Start by marking “Embrace of the Daimon: Sensuality and the Integration of Forbidden Imagery in Depth Psychology” as Want to Read:

Some call the imaginal the realm of the archetypes, the home of the gods and goddesses, the land of the daimon, or the source of creativity. Others simply call it the soul. The daimon of the imaginal world facilitate the incarnation of soul into the physical body, and transforming these dark energies allows us to progress as spiritual beings, to live life from a more consc ...more
Published July 15th 2001 by Nicolas Hays (first published July 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Embrace of the Daimon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Embrace of the Daimon

Joel Friedlander
Oct 23, 2014 Joel Friedlander rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: designed-by-me
This is a challenging book in more ways than one, but it's also a book that will repay the time you put into it. The author had some very unusual experiences at a critical time in her life and this book is her attempt at coming to terms with the penetration into ordinary reality of some decidedly non-ordinary visions. Although I'm not a student of Jungian psychology, I found the book intelligent and educational, and it has stayed with me quite some time.
Peter Morris
Nov 14, 2016 Peter Morris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Embrace of the Daimon is a deeply fascinating publication – one which most impressively features some excellent commentary on C. G Jung’s psycho-spiritual interpretation of the medieval practice of alchemy.

In particular these relate to the alchemical concepts of ‘coniunctio’, the union experience and ‘nigredo’ or the dissolution process and how they relate to the emergence of the Daimon spirit.

Dennis believes that as the daimonic forces rises within us all so emerges the challenge of letting go
Lisa Wendell
This is her dissertation. It is barely readable, let alone understandable by any other than someone with an advanced degree in feminist depth psychology (her colleagues and mentors). Only because I have done considerable reading over the years in this area was I able to decipher some of her onerous repetitive rambling. This is not to say that what Dennis has written isn't interesting (if almost unintelligible), but it is hardly a book for someone with even a passing interest in feminism, Jung, s ...more
David
Jun 02, 2013 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: depth-psychology
Very interesting reading, a fresh perspective on the subtle body, the imaginal, daimonic, as a positive force to be embraced in an alchemical union. Explains much.
Sandra Dennis
May 13, 2014 Sandra Dennis rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Excerpts from PRAISE/ REVIEWER comments for: "Embrace of the Daimon":

—Richard Tarnas, PhD, "Passion of the Western Mind"
“Sandra Dennis has written a courageous, important book...she moves psychology into a fuller engagement with the uncharted depths of archetypal, imaginal reality embedded in bodily experience...a pioneering work that forges a bridge between the worlds of the scholar and the visionary...a significant contribution to the phenomenology of altered states of consciousness."

—Thoma
Nancy
Sep 25, 2015 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway.
This was very interesting book with a lot of advanced information in it. A bit difficult for a lay person to comprehend. It certainly challenged me and had me thinking outside my worldview.
Megan S Spark
I am interested in the topic, and enjoyed this frank exploration of it, but for an average length book it seemed much longer. However it educated me, offering new understanding, so I believe it well worth the effort.
Diana Emilian
Diana Emilian rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2014
Jesse
Jesse rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Lovebunz
Lovebunz rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2015
Brian Alger
Brian Alger rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2014
Greta Brookes
Greta Brookes rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Leila
Leila rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2012
Jo Roden
Jo Roden rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2016
Joanna Karlin
Joanna Karlin rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
John Deltuvia
John Deltuvia rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Alexis
Alexis rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Robert Winer
Robert Winer rated it it was ok
Jul 22, 2016
Chris Feldman
Chris Feldman rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2009
S J Norman
S J Norman rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Bobby Joyner
Bobby Joyner rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it it was ok
Oct 12, 2014
Jenna
Jenna rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2014
Helen Ingram
Helen Ingram rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Nausicaä  Nausicaä
Nausicaä Nausicaä rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2013
David smith
David smith rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2014
Love & Social Change: Free Jungian Book Giveaway 3 15 Jul 25, 2015 07:32AM
The Study of the ...: Free Jungian Book Giveaway 1 16 Jul 24, 2015 09:19AM
Readers That Love...: Free Jungian Book Giveaway 1 3 Jul 24, 2015 09:18AM
Shrink Rap (Psych...: Free Jungian Book Giveaway 1 17 Jul 24, 2015 09:17AM
Mind, Body and Sp...: Free Jungian Book Giveaway 1 5 Jul 24, 2015 09:16AM
Book Giveaways: Free Jungian Book Giveaway 1 9 Jul 24, 2015 09:13AM
Reviews from elsewhere 1 2 May 13, 2014 06:35PM
  • Alchemical Studies (Collected Works 13)
  • Alchemical Active Imagination
  • Anatomy of the Psyche: Alchemical Symbolism in Psychotherapy (Reality of the Psyche)
  • Meeting the Shadow: The Hidden Power of the Dark Side of Human Nature (New Consciousness Reader)
  • The Origins and History of Consciousness (Bollingen Series, 42)
  • The World of Silence
  • Vampires and Vampirism: Legends from Around the World
  • Classical Literary Criticism (Penguin Classics)
  • Beyond Words: Daily Readings in the ABC's of Faith
  • Pascal's Wager: The Man Who Played Dice with God
  • Seeing Eye and Other Selected Essays from Christian Reflections
  • How Would Buddha Think?: 1,501 Right-Intention Teachings for Cultivating a Peaceful Mind
  • Hauntings: Dispelling the Ghosts Who Run Our Lives
  • First There is a Mountain: A Yoga Romance
  • Defiant Joy: The Remarkable Life and   Impact of G.K. Chesterton
Sandra Lee Dennis, PhD, is an author, teacher and explorer of the interplay of depth psychology and spirituality. She holds an MA in Social Psychology from the University of Michigan and a PhD in Integral Studies/Psychology and Religion from The California Institute of Integral Studies.

She has been on the faculty at six universities, as well as the San Francisco C.G. Jung Institute. She was a tea
More about Sandra Lee Dennis...

“Some of us will admit to a simple fascination with the inner world for its own sake, a fascination with no further goal than the thrill of discovery, the pleasure of engaging the mysterious, dark ground of our own nature.” 1 likes