Start by marking “Red Clay, Blue Cadillac: Stories of Twelve Southern Women” as Want to Read:
Red Clay, Blue Cadillac: Stories of Twelve Southern Women

Red Clay, Blue Cadillac: Stories of Twelve Southern Women

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Twelve short stories of all the wrong women.

The author of First Lady and Handling Sin has given us a page turning collection of short stories, with a central theme in each of which the main character is a belle of the South whose talents include a penchant for deceit, betrayal, seduction and sometimes murder. Written in the author's wry and masterful voice, these evocative
Published April 1st 2002 by Sourcebooks, Inc. (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Red Clay, Blue Cadillac, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Clay, Blue Cadillac

Miranda
Maybe I was feeling nostalgic for our years in North Carolina when I took this off the shelf at my New Hampshire library. We used see Malone around, now and then, and I read several of his novels in those years. I'm close to the end of this collection of short stories, and heartily enjoying it. Malone is a hell of a writer - he crafts images, scenes and characters with great skill. I picked this book up after reading two pages of something downright terrible that I'd gotten from the library at t ...more
Michelle
So I don't usually read a lot of short stories, but my book club decided it would be good to take up this genre to shake up things a bit, and it was a great choice! I need more short stories in my life. (1) They're fast, and (2) the challenge of squishing in characters, their pasts, their present, creating whole scenes and scenarios, etc., everything a book does but in just a few pages, fascinates me. I thought Michael Malone did well, and I enjoyed his style. Also, he's a local author, so extra ...more
Lianne
I am a fan of Malone's Hillston mysteries so I had high hopes for these short stories. They did not disappoint. Although the subtitle mentions "stories of twelve southern women" not all of them are told from the female point-of-view. One story uses characters that readers of the Hillston mysteries already know but other stories are very fresh. Malone's presentation of the foibles of small towns in the NC Piedmont are spot on and make me smile.
Lauren
i picked up this book after reading the first story, "stella" in an american lit class. it was a pretty good book, but i ended up liking "stella" the best out of any of the stories, which was a little disappointing since i'd hoped they'd all be that great. because it's a collection of short stories, it's good for beach or plane reading.
Ray Osborn
i'm currently using this book as inspiration for a book of poems called "Remarks", not only quoting but also rearranging the narrative progressions of this book into a series of metaphors around sound and gender inequality. i find the flat and consistent current of this book to be perfect.
Beth
It wasnt bad, but I loved the Cuddy novels and read those in order back to back..I guess I should have had a small break because I was still looking for Cuddy. I do love Malones small town life, and if I find it I am moving there.
Sheri
I read this for book club (I don't normally drift to short stories) and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. If you are from the South, you know at least a few of these women, I promise.
Mary Frances
Wow, I don't even like short stories but you will love these. They have Malone's great characters and slight edge. The first one in the book is the best, but all of them are great.
Majda
I loved this collection, and I'm not a huge fan of short fiction, but I couldn't put these down (okay, I was on an airplane, but even still!).
Patty
Guess I would say this book is about Southern Belles rasing hell.. 12 short stories infused with deceit, betrayal and irony..
Michele
just ok. Not a fan of short stories anyway, but reminds me of the old Earl Gardiner books. Not my cup of tea.
Graf
Malone is the voice of new Southern fiction. This volume of short stories won't disappoint.
RF
Aug 02, 2010 RF rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
This author wrote one of the funniest books I've ever read "Handling Sin." He's also local.
Liz
nice collection of short stories from the south
A.
Every story was good, and a few were outstanding.
Tina Aumiller
these women's stories are excellent.
Ellanor
Nov 17, 2007 Ellanor marked it as to-read
Heard interview with Malone on NPR
Dana
entertaining beach read.
Molly Lynde
So very amusing
Joe Williams
Joe Williams marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Corey Daniel
Corey Daniel marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Tamela
Tamela marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Sandy Eloranto
Sandy Eloranto marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Corky
Corky marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Hilary Schrauth
Hilary Schrauth marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
  • Me and My Baby View the Eclipse
  • The Voice at the Back Door
  • Christmas Stories
  • The Perils of Sherlock Holmes: Short Stories
  • Stories, Essays, and Memoirs (Library of America #102)
  • Platte River
  • Murder in Pigalle
  • Things that Fall from the Sky
  • The Best American Short Stories 2004
  • The Rhetoric of Death
  • I've Got the Light of Freedom: The Organizing Tradition and the Mississippi Freedom Struggle
  • Stories
Michael Malone is the author of ten novels, a collection of short stories, and two works of nonfiction. Educated at Carolina and at Harvard, he is now a professor in Theater Studies at Duke University. Among his prizes are the Edgar, the O. Henry, the Writers Guild Award, and the Emmy. He lives in Hillsborough, North Carolina, with his wife.
More about Michael Malone...
The Four Corners of the Sky Handling Sin The Last Noel Uncivil Seasons (Justin & Cuddy #1) First Lady (Justin & Cuddy #3)