Start by marking “Plays 1: Philadelphia, Here I Come! / The Freedom of the City / Living Quarters / Aristocrats / Faith Healer / Translations” as Want to Read:

A collection of six plays by the Irish playwright, Brian Friel.
Philadelphia, Here I Come! -- The Freedom of the City -- Living Quarters -- Aristocrats -- Faith Healers -- Translations
Published January 22nd 1996 by Faber & Faber

To ask other readers questions about Plays 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plays 1

Renée
Feb 20, 2015 Renée rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school-texts
FREEDOM OF THE CITY

A very touching play based on the events of Bloody Sunday in Derry, Ireland, 1970. The play follows Michael Hegarty, an activist and protester for Civil Right, Lily Doherty, a mother of 11 living in the Catholic Bogside and Adrian "Skinner" Casimir, an insightful, quick and spontaneous man also involved in the protest.
The three cross paths and end up in the Guildhall, where their stories and lifestyles are revealed to the audience giving us a wider understanding of three very
Phillip
Nov 17, 2014 Phillip rated it it was amazing
Shelves: drama
Probably my favorite play in this collection is The Freedom of the City, which directly confronts the arbitrary nature of violence in the Northern Ireland Troubles. Part of the problem Friel identifies is that narratives are imposed on events regardless of the facts--narratives of poverty, terrorism, violence, and resistance, which may distort the actual experience of an event.

I also really like Translations, but I think I have a separate review of that.

Philadelphia, Here I Come was good, and Ar
Colleen
Jun 29, 2011 Colleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: irish-literature
I just finished reading the last play in this Friel collection. I had seen Aristocrats on stage in Dublin and thought it was ok, but I enjoyed it much more reading the actual play. My other favorites in this collection are Translations, Living Quarters, and Faith Healer. I guess I'll move on to Volume 2 now....
Greg McConeghy
Jan 03, 2015 Greg McConeghy rated it really liked it
5 stars for Philadelphia, Here I Come and Aristocrats. 4 for The Freedom of the City and Living Quarters
tom
tom rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2011
József
Just Translations
Rob Ward
Rob Ward rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2013
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was ok
Aug 03, 2014
Mel
Mel rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2015
Gabrielle
Gabrielle rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2013
Gavin Malavolta
Gavin Malavolta rated it really liked it
May 31, 2015
Aoife
Aoife rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2012
Ellen
Ellen rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2014
Tom Harris
Tom Harris rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
Emerald Menor
Emerald Menor rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2013
Ronan Killeen
Ronan Killeen rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2014
Isabella Le
Isabella Le rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Ben Alcock
Ben Alcock rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2015
Laura Heron
Laura Heron rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2013
Mia Hunt
Mia Hunt rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2013
Kevin Phelan
Kevin Phelan rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2015
Simon
Simon rated it it was amazing
Jana
Jana rated it really liked it
Matthew Fox
Matthew Fox rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2014
Leon
Leon rated it liked it
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2011
Lisa Coen
Lisa Coen rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2014
Claine
Claine rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2016
Reid
Reid rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Brian Friel is a playwright and, more recently, director of his own works from Ireland who now resides in County Donegal.

Friel was born in Omagh County Tyrone, the son of Patrick "Paddy" Friel, a primary school teacher and later a borough councillor in Derry, and Mary McLoone, postmistress of Glenties, County Donegal (Ulf Dantanus provides the most detail regarding Friel's parents and grandparents
More about Brian Friel...