Start by marking “Dog Day” as Want to Read:
Dog Day

Dog Day

Ben and Ellie have a new teacher. But wait a minute – the new teacher is a dog named Riff! With Riff in charge, reading, writing, and arithmetic are abandoned in favor of lessons in barking, scratching, and digging holes – and Ben, Ellie, and their friends couldn’t be happier. Then Mrs. Pink, the principal, comes to check on the class. What will she think of their dog day? ...more
Published August 5th 2008 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Dog Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Day

Danielle Mootz
May 30, 2016 Danielle Mootz rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
The kids at school learn to act like a dog.
Shel
Feb 28, 2009 Shel rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Hayes, S. (2008). Dog Day. New York: Brubaker & Ford Ltd.

Dog Day is the surrealist tale of a class of humans being taught by a dog. The dog is in no way humanized, but stays true to his doggie self. Ben and Ellie, the featured children, learn to sniff, wag their tails, bark, growl, etc. It very carefully sneaks around requiring the human characters to eat dog food or go to, ah-hem, relieve themselves as dogs would.

The illustrations are vibrant and support the text well, while incor
Lizzy Herda
Apr 20, 2016 Lizzy Herda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal, picture-books
Dog Day is about a boy and a girl named Ben and Ellie who have a new teacher for the day, except the new teacher is a dog. The dog is named riff and teaches the students how to act and be like a dog. Teaching them to bark, wag their tails, scratch their ears, and shake, the students always do what their dog teacher does.
I would use this book in my classroom for the first day of school to show that I am the teacher and my students should be doing what I say, just how the students were copying t
Reana Smiley
Jul 18, 2015 Reana Smiley rated it liked it
Hayes, Sarah, and Hannah Broadway. Dog Day. New York: Farrar Straus Giroux, 2008. Print. Picture book. This book is about a classroom that gets a dog as a teacher for a day. The children learn how to act like dogs. This particular book would likely be fun for children. The book can be highly interactive, as there are many actions for children to act out. This book covers a lot about dog behaviors, so children can use this to learn about dogs. The illustrations in this book are cute, and there is ...more
Amber Fisher
A fiction book about a dog that becomes the teacher for the day. The children learn to wag their tails, dig holes, sniff, bark, and run around. The children like being dogs until their principal comes in to see what is going on. Soon, the principal joins the kids in wagging their tails and acting like a dog too. The readers will see how silly this book is. It can be used to create a fun activity to learn what it's like to be a dog. The reader can read the book and the children can act out like ...more
Jillian
Jun 22, 2016 Jillian rated it did not like it
This one didn't do a whole lot for me. The concept was interesting, but even with the potential for a lot of follow-along action, there just isn't much of a story there. (Besides, the parents at my library probably wouldn't appreciate the leg-lifting actions, much less the kid who says "It smells like poo.")

It was on my to-be-weeded list after no one checked it out for more than three years.
Vicki
Apr 03, 2013 Vicki rated it liked it
I love the idea of this book, you can have the listeners act out the different actions of the dog. But it is a bit quirky. Great for having children use their imaginations! Best used for the school age crowd.
Meg McGregor
Apr 09, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
A new teacher is at school and he is a dog! Yes, a dog!

Soon, the curriculum changes from reading, writing, and arithmetic, to barking, panting, sleeping, eating, growling, etc.

I think I would like to attend a dog day!
Natalie
Oct 20, 2008 Natalie rated it really liked it
Cute and funny. Kids could totally act this one out along with it being read aloud.

The picture of everyone wagging their bottom is priceless.

And I'm glad it just skirts around the issue of dog poo. I'm over crassness. Crassness is out in '09.

Barbara
Nov 10, 2008 Barbara rated it really liked it
really fun to read with a preschooler--my daughter really enjoyed the premise that a dog could be the teacher in her class, as she acted out the different dog antics.
Brooke
What would you learn in school if your teacher were a dog? How to be a dog of course! This is a silly, interactive book that the kids had fun with. Good for lapsit & family story times.
Tina Bartholoma
Dec 10, 2009 Tina Bartholoma rated it liked it
"dogs, read-aloud, school, excellent movement for storytime, dog is the substitute teacher, kids follow all actions"
Denise
Sep 16, 2008 Denise rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
This is just crass, there's nothing about it I like. The children go to school and discover their teacher is a dog so they learn to wag their "tails," bark, and yes, lift their legs.
Susan
Jan 23, 2009 Susan rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
another mediocre picture book. dog "teaches" class and the kids learn to growl, sniff, scratch, etc.
Daniel

what if a 'dog' is your teacher?
involves many body actions!
fun to read at first week of school! :)

very creative!
animal fun:)
Lauren
Oct 18, 2008 Lauren rated it liked it
Shelves: school
I didn't like the illustrations, but I like the text...might be funny for a class visit, if you can convince them to participate.
Cate
Cate rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2008
The Library Lady
The Library Lady rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2008
Natalie
Natalie rated it it was ok
Nov 25, 2014
Pghgranola
Pghgranola rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2010
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2008
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Kathy Ellen Davis
Kathy Ellen Davis rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2011
Eloise
Eloise rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2015
Angie Quantrell
Angie Quantrell rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2009
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it liked it
May 07, 2009