Start by marking “Letters from Pemberley: The First Year” as Want to Read:
Letters from Pemberley: The First Year

Letters from Pemberley: The First Year

3.43  ·  Rating Details ·  1,462 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
In this continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, one of the best-loved novels in the English language, Elizabeth Bennet finds herself in a very different league of wealth and privilege, now as Mrs. Fitzwilliam Darcy and mistress of Pemberley. Writing to her sister, Jane, she confides her uncertainty and anxieties, and describes the everyday of her new life. Her f ...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Letters from Pemberley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters from Pemberley

Khanh (the Grinch)
Sep 01, 2014 Khanh (the Grinch) rated it really liked it
Such a quick, lovely little read for all Pride and Prejudice lovers. It is truly uncomplicated. A comfort read, at its finest. Nothing hurts about this book. It made me smile. I flew through it in half an hour, no, really. That's how sweet, and fast, and uncomplicated it was. I didn't think. I didn't hate.

I read. I enjoyed. I smiled. Half an hour, really. I read fast :)

This book is in epistolary form, meaning it is presented in letters. More specifically, letters written from Elizabeth to her si
Anna
Aug 28, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: austenesque
Letters From Pemberley is an epistolary continuation of Pride and Prejudice that is a pure comfort read. It contains the letters written by Elizabeth Darcy to her sister Jane Bingley during her first year as Mistress of Pemberley, from February to December 1813. I read the book in just a couple of hours, and it was a pleasant way to spend an evening.

The novel basically is a one-sided conversation, as only Elizabeth’s letters are featured, but Dawkins does a good job showing how Mr. Darcy has cha
Carole (in Canada)
Jan 01, 2016 Carole (in Canada) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: JAFF
Shelves: favorites
I bought and read this book several years ago as it is an epislatory novel which I thought would be a different view of my favourite characters. Namely, letters written by Elizabeth Darcy during her first year of marriage to her sister Jane Bingley. It was delightful and to me a personal look at Elizabeth's life from her point of view. Her insecurities, daily life and meeting new neighbours. Speaking of new neighbours, the author has used characters from other Jane Austen novels. It was fun gett ...more
Petra
Jan 05, 2017 Petra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
This book was just...nice and warm, if you know what I mean. It's written well, it's an easy read and I appreciate the research behind the book. There is a list of "sources" at the end and I might actually go and read some of the books.

The "story" follows Elizabeth's first year as Mrs. Darcy through letters she writes mostly to Jane, but also to Mrs. Gardiner and other people. She writes about her new life, about missing her old one in a way, about her new friends... The book really feels like a
Kat
Another continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, Jane Dawkins's Letters From Pemberley is a series of 25 letters all written by Elizabeth Darcy to her older sister Jane Bingley. While many of the P&P continations take place years after the Darcys have been married, Dawkins's novel takes place immediately following the double wedding. Through Elizabeth's correspondence, we learn about her apprehension at being the new mistress of Pemberley, the goings on of the rest of the Bennet fa ...more
As a huge Jane Austin fan, I can’t help but feel like authors who try to “continue” great stories are simply delusional hacks with arrogance to spare. Dawkins’s interpretation of P&P and its characters is completely opposed to my own, which may account the low rating. I always viewed Lizzie as eloquent, plainspoken and quick-witted, fully ignorant of society’s ridiculous rules but fully dedicated to her family at all times. These letters make her appear dull, overly concerned with the though ...more
Aubree
Apr 30, 2011 Aubree rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a pretty good continuation of Pride and Prejudice. I wish I could have had a more intimate look at the character's lives, instead of the step outside (just reading Elizabeth's letters to Jane). I do think that this was the best way for the book to be written. I have read that Jane Austen would answer questions about the continuing lives of her characters. These letters give us a little peek in without the author trying to be Jane Austen herself. It wasn't the greatest book I h ...more
Lisa
Sep 05, 2009 Lisa rated it liked it
Being a Jane Austin fan! I am up for just about anything that has to do with Lizzy and Darcy! So I very willingly read this book! It was entertaining...but nothing more. It is a bunch of letters from Lizzy to Jane and they are cute and fun to read. Its fun to imagine what life for the Darcy's would of been like after the wedding. In the introduction the author admits to just wanting to entertain Austen fans, and that is what she did.
Danielle
Jul 06, 2011 Danielle rated it liked it
Shelves: ja-and-sequels
It was not a bad book but it was not very entertaining either. The way the description read it gave you the impression there would be some mishaps similar to those when Lizzy and Darcy first met. I expected more so was a little disappointed and felt the story to be a little dull. Nothing unexpected happened, just the things we all expected.
Hailee
Apr 14, 2016 Hailee rated it liked it
3.5
A really quick enjoyable read. Nothing eventful really happened - a story about the everyday lives of the Darcy's in their first year of marriage.
Katie
Sep 10, 2012 Katie rated it liked it
The truth is that if you really like Jane Austen, it is better to read her books over again than to read Jane Austen-esqe books. A light, fluffy sort of read, not terrible, not great.
Melody
Sep 05, 2014 Melody rated it really liked it
I'd actually say this is more like 3.5, but I'm just being nice and giving it 4. Haha.
Katie
Feb 06, 2017 Katie rated it really liked it
A very charming read that does a good job emulating the tone of Jane Austen. I really enjoyed reading about Elizabeth and Darcy's life right after their marriage when Elizabeth is adjusting to life at Pemberley.

My one complaint is that the author added other Austen characters as minor side characters, which I actually enjoyed. The thing that confused me is that she changed around their names, which ended up making it a little confusing. It would have been one thing if they were entirely new nam
Jackie
Jan 03, 2017 Jackie rated it liked it
pride and prejudice is one of my favorite novels. so I am wary of books attempting to continue it or give a new perspective. but I did enjoy this book. the author did a good job telling of lizzies first year at pemberley. this book is written in the form of letter to jane, and this is a quick read, not very long. I recommend this book for the jane austen lovers.
Sarah Korhnak
Jan 23, 2017 Sarah Korhnak rated it liked it
Well written and truly seemed to match the nature of the beloved Jane Austen characters. This book is a series of letters Elizabeth writes to Jane in the year following her marriage. Because of the nature of the book, it is not overly exciting or engaging. However it is very sweet and gives a nice glimpse into how life might have been for Elizabeth after marrying Darcy.
Lynda
Feb 25, 2017 Lynda rated it liked it
An easy and enjoyable read.
Crystal Hunter
Jan 02, 2017 Crystal Hunter rated it really liked it
Delightful, quick read for fans of Jane Austen.
Maia B.
Jane Austen is now such a huge industry that even authors who write poorly, cannot present decently interesting characters, and have no original ideas of their own get published. As proven by Jane Dawkins.

The idea behind the book was pretty good; who wouldn't want to read Elizabeth's letters to her family? But her letters as written by Dawkins are not like her at all. They sound like something written like Maria Lucas most of the time, and in the rare instances that she says something funny, it'
Carol Perrin
Nov 24, 2014 Carol Perrin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Letters from Pemberley

Letter writing is a lost art in this age of computers, smartphones, Facebook, and/or Twitter, but in Jane Austen's time this was the only form of communication. The daily feelings of the inhabitants of Pemberley and the people known to them, are related to Jane by lengthy letters. Darcy's idea to invite the family for Christmas was set in place to hopefully offset the wailing of Mrs. Bennet when she finds out that the Bingleys are not returning to Netherfield. Elizabeth is
K
Apr 20, 2008 K rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This continuation to Pride and Prejudice imagines the letters Elizabeth might have written to her sister Jane about her first year at Pemberley as Darcy's wife.
Of all the continuations and sequels I have read to Pride and Prejudice, I enjoyed this one the most. I enjoyed the focus on Darcy and Elizabeth, and felt the author held true to the characters and style of the original. An interesting aspect to this story is the inclusion of the Darcy's neighbors who, in fact, are characters from Aust
Stephanie
Jan 16, 2010 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I will most freely and humbly admit that I did enjoy this book much more than I originally thought that I would. I purchased it at a used bookstore for a bargain price, thinking it would be one of those quick emergency reads used strictly for the doctor's waiting room or a traffic jam. At first glance it didn't seem as though it would be something which I would enjoy thoroughly. I was very uncertain of the potential of a book constructed strictly of one-sided letters. Of course, I have been wron ...more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
I liked this book, I didn't love it. I should have been able to read it in one setting as it's short enough, but it didn't completely capture my attention.

As far as sequels go, it was better than some. The premise is that after Elizabeth moves to Pemberley, she and Jane write to each other, sharing news and details of their lives. The problem is that we get Elizabeth's letters, but not Jane's. And while they were interesting, they were somewhat normal and mundane.

Jane Dawkins does a fair job of
Julie
Sep 20, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Austen fans who know her books pretty well
I liked this book a lot more than I expected I would. I had previously read one other Jane Austen "sequel" and I threw that one across the room when I was finished... so the bar was set pretty low.

This one is a very light-hearted, super-fast read. An epistolary novel, it contains one-sided correspondence from the newly-minted Elizabeth Darcy to her sister, the also-newly-minted Jane Bingley. I think the author keeps Lizzy in character quite well. Her device of including other Austen characters (
Christina
Dec 13, 2008 Christina rated it liked it
Recommended to Christina by: Mom
I’m a big fan of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. And in my quest to find a sequel, I’ve come across some good and some bad. My mom got me Letters From Pemberley by Jane Dawkins via The Paperback Swap.
I couldn’t help but wish Letters From Pemberley allowed me to be privy to Jane Bingley’s, nee Bennet, letters to Elizabeth rather than just Elizabeth to Jane. Throughout the novel, Elizabeth responses to her sister’s letters but often times, I had wished that I could see exactly what Elizabeth w
Meghan Cooper
Feb 21, 2010 Meghan Cooper rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who want an easy continuation of the original novel!
Recommended to Meghan by: My Friend
This is the first continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, that I have read so far, so I am unable to compare this with others I have read. My first impressions of the book was that there wasn't much of it! The book is in letter form, it includes 25 letters from the newly wed Mrs Darcy to her sister Jane Bingley. The letters talk about things that Lizzy is up to at Pemberly with her new husband. The letters only show Lizzy's letters to Jane and not Jane's letters back which I thought w ...more
Jenni
Aug 11, 2010 Jenni rated it liked it
This book is a "continuation" of Pride and Prejudice, comprising letters written by Lizzy, newly mistress of Pemberley and wife of Mr. Darcy, to her sweet and beloved sister Jane. The letters cover the first year of her married life.

This is a very clever book written by an obvious Jane Austen devotee. She takes names and incidents from Jane Austen's life and letters and from all of her books. It gets confusing though when you can recognize certain characters and plots from Jane Austen's works, b
Patricia
Apr 21, 2012 Patricia rated it liked it
Letters from Pemberley: The First Year is a sequel to the much beloved Pride and Prejudice containing letters from Elizabeth Darcy in correspondence with her sister Jane Bingley. The letters exhibit Lizzy's eventful first year as the mistress of Pemberley.

It took me a long time reading this book, because first, it is an e-book (and I don't have an e-book reader), second reading letters get a little bit boring if you go on for a really long time.

The text was really close to Jane Austen's pen, an
Faith Frost
Oct 05, 2014 Faith Frost rated it liked it
Rachel Rogers
Sep 25, 2007 Rachel Rogers rated it really liked it
After giving up on Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife at about page 9, I was leary about this, but determined to give it a try. Am I glad I did.

This book actually felt like a continuation of the story, building on the blocks that Austen left for us in the final chapter. The relationships all seem real and honest, not contrived to make it modern.

Her efforts to bring in the Dashwoods, et. al, from other books is interesting and amusing. A purist might have problems with that but I'm not a purist.

This was t
Joni
Jun 30, 2011 Joni rated it it was ok
Why must authors keep trying to make a sequel to Pride and Prejudice? (Although the author goes to great lengths to tell you it is not a sequel - it is just a series of letters that happened to be written after Pride and Prejudice ended.) Anyway, I have read much worse sequels - the language was pretty authentic (except for an interesting use of question marks in non-interrogatory sentences), some of which can be attributed to her stealing descriptions word-for-word from Austen's works, and the ...more
  • Mr. Darcy's Decision: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Pemberley Shades: A Lightly Gothic Tale of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy
  • Mr. Darcy's Secret
  • Mr. Darcy's Little Sister
  • Mr. Darcy Presents His Bride: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • The Darcys Give a Ball: A Gentle Joke, Jane Austen Style
  • The Perfect Bride for Mr. Darcy
  • The Ladies of Longbourn (The Pemberley Chronicles, #4)
  • Darcy's Temptation: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • First Impressions: A Tale of Less Pride & Prejudice
  • Darcy and Anne
  • A Pemberley Medley
  • A Match For Mary Bennet: Can A Serious Young Lady Ever Find Her Way To Love?
  • The Confession of Fitzwilliam Darcy
  • Charity Envieth Not (George Knightley, Esquire #1)
  • Mrs Darcy's Dilemma