of this book is made up of examples. I think a few examples go a long way; it just seems like padding here. This is not a worthless book, but not as good as it could have been.
Mary
A rather boring take at adaptation

Very long winded and uses obscure examples that an audience cannot readily identify or are or have been out of print for a considerable amount of time
Jeremy
Jan 18, 2009 Jeremy rated it it was ok
Fairly dull and hopelessly repetitive. It did not expand my interest in or understanding of intertextuality in any useful way.
Apr 13, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I would give this more of a 3.5 stars. It was a cohesive, smooth read and offered some good information on the subject, but at least for my purposes, it didn't prove overwhelmingly useful.
Laurel L. Perez
Jun 13, 2016 Laurel L. Perez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At first theory heavy, but then Sanders digs into adaptation and appropriation in ways that are worth a closer reading.
Mary
Mary rated it it was ok
Jul 07, 2015
Emilio Lara perea
Emilio Lara perea rated it it was ok
Sep 27, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Lanee
Lanee rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2012
Ainoa
Ainoa rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Nicola
Nicola rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Danielle Fasig
Danielle Fasig rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Julie Kaiser
Julie Kaiser rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2016
Mindy
Mindy rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2011
Maevet
Maevet rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Ingrid Lola
Ingrid Lola rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2009
Lianne-Blue Hodgkins
Lianne-Blue Hodgkins rated it it was ok
Apr 02, 2016
Zack Mollhagen
Zack Mollhagen rated it it was ok
Apr 10, 2013
Guillaume
Guillaume rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2015
Sepide Fallah
Sepide Fallah rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2014
Soup
Soup rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2008
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2016
anima suri
anima suri rated it really liked it
May 31, 2012
Joshua
Joshua rated it it was ok
Apr 23, 2014
Nick
Nick rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2013