The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fourteenth Annual Collection

The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fourteenth Annual Collection (The Year's Best Science Fiction #14)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Presents 23 of the finest science-fiction works of 1995, including stories by such diverse writers as Michael Bishop, Terry Bisson, Greg Egan, Nancy Kress, Ursula K. Le Guin, Maureen F. McHugh, Mike Resnick, and others.

Contents
ix • Summation: 1996 • essay by Gardner Dozois
1 • Immersion • (1996) • novella by Gregory Benford
47 • The Dead • (1996) • shortstory by Michael Swa...more
Published June 28th 1997 by St Martins Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Year's Best Science Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year's Best Science Fiction

Taylor
Mar 30, 2008 Taylor rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any science fiction fan
Shelves: sci-fi
I love these collections and have been trying to fill in the volumes that I am missing. I picked this up at a used book store during a trip last year.

Editor Gardner Dozois does a great job of picking the best stories from the year and collecting them into one volume of approx. 250,000 words of fantastic science fiction. Almost as valuable as the stories themselves are his "state of the genre" forwards where he discusses trends in publishing, novel, movies, anthologies, and notable happenings in...more
Kevin Groosalugg
Immersion (Gregory Benford) was a solid story. I also enjoyed The Flowers of Aulit Prison (Nancy Kress), Death do us part (Robert Silverberg), The Cost to be Wise (Maureen McHugh), Bicycle Repairman (Bruce Sterling), and Chrysalis (Robert Reed). But by FAR the best two in this book were the two Tony Daniel stories, A Dry, Quiet War and The Robot's Twilight Companion. Both of these stories will haunt me for a while and I have to read more of him. I'm tempted to give it 4 stars just for introducin...more
Aneil
Mostly unreadable, boring pieces. I'm glad I only paid $7.99 for the Kindle version, and will be donating/giving it away as soon as I can.
Lord Humungus

This collection had some great material in it, including Nancy Kress' brilliant "Flowers of Aulit Prison", Robert Reed's weird "Chrysalis", Bruce Sterling's silly "Bicycle Repairman" and two works by Tony Daniel. This book made me buy Tony Daniel's later novels and collections. Also was my first introduction to Jonathan Lethem, though I didn't know it at the time.

Dev
If you read one sci-fi book a year, this is the one. Always stories of high caliber with a few tossed in that will keep you thinking weeks later, not to mention the collection is a primer for what science and technology everyone will be talking about five to ten years from now.
Patrick
2/6/12: "The Miracle of Ivar Avenue" by John Kessel
2/7/12: "The Lady Vanishes" by Charles Sheffield
2/9/12: "Counting Cats in Zanzibar" by Gene Wolfe
2/17/12: "In the MSOB" by Stephen Baxter
Olga
Meh, gave up on this one. I gave each of the stories ten pages, and only ended up reading the entirety of two or three. Not my favorite collection; better luck next time.
James
Some of the stories made me wonder what their criteria was for the award.... but others were good!
Timon Karnezos
Standouts were "A Dry, Quiet War" and "Bicycle Repairman".
Cindy
Mar 19, 2010 Cindy marked it as fat-volumes-in-progress
Shelves: anthology, sci-fi, own
99-cent buy from Goodwill.
Michallevy
English edition
Krystal
Krystal marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Sandmancpp
Sandmancpp marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Brian Allen
Brian Allen marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Michelle Ruedin
Michelle Ruedin marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Sugarkikkis
Sugarkikkis marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Frank
Frank marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Year's Best SF 11 (Year's Best SF (Science Fiction))
  • Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction
  • The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Two
  • The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 19
  • The Best Military Science Fiction of the 20th Century
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • Summertide (Heritage Universe, #1)
12052
Gardner Raymond Dozois (born July 23, 1947) is an American science fiction author and editor. He was editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine from 1984 to 2004. He has won multiple Hugo and Nebula awards, both as an editor and a writer of short fiction.
Wikipedia entry: Gardner R. Dozois

More about Gardner R. Dozois...
The New Space Opera The Best of the Best: 20 Years of the Year's Best Science Fiction The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Third Annual Collection The New Space Opera 2: All-new stories of science fiction adventure The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Sixth Annual Collection