Omaha Beach and Beyond: The Long March of Sergeant Bob Slaughter

Omaha Beach and Beyond: The Long March of Sergeant Bob Slaughter

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  7 reviews
“Slaughter vividly conveys the reality of combat during World War II in his book with sweeping passages that literally place his reader on the battlefield beside him.”
Belvoir Eagle

Before D-Day, regular army soldiers called the National Guardsmen of Virginias 116th Infantry Regiment "Home Nannies," "Weekend Warriors," and worse. On June 6, 1944, on Omaha Beach, however, th...more
Published June 15th 2007 by Zenith Press

Craig Anderson
Folks, let me tell you. I read a multitude of books each year and maybe, just maybe there are a handful that makes it to my hands that will forever stay on my shelf. This is one of those books. Don’t get me wrong, I have read some good ones and have enjoyed many of them. However, I am talking about a step above the betters.

What really drew me into this book was the personal and genuine way that this story was told. I actually felt that I was sitting and talking, just Bob and myself. A story that...more
Dachokie
Omaha Beach through the Eyes of Teenage Boy ..., August 8, 2011

Of the scores of books covering the dramatic D-Day invasion in 1944, there are relatively few first-hand accounts from those who survived the initial assault on Omaha Beach, let alone live long enough to write about it 65 years later. Thankfully, Sgt. Bob Slaughter is still alive to serve as one, if not the last, voice of a generation of (very) young men that accomplished the deadly and daring task of storming the beaches of Normand...more
John Nevola
This book is an important contribution to the first-person accounts of the Second World War. Sergeant Slaughter was one of the few who survived the slaughterhouse (no pun intended) of Omaha Beach on D-Day.
As a member of the 116th Infantry Regiment (a direct descendent of Stonewall Jackson’s Second Brigade, nicknamed “The Stonewallers”), of the 29th Infantry Division, he experienced some of the War’s most brutal fighting and heartfelt disappointments.

The “Blue and Gray” division was one of the f...more
Jay
I spent some time thinking about how I would rate this book. In terms of importance, this book rates easily at 5-stars, namely because a book like this needs to be written so as to not forget what happened. This is especially the case because this book was written by someone who was there. However, I found the actual book, namely the battle descriptions, hard to wrap my mind around, although I certainly did enjoy reading this book. Lets just hope more people are able to share their experiences d...more
Margaret Elder
This is a book that I could not put down. While reading it, I commented that it would be hard from now on to complain about anything in my own life. The endurance of the soldiers who lived through these battles is amazing, and the fact that so many were cut down in youth is so sad. The heroes of World War II should never be forgotten, and this book is a fascinating look at war told from a heroic soldier's perspective. I highly recommend it!
Steve
The author of this book joined the National Guard in Bedford Virginia and was assigned to the 29th Division which landed on Omaha Beach in Normandy on D-Day June 6, 1944. He describes the preparation and landing as well as horrific experiences in the battle of Normandy. He also describes the battles from Omaha Beach, St. Lo, and into Germany.
John
First hand account of the Omaha Beach landing on D-Day. For a history maven it doesn't get any better than this. Good stuff. Loved it.
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Daniel Boe
Daniel Boe marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
John Nellis
John Nellis marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Maddhatter
Maddhatter marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Cindy Barnett
Cindy Barnett marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Baskintm
Baskintm marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Brittany Kay
Brittany Kay marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Robert Thomas
Robert Thomas marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2013
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2013
Todd
Todd marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
Joe Creason
Joe Creason marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Paul Weltzer
Paul Weltzer marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Craig
Craig marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013