Start by marking “Dog Day” as Want to Read:
Dog Day

Dog Day

3.0 of 5 stars 3.00  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Ben and Ellie have a new teacher. But wait a minute – the new teacher is a dog named Riff! With Riff in charge, reading, writing, and arithmetic are abandoned in favor of lessons in barking, scratching, and digging holes – and Ben, Ellie, and their friends couldn’t be happier. Then Mrs. Pink, the principal, comes to check on the class. What will she think of their dog day? ...more
Published August 5th 2008 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Dog Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Day

Shel
Hayes, S. (2008). Dog Day. New York: Brubaker & Ford Ltd.

Dog Day is the surrealist tale of a class of humans being taught by a dog. The dog is in no way humanized, but stays true to his doggie self. Ben and Ellie, the featured children, learn to sniff, wag their tails, bark, growl, etc. It very carefully sneaks around requiring the human characters to eat dog food or go to, ah-hem, relieve themselves as dogs would.

The illustrations are vibrant and support the text well, while incor
Meg McGregor
A new teacher is at school and he is a dog! Yes, a dog!

Soon, the curriculum changes from reading, writing, and arithmetic, to barking, panting, sleeping, eating, growling, etc.

I think I would like to attend a dog day!
Brooke
What would you learn in school if your teacher were a dog? How to be a dog of course! This is a silly, interactive book that the kids had fun with. Good for lapsit & family story times.
Natalie
Cute and funny. Kids could totally act this one out along with it being read aloud.

The picture of everyone wagging their bottom is priceless.

And I'm glad it just skirts around the issue of dog poo. I'm over crassness. Crassness is out in '09.

Vicki
I love the idea of this book, you can have the listeners act out the different actions of the dog. But it is a bit quirky. Great for having children use their imaginations! Best used for the school age crowd.
Denise
This is just crass, there's nothing about it I like. The children go to school and discover their teacher is a dog so they learn to wag their "tails," bark, and yes, lift their legs.
Barbara
really fun to read with a preschooler--my daughter really enjoyed the premise that a dog could be the teacher in her class, as she acted out the different dog antics.
Daniel

what if a 'dog' is your teacher?
involves many body actions!
fun to read at first week of school! :)

very creative!
animal fun:)
Lauren
I didn't like the illustrations, but I like the text...might be funny for a class visit, if you can convince them to participate.
Tina
"dogs, read-aloud, school, excellent movement for storytime, dog is the substitute teacher, kids follow all actions"
Susan
another mediocre picture book. dog "teaches" class and the kids learn to growl, sniff, scratch, etc.
Ecl  Storytellers
A whole book about acting like a dog. Great idea to get kids moving in storytime.
Paula

Ben and Ellie's class has a new teacher, and it's a dog named Riff!
Susan Bazzett-griffith
Adam says, "I liked everything about this book. Period."
Adriana
T
T marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Andy Blackwell
Andy Blackwell marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Ryan Oliveira
Ryan Oliveira marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Nene Richards
Nene Richards marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Angie
Angie added it
Jul 17, 2013
Anna
Anna added it
Jul 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
This is the Bear: Read and Share The Candlewick Book of Fairy Tales This Is the Bear and the Scary Night Eat Up, Gemma This Is The Bear And The Picnic Lunch