Start by marking “The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies” as Want to Read:
The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies

The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies

The Haunted Mansion is one of the most popular and beloved attractions in Disney theme park history, and can be found in each Magic Kingdom Park around the globe. The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies will illustrate how the Mansion's 999 "grim grinning ghosts" moved from sketches to reality, evolving from earliest story concepts through adaptations and ...more
Published October 1st 2003 by Disney Editions

Sesana
Aug 09, 2013 Sesana rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, disney
I'm a hardcore, unashamed fan of Disney, especially Disney World, and the Haunted Mansion is my single favorite ride... Well, anywhere. So I obviously had to read this book. There are three parts here: the development of the four versions of the ride, a complete tour of the experience, and (sadly) a behind-the-scenes look at the Haunted Mansion movie that was, when this was published, about to be released.

I could have done without the section on the movie, and been much happier if, instead, the
Lou Robinson
Jan 28, 2013 Lou Robinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having been a life long fan of the Haunted Mansion (it's number 1 on my top 5 rides in Disney), I found this book a curiosity, interesting and full of facts about the creepy place. The book is split into 3 parts, firstly explaining the background to the ride and how it stayed as a mere concept for years and took far longer than you would imagine to come to fruition. The second part was the most interesting part for me, as it takes you step by step through the ride in your doom buggie pointing ou ...more
D.M.
May 28, 2010 D.M. rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mansion fans; Disney fanatics; lovers of darkside trickery
I'm only slightly ashamed to admit to being a Disney fan, but the Haunted Mansion is absolutely THE thing for me when it comes right down to it.
We picked up this book on our last trip to Disneyworld a few years ago, and it does not disappoint. It covers the development of the ride, does a pretty through walkthrough of the three different versions of the ride (in four different parks) and then goes into the (unfortunate) attempt to capture the spirit (sorry) of the attraction in the Eddie Murphy
Brian
Sep 13, 2011 Brian rated it liked it
Greetings Foolish Mortals! Are you a fan of the Haunted Mansion? If so, this is the book for you. This book gives the history of the famous Disney attraction, complete with how it got started, as well as the differences in the many different versions. Did you ever want a walkthrough of the ride? Well look no further. Like most technical books, some of the text was kind of boring, but the pictures were amazing. However, the last third focuses on the very lame Haunted Mansion movie, thus bumping t ...more
Kitty
Nov 22, 2008 Kitty rated it really liked it
Shelves: disney, non-fiction
If you're a fan, it's great fun

This attraction, at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World, is one of my favorites, and holds some sentimental value. Because of that, I enjoyed this book immensely. There are photos, drawings, stories about the creation, and a few "legends" surrounding the mystery. While some of it I knew, there were some interesting tidbits I'd never heard before. The author is obviously a fan, too, and his enthusiasm comes through in the writing.
Stephanie
Dec 25, 2014 Stephanie rated it really liked it
This was a great read for someone who is a Disney fanatic. Haunted mansion is one of my favorite rides and this gave me interesting details I didn't know! It also made me want to be on the ride.

I really enjoyed the glimpses at Phantom Manor as well, but wish more detail had been included on the other versions of Haunted Mansion as well.
Ian
Aug 21, 2013 Ian rated it liked it
There's enough information here that's worth reading, but I wouldn't mind it if, when Mr. Surrell passes away, his ghost is fitted the chains he forged in life--each link representing a platitude, unnecessary modifier, or wonkily structured sentence that he's written.
Biz
Sep 27, 2007 Biz rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Disney fans
Shelves: disney
Excellent history/documentary book of Disney's Haunted Mansion. A must have for any Mansion fan!

Gives a lot of backstory anecdotes about the mansion from its humble beginnings in Walt and the Imagineer's minds to the release of the (disappointing) movie in 2005.
John
As the only official Disney tome on Disney's most beloved theme park attraction, this is an important book, so it's sad to say that it's rather flawed. Though the book is essential reading for any Disneyland or Walt Disney World afficionado--and is gorgeously illustrated throughout with color photos and reproductions of concept art--the text desperately needed to be proofread by at least one or two more sets of eyes. Word-break hyphens appear in mid-line of text ("attrac- tions" on p. 14, for in ...more
Whitney Garrett
Dec 17, 2013 Whitney Garrett rated it really liked it
This was a great behind-the-scenes look at the extensive and lengthy process behind the making of the Haunted Mansion. I really enjoyed it! The Haunted Mansion is one of my favorite rides at Disney World, and its history is fascinating! I'd delved into this topic before, but this book had quite a few things that I'd never heard before, and the production photos really enhanced the experience.

The only reason I gave it four instead of five stars is that the book geared up to the last chapter, whic
Kaye
Aug 03, 2010 Kaye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
My only reason for reading this book was that after visiting Disneyland Paris I wanted to know more about the theme park. This was the only book in my library system that a search brought up. After such a silly reason to pick up a book I was surprised at how much I liked it. The first third of the book gives the history of the attraction at Disneyland. The Haunted House was erected almost 10 years before the attraction opened as they worked out the details, effects and story-line for the house. ...more
Brian Daniel
Jun 14, 2014 Brian Daniel rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It's not a traditional read. Rather, it chronicles the history of one of Disney's most storied attractions: The Haunted Mansion. I've been visiting the parks and reading books about Walt Disney and imagineering for a few years now. Even though The Haunted Mansion is one of my favorite attractions, I never could put my finger on why so many Disney enthusiasts were so obsessed with it. My hope was that reading Surrell's book would help me understand the Haunted Mansion phenomeno ...more
Peyton
Feb 08, 2013 Peyton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
I recently visited Walt Disney World for the first time, and went through The Haunted Mansion on my very first night there. It was a magical ride, but I didn't have any idea how magical until I bought this book from the vendor outside the Mansion gates.

This book opens the vault on so many secrets and shadows that I almost feel as if I've been taken on a personal tour through the old spook house. The concept art is fascinating, and I enjoyed reading about the differences between the three version
Lexi
Sep 05, 2013 Lexi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So it looks like this would be about the lame movie Disney did about the ride but it really is about the entire progression of the rides in each Disney park. Reading about the original concept and then all the different directions the ride took was incredible. BUT what made this book worth reading was all the original art, whether it was conceptual drawings or finished paintings you now see in the portrait gallery.

As this was my second favorite ride as a kid I enjoyed reading about the decade lo
Zazzu
Jun 19, 2016 Zazzu rated it really liked it
I've thumbed this well but never read it cover to cover. All the funnest dirt of the Mansion. I think the movie could have been decent without Eddie Murphy....he just didn't gel somehow in this film. He's....too over the top, maybe an actor who's a little more subtle could have made this movie more believable.

But anyways, this book makes one drool to see all the Manors and compare them. I've only seen the Mansion at Disneyworld....but would happily travel to France to see the version there!
David Williams
May 08, 2014 David Williams rated it really liked it
If you have a slightly more than basic knowledge of The Haunted Mansion then this book is little more than a reinforcement of the ride;s history and its vignettes. But, this book is jammed full of little tidbits of trivia, concept art and the like, so it's nearly essential for anyone who's a Haunted Mansion nerd.
Rachel
Nov 19, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this detailed look and the attraction. The descriptions of some of the effects in the Mansion was interesting and for me weren't spoilers for the ride. I think I will just enjoy the attraction more when I get to ride again. I just skimmed though the last third of the book about the movie. By all accounts it's pretty horrible (the movie not that part of the book :).
Regina Hunter
Jun 16, 2012 Regina Hunter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book with good explanation and pictures. It is very inspirational and interesting. Also progression through different pictures and ages. I personally enjoyed to see how styles changed based on the tastes of the viewers and directors.
Chad
Feb 25, 2014 Chad rated it really liked it
One of my favourite rides at Disney :) It is great to hear about the way that the different rides came together and the behind the scenes stuff on it.

Any fans of the ride would do well to read this.
Jaclyn
Aug 19, 2011 Jaclyn rated it really liked it
A great book for the Disney geek. I really enjoyed the wall-to-wall walk-through of the mansions, including differences between the different Disney parks. The Phantom Manor at Disneyland Paris is now on my bucket list. :)
Kristen
I am a Disney freak and the Haunted Mansion is my all time favorite ride! This is a great book filled with insider details, photos and concept sketches. A great read for any Disney/haunted mansion fan!
Linda
Jan 16, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
If I can't be there, at least I can read about it! Love the "behind the scene" glimpse at all of the Haunted Mansions plus the movie version!
Jaime Contreras
Jul 24, 2011 Jaime Contreras rated it liked it
This was a fun book to look through. the writing is decent but there is a blatant sales angle to this book: Visit the various Haunted Mansiosn at the Disney parks.
Kennen
Jun 12, 2008 Kennen rated it really liked it
Its pretty cool but all the different story lines they came up with are pretty scary! Pretty good though!
Rachel
Dec 26, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
So fun to read about all the ins and outs of Haunted Mansion and its origins and secrets! LOVED IT!
Lynn
Sep 27, 2015 Lynn rated it really liked it
I love the Haunted Mansion. I love WDW. Reading this book was fun!
John
Oct 09, 2015 John rated it it was amazing
If you want to know anything about ANY of the Haunted Mansions (or the movie) this is the definitive source. Great book!
Abraham Ray
Oct 20, 2012 Abraham Ray rated it it was amazing
great book about both the ride & the movie!
Scott Rogers
Oct 06, 2012 Scott Rogers rated it really liked it
The only think keeping me from rating this a five is that it covers the horrible Haunted Mansion movie - not the author's fault, but the history on the mansion is quite thorough. An excellent book.
Victor Espinoza
Nov 19, 2009 Victor Espinoza rated it it was amazing
the mens name is jim and his wife gets trapd in a room sow jim and hies tow dathers help heim brik the curst....
  • The Imagineering Field Guide to Disneyland
  • Designing Disney
  • The Disneyland® Encyclopedia: The Unofficial, Unauthorized, and Unprecedented History of Every Land, Attraction, Restaurant, Shop, and Event in the Original Magic Kingdom®
  • Walt Disney's Legends of Imagineering and the Genesis of the Disney Theme Park
  • Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look At Making the Magic Real
  • 101 Things You Never Knew about Disneyland
  • The Disney Villain
  • Hidden Mickeys: A Field Guide to Walt Disney World's Best Kept Secrets
  • It's Kind Of A Cute Story
  • Dream It! Do It! (The People, The Places, The Projects): My Half-Century Creating Disney's Magic Kingdoms