Start by marking “The Woman Who Gave Birth to Her Mother” as Want to Read:
The Woman Who Gave Birth to Her Mother

The Woman Who Gave Birth to Her Mother

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Kim Chernin is renowned for her prolific writing -- including fiction and memoir -- on issues affecting women's lives, ranging from eating disorders and sex to relationships. In The Woman Who Gave Birth to Her Mother, she offers readers a culmination of that work -- a fully integrated vision that will help women resolve their lifelong struggles with their mothers and becom ...more
Published August 1st 1999 by Penguin Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Woman Who Gave Birth to Her Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woman Who Gave Birth to Her Mother

Rhonda Rae Baker
I love this book!!! Profoundly deep and eye-opening.

Every woman and I believe men will learn something about themselves within these pages along with the women in their lives.

I could tell from page one that this book found me! It spoke directly on many levels and I'm confident that anyone who reads this will have healing as a result of the stories...you addressed a need that I didn't even know I had!

Right now, I'm writing my own mother-daugher and daughter-mother stories...there are so many thi
Diana Waldron
Although Kim Chernin is a favorite of mine, I found this book only so-so. It's essentially an anthology of women's stories about their mothers and/or daughters, including the author's, and how these stories fit the author's theory about mother-daughter relationships and work themselves out through talk therapy with the autor. The stories themselves are quite interesting, and some of the credit there goes to the author's storytelling ability, but I couldn't help but feel it was rather a parasitic ...more
Jessica
I really enjoyed this book, I love all the analytical stuff and found it very insightful. I'd recommend it to anyone who has any kind of complicated relationship with their mother (or who has lost her mother).
Kerry
The premise of the Woman Who Gave Birth to Her Mother is a fascinating one to me. The thought that through the stories we tell and how we choose to tell them women can process and shape how they view their mother, themselves and their daughters is a rich one... particularly for me since I come from a very matriarchal family of writers, story tellers and artists. The title, alone, was very evocative and had me very excited to read this book. So much so, that I hunted the book down when I had trou ...more
Fiezymeth
Pasti waktu denger judul ini bertanya-tanya, hah kok bisa? (hehe pede..). Judul di atas bukan fenomena dunia yang sedang terbalik hingga seorang anak bisa memberi kelahiran pada ibunya secara harfiah :p.
15 januari kemarin, gw dapet buku paling spesial yang pernah gw punya ;)..judulnya “The woman who gave birth to her mother” karya Kim Chernin. Yuk mari kita ulas sedikit disini..
Buku ini menawarkan paradigma baru mengenai pengembangan diri seorang wanita (women's development) sebagai sosok yang d
Carol
The stories were somewhat interesting but it didn't seem like there was any "meat" to the analysis. I was expecting more on the idea of healing through creating situations that replaced the mothering we all seem to need but rarely received. I skimed though a lot of the book (I almost never do this)just to see if it had more later, I was disapointed to find that it didn't really improve.
Lisa
I tried picking this book up on 4 different occasions and never made it past the 1st chapter so I have finally given up on trying to finish it :(
Larissa
a very interesting read but a little depressing at times
Sue
Crappy book!
Annistacia
Annistacia marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Behraz
Behraz marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Electravk
Electravk marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Rachael Steil
Rachael Steil marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Emoneymugga
Emoneymugga marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Zoe Um
Zoe Um marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Renée
Renée marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2013
Manijeh Berahmandi
Manijeh Berahmandi marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
Barbc
Barbc is currently reading it
Feb 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Kim Chernin (born May 7, 1940, Bronx, New York) is an American fiction and nonfiction writer, feminist, poet, and memoirist. She has published fiction, non-fiction and poetry.

(from Wikipedia)
More about Kim Chernin...
In My Mother's House The Hungry Self: Women, Eating and Identity The Obsession: Reflections on the Tyranny of Slenderness My Life as a Boy: A Woman's Story Reinventing Eve: Modern Woman in Search of Herself