Start by marking “The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Fourth Annual Collection” as Want to Read:
The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Fourth Annual Collection

The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Fourth Annual Collection (The Year's Best Science Fiction #24)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  312 ratings  ·  29 reviews
The twenty-eight stories in this collection imaginatively take us far across the universe, into the very core of our beings, to the realm of the gods, and the moment just after now. Included here are the works of masters of the form and of bright new talents, including:
* Cory Doctorow * Robert Charles Wilson * Michael Swanwick * Ian McDonald * Benjamin Rosenbaum * Kage Bak
Published July 10th 2007 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Year's Best Science Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year's Best Science Fiction

Alytha
Veeery long and detailed review! :)

I, Row-Boat, by Cory Doctorow. Probably the first science fiction story about scuba-diving that I've read. The pun in the title is to be taken literally too. In the far future, Earth is a protected nature reserve. Humans have long ago uploaded their consciousnesses to the internet, and all kinds of things have become conscious and sentient. Robbie the row-boat is just taking people who have downloaded into human-shells to go diving on a reef, as usual, when it
Sandi
This collection of the "best" science fiction stories from 2006 is hit and miss. Some of the stories were fabulous, like "Where the Golden Apples Grow" by Kage Baker and "In the River" by Justin Stanchfield. "I, Row-Boat" by Cory Doctorow, the first story in this anthology, was a silly story that was mostly a sci-fi insider's joke. I couldn't even finish "Bow Shock" by Gregory Benford because it was boring. With the exception of the Benford story, most of the pieces selected were good to excelle ...more
Rob
May 26, 2008 Rob rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sci Fi fans looking for a good bedside companion
As with many "Year's Best" type anthologies, it's difficult to evaluate the collection as a whole. Unlike a themed collection (e.g., Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse ), you can't easily ask how each story is helping to advance or otherwise round-out the speculation or evaluation of that given theme. But that's OK; that's not why we pick up and read a collection like this. And it's a hazard we're willing -- nay: happy -- to take on.

That said, the rating for the collection here is a computed
Staci
This was a short story in the Year's Best Sci Fi 24th edition. I read this in one sitting, and I was surprised that I actually enjoyed it. I found the concept of nerve linking interesting. Being able to inahabit the body of someone else in a different place for a short period of time. In this story, Mick, the main character, links with a different version of himself in another worldline to spend some time with his wife who is still alive in that world, but who had died in his version of the worl ...more
Rick
I've read the first 4 stories out of this. I loved "I Rowboat" by Cory Doctorow of BingBing fame, Julian, a Christmas Store (which is the beginning of the novel Julian Comstock that I really loved: http://amzn.com/B0074CQJ9S), Tin Marsh which is really great, reminiscent of Golden Age SF, really reminded me of Brightside Crossing by Alan E. Nourse, and the Djinn's Wife which I really didn't like. Djinn's Wife is a story about an Indian woman who marries an AI. She goes though an abrupt attitude ...more
Chris C.
Apr 07, 2008 Chris C. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like books about space ships, aliens, and alternate histories.
After having skipped last year's best of collection, I was ready to jump head first into this tome. I'm glad I did ad this one was a but different than years past. I/m not sure if it was intentional, but this year's stories seemed a bit on the long side, which was nice. They were generally longer that a regular short story, but shorter that a novella. This allowed many of the authors to go into much more detail and provide a much fuller, more fleshed out story. However, I do feel that many of th ...more
An Odd1
* "The Year's Best Science Fiction 24th Annual Collection" of 2006 short stories was edited by Gardner Dozois. I tried, I really tried, but could not finish. Halfway were okay "Where the golden apples grow" by Kage Baker, and "Incarnation Day" by Walter Jon Williams about rebellious teens and sad, scary, romantic "Home Movies" by Mary Rosenblum. They were overpowered by nightmare "Damascus" by Daryl Gregory, where pathetic transformed to joyous mad-cow disease victims are terrorist missionaries ...more
Nicholas Whyte

Most of these stories were indeed fresh for me; four (I think) were Hugo nominees, and I'd read a couple of others in other collections (or possibly even in the original magazine publication). As usual, Dozois shows excellent taste, though my 2007 records are not in good enough shape to tell me if I think he got a better or worse result than the Hugo or Nebula nomination system. The story that stood out for me as a new discovery was Carolyn Ives Gilman's "
Kristen Bongard
May 30, 2008 Kristen Bongard rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like short sci-fi books
Some of the stories were really great. Some were disturbing. That's what I like about short stories in collections like this. You get a bunch of lots of things. Many will stay with me. Some I wish didn't. But some will make me think. I hope some develop in to books. I will read these books.

Short stories are such an interesting medium. They are very fun to read from time to time.
Dev
If you read one sci-fi book a year, this is the one. Always stories of high caliber with a few tossed in that will keep you thinking weeks later, not to mention the collection is a primer for what science and technology everyone will be talking about five to ten years from now.
Kenny
2006 best of the year anthology. This series has consistent quality over the years. I always find a few stories that are excellent, and all the stories are worth reading. If you like short stories, this is a great anthology to pick up. Highly recommended.
Matt Howard
Other reviewers have commented on the improved quality of this edition in comparison to recent years. I certainly agree. I think it's because this year's stories are less self-consciously trying to be "literary," and are more focused on a tight story.
Aletheia
Some weren't that great, but I adored The Nightingale, The Djinn's Wife, The Pacific Mystery, Kin, Signal to Noise, Incarnation Day, Okanoggan Falls (this one made me cry), The Town on the Blighted Sea, and the Pacific Mystery. :D
Megan
This is one of the strongest collections to date. Every story in this volume is great. Usually I end up skipping several, but this book only had one that I skipped, and was full of stories I just fell in love with.
Lord Humungus
Lots of great works, including one of my favorite Kage Baker stories, a great space opera tale by Alastair Reynolds, and a Greg Van Eekhout story remind me of one of my fave RPGs, Gamma World.
Patrick
12/10/11: "Tin Marsh" by Michael Swanwick
12/12/11: "The Big Ice" by Jay Lake and Ruth Nestvold
12/16/11: "Damascus" by Daryl Gregory
12/18/11: "The Pacific Mystery" by Stephen Baxter
Cooper
I can't get enough of Sci-Fi short stories and Mr. Dozois always picks gems. The stories run the gamut in style/scope and almost all left me with a satisfied smile.
Wm
A preoccupation with AI's and humanity living on networks, but some very good stories in this edition. There's even a Cory Doctorow story that I actually liked.
John Brassil
Dozois usually closes these volumes with a strong novella and this year was no exception - pick this up to read "Nightingale" if nothing else!
Streator Johnson
Consistently the best annual Sci-Fi collection each and every year. I don't know how he does it, but I live reading these epic volumes.
bluetyson
The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Fourth Annual Collection (Year's Best Science Fiction) (2007)
Craig J.
The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Fourth Annual Collection by Gardner Dozois (2007)
Chad
Consistently good. I look forward to Dozois's anthologies and this one did not disappoint.
Abigail
Some very good stories (details to follow) and some just too technical and far out for my taste.
DangerGirl
Nov 27, 2007 DangerGirl is currently reading it
Currently reading. The first story by Cory Doctorow was excellent! Just what I was looking for.
Joseph
Mar 26, 2008 Joseph rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anybody who likes science-fiction
Some great stories, some not so great stories. Definitely required reading for Sci-fi fans.
Aramis
True to form, you can always find a bunch of good stories in this collection.
Paige
Yippeee!!!! Amazing!
Krista
A mix of quality, but I thought this was a strong anthology with good stories by new names and those more established.
  • Year's Best SF 6
  • The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction
  • Zima Blue and Other Stories
  • Fast Forward
  • Platinum Pohl: The Collected Best Stories
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year (Volume 1)
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 2B
  • Futures from Nature
12052
Gardner Raymond Dozois (born July 23, 1947) is an American science fiction author and editor. He was editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine from 1984 to 2004. He has won multiple Hugo and Nebula awards, both as an editor and a writer of short fiction.
Wikipedia entry: Gardner R. Dozois

More about Gardner R. Dozois...
The New Space Opera The Best of the Best: 20 Years of the Year's Best Science Fiction The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Third Annual Collection The New Space Opera 2: All-new stories of science fiction adventure The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Sixth Annual Collection