Start by marking “She's Not There: A Poppy Rice Novel” as Want to Read:
She's Not There: A Poppy Rice Novel

She's Not There: A Poppy Rice Novel (Poppy Rice Mystery #2)

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In Poppy Rice's second venture, the smart, outspoken FBI agent's vacation is rudely interrupted by a sinister murder
FBI agent Poppy Rice is, rather unwillingly, taking time off to recuperate from injuries sustained on the job. A few days into her ill-conceived vacation on Block Island with Joe, her sometime-lover and soul mate, she happens upon a corpse dumped in the mid
Published February 3rd 2003 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about She's Not There, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She's Not There

Chrissy
I got this book in a bag from a friend and dug it out because I was looking for a good murder mystery. I was not too disappointed. The characters were memorable in their down to earth way, but the relationship between Poppy Rice and Joe was awkward. I guess I should have read the previous book to learn more about them. The murder side of things was interesting - the killer preyed on teen girls who were sent to a decrepit summer camp to lose weight. The author used the term FAT throughout the boo ...more
Judi
FBI agent Poppy Rice is starting day three of her mid-July vacation on Block Island, located off the Rhode Island coast. Mind you, Poppy was more or less forced to take this time off, but after two days of fishing, kayaking, biking, hiking, bodysurfing and swimming, she's looking forward to seeing what Joe has in mind for this day. If you read the first novel, you know that Joe Barnow is a chief field advisor for the ATF and that although Poppy likes him, it's not like she wants to committed rel ...more
Susie
I normally don't read mysteries, but after having loved Mary-Ann Tirone Smith's Girls of Tender Age, I'm slowly making my way through her other novels. I've read the two previous books Poppy Rice appeared in (An American Killing and Love Her Madly, of which only the latter was an official "Poppy Rice Mystery") and this is my least favorite of the three. I think Tirone Smith is a masterful writer but I prefer her memoir and her historical novels to the mysteries, which seem to suffer from a lack ...more
Holger  C Andersen
This is the first book I have read by Mary-Ann Tirone Smith, and it was a fine introduction for me to her works.
On an island there is a "Fat-farm" for young girls and as more dead bodies occurs, there is a ban on leaving the island, so actually we here deal with the classic murder in a closed room.
The book os well written amd has very few loose ends.
I have read numerous crime stories through the years, but I have never been tempted to loo at the last pages to see who did it.
But I always guess.
In
Susie
I thought this was the strongest of the three Poppy Rice mysteries. The secondary characters were fleshed out in a more believable way than the first two - it felt like Tirone Smith was just hitting her stride. I'm sorry this seems to be the last book in the series.
Michelle
I'm not usually able to get into this type of book. It was very good and very unpredictable. The main character isn't full of herself which usually stops me from reading any kind of female detective book.
Rob Jansing
Great descriptions of the island, and a good story that had me turning the pages, however I did feel like the character development was lacking just a bit, which hurt the ending a bit.
Kevin
By-the-numbers whodunit benefits from a nice sense of place, but rote and clumsy exposition repeatedly stalls the narrative. The denouement especially suffers.
Dev
Boilerplate female mysteries with silly conceits like how this FBI agent gets to run around the US picking her cases that all happen to fall in her lap.
Nicole
The further I go into the Poppy Rice series, the less I like her. I'm not sure why this is, but I probably won't buy anymore of the series.
Ginger Dodds
Now I want to read the other Poppy Ruce novels. This was a great read. A good old fashioned murder mystery.
Tracey
This book was only okay. It was about an FBI agent on vacation who stumbles on a murder.
Robin
Robin added it
Dec 06, 2014
Joellen Esworthy
Joellen Esworthy is currently reading it
Dec 05, 2014
Liwen
Liwen marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Ashley
Ashley is currently reading it
Aug 15, 2014
Aletha
Aletha marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Leeann Cooper
Leeann Cooper marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Wild Kat (Kat Colorado, #5)
  • Black Orchid
  • Wither's Legacy (Wendy Ward, #3)
  • Virus (Med Center, #1)
  • Brother of the Dragon (Dragonlance: Barbarians, #2)
  • Restore My Heart (Mustang Sally Trilogy #1)
  • America's Dumbest Criminals: Wild and Weird Stories of Fumbling Felons, Clumsy Crooks, and Ridiculous Robbers
  • Judgment of the Grave
  • Wizards' Conclave (Dragonlance: The Age of Mortals, #5)
  • Artifacts of Death
  • Puppets
  • Tell No Lies
  • Murder Caribbean-Style (High Seas Mystery Series #1)
  • Blues in the Night (Molly Blume, #1)
  • Echoes of Lies (Brodie Farrell, #1)
  • The Case of the Roasted Onion (The Casebook of Dr. McKenzie, #1)
  • Dezra's Quest (Dragonlance: Bridges of Time, #5)
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Sleeping Dog (Encyclopedia Brown, #21)
Mary-Ann Tirone Smith is the author of eight novels. She has lived all her life in Connecticut, except for two years when she served as a Peace Corps volunteer in Cameroon.
More about Mary-Ann Tirone Smith...
Girls of Tender Age: A Memoir Love Her Madly The Book of Phoebe An American Killing Dirty Water: A Red Sox Mystery