Start by marking “Fiction Writers Handbook” as Want to Read:
Fiction Writers Handbook

Fiction Writers Handbook

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  7 reviews
This book offers practical advice on every aspect of writing novels and short stories: plotting and narrative development, characterization and dialogue, sources of material, planning an opening, roughing out chapters, using suspense and emotional color, rewriting and highlighting and much more. Examples drawn from the works of outstanding writers, past and present, illust ...more
Published January 27th 1993 by Harper Perennial (first published October 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Fiction Writers Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fiction Writers Handbook

Taylor Michaels
This is my favorite book about writing fiction. Many times I have wondered what can I do to make my book better. And many times, I have picked up the Fiction Writer's Handbook and found the answer.

A few days ago, my wife had a doctor's appointment. As I sat in the waiting room reading this book, I couldn't help thinking that it had so many good ideas. I made notes and when I got home, rewrote the beginning of my latest effort. It is much better. I may not be a great writer because of FWH, but I
Matt
Jul 07, 2008 Matt rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: aspiring writers
This book was given to me a long time ago. Essentially, it explores the craft of writing fiction in the classical sense. Topics covered include such things as plot, characters, and writing a punchy first paragraph. The main focus of this book is on the short story, as the writer and her late husband where the driving force behind STORY magazine for nearly thirty years from the 1940's to the 1970's. The novella and the novel are also looked at briefly.

One entertaining aspect of this book is that
Fredrick Danysh
The author draws upon her long experience as co-editor of Story Magazine to give advice and tips on writing fiction. She discusses the elements and addresses both short stories and full length novels.
Charles
I marked a lot of passages in this book. There's a lot of insight into the art/craft of writing fiction, but also an air of literary superiority and egoism that tainted the book for me. Glad to be done with it.
Especially good in its focus on shorter fiction, this book covers a lot of basics as well as philosophical discussion about the purpose of writing.
Kristen
This is a great book to have. It has exercises about how to write novel and what mistakes to avoid. It's a good book to use as a reference.
Christy
The best book on writing for beginners...and for veterans.
Bonnie
Bonnie is currently reading it
Apr 04, 2015
Elena Hetmanskaya
Elena Hetmanskaya marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Shanna
Shanna marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Aa
Aa is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2015
Pam Glazier
Pam Glazier marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Ray
Ray added it
Dec 30, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Rbmonserrat
Rbmonserrat marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Aaron Mak
Aaron Mak marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Camille Andrea Tesoro
Camille Andrea Tesoro marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Marie Ortiz
Marie Ortiz marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Cythraul
Cythraul marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Ronson
Ronson added it
Feb 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
On Writing the Short Story Sometimes Magic: A Collection of Outstanding Stories for the Teenage Girl Watch on the Wall The Brain Pickers Prize College Stories 1963