Start by marking “Adaptation and Appropriation” as Want to Read:
Adaptation and Appropriation

Adaptation and Appropriation

From the apparently simple adaptation of a text into film, theatre or a new literary work, to the more complex appropriation of style or meaning, it is arguable that all texts are somehow connected to a network of existing texts and art forms. Adaptation and Appropriation explores:

multiple definitions and practices of adaptation and appropriation the cultural and aesthetic
Published December 22nd 2005 by Routledge (first published September 23rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Adaptation and Appropriation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adaptation and Appropriation

Phillip
Mar 22, 2015 Phillip rated it liked it
[Updated Review]: I originally would have rated this 3.5 stars, but rounded up to 4. Now I'm rounding down to 3 after rereading the book with a more substantive background in adaptation studies. While Sanders provides some interesting and insightful readings of specific texts, as a theory survey this book leaves a lot to be desired. One of my big complaints is that the definition section doesn't really give definitions, especially of adaptation. Sanders takes us through a number of types of adap ...more
yoli
Jan 13, 2009 yoli rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school-thesis
A much more academic reading than A Theory of Adapatation , Sanders is constantly referencing "as x said in x, published 19xx, an important text for anyone studying adaptation and/or appropriation." Why thank you, ma'am, for increasing my to-read list so casually and so specifically.

Things I've borrowed/viewed as a result of this book:
- The Hours movie
- As I Lay Dying by Faulkner
- Bluebeard's Egg by Atwood
- Gertrude and Claudius by John Updike
- Human Croquet by Atkinson

I'd better enjoy these! I
Mary
A rather boring take at adaptation

Very long winded and uses obscure examples that an audience cannot readily identify or are or have been out of print for a considerable amount of time
Apr 13, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I would give this more of a 3.5 stars. It was a cohesive, smooth read and offered some good information on the subject, but at least for my purposes, it didn't prove overwhelmingly useful.
Resa
Jun 16, 2010 Resa rated it liked it
Everything is adapted and appropriated, nothing is original. Sometimes the author takes ideas from another work on purpose, sometimes it is subconscious.

This book made me rethink what it means to plagiarize. Sanders purposes a new system for plagiarism, but I think it is fine the way it is.

I am not a fan of the whole idea of every text using other texts ideas, I mean I know it happens, but I still bask books that do it intentionally. To me that is plagiarism, not to mention a low-blow.
Mirte
Nov 29, 2013 Mirte rated it really liked it
Adaptation and Appropriation is a very helpful book about exactly those two things. It gives an introduction to many different types of adaptation and appropriation and uses insightful examples to make her points clear. It also draws from different media - film, writing, music, painting - which broadens the idea of adaptation considerably. Still, it it a pity that it lacks anything on Austen - I personally don't think you can ignore the Austen franchise when talking about adaptation!
Nandini Pradeep J
Jan 08, 2015 Nandini Pradeep J rated it liked it
Though it condenses the ideas in simple terms and simplifies complex ideas, the one issue I have with the text is that it's rather repetitive. But on the positive side, the aforementioned factor makes it an easy read, not to forget, it's an interesting read nevertheless. In fact, for those of us who are interested in intertextuality or critical theory in general, it's a must-read. But of course, do not expect to read something you don't already know.
Tim
May 06, 2011 Tim rated it liked it
I'm very interested in intertextuality of all kinds, yet I found this book to be quite frustrating. Sanders mentions some very intriguing concepts yet she tends to immediately jump into extended examples instead of exploring those concepts with any depth. At least 80% of this book is made up of examples. I think a few examples go a long way; it just seems like padding here. This is not a worthless book, but not as good as it could have been.
Laurel L. Perez
Jun 13, 2016 Laurel L. Perez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At first theory heavy, but then Sanders digs into adaptation and appropriation in ways that are worth a closer reading.
Jeremy
Jan 18, 2009 Jeremy rated it it was ok
Fairly dull and hopelessly repetitive. It did not expand my interest in or understanding of intertextuality in any useful way.
Lina
Skimmed this at best, but it was pretty good actually. I liked the language and the examples a lot.
Rêve
Rêve marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Sahoko
Sahoko rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Anniek
Anniek added it
Aug 04, 2016
Julia Alvares
Julia Alvares marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Andrewmanzi
Andrewmanzi rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Julie Schütz
Julie Schütz marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Sanam
Sanam marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Isabela
Isabela rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Ceren Atbakan
Ceren Atbakan marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Ivana Plevíková
Ivana Plevíková rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2016
Tori
Tori added it
Apr 21, 2016
Ecem Tokuç
Ecem Tokuç marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Caoimhe Smullen
Caoimhe Smullen rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2016