Start by marking “Owl at Home” as Want to Read:
Owl at Home

Owl at Home

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  3,703 ratings  ·  164 reviews
Welcome to Owl's house!

Owl lives all by himself in a cozy little house. But whether he's inviting Winter in on a cold and snowy night, or welcoming a new friend he meets while on a stroll, Owl always has room for visitors!
Published September 29th 1982 by HarperCollins (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Owl at Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Owl at Home

sj
I came to Owl at Home rather late in life. I had a friend when I was 15/16/17/18 that lived in a different state, she and I were constantly picking up owl things to send to each other.

I found this at a library sale one day and bought it for a quarter to include in the next package I sent her.

I read it when I got home, and - oh my. I never actually ended up putting it in the post.

Owl's Tear-water Tea was (and is) my favourite story in the book. It still appeals to me in a strangely wistful and me
Benjamin
Don't be fooled by the cheery, bright-eyed owl merrily beaming at you on the cover. That candle is the only thing keeping our poor Owl from plunging into the darkness of his paranoid solitude.

I don't know why I find this so amusing (and seriously, it's one of the funniest books to read to your kids), but each of the five stories in this collection shows our protagonist suffering some level of dementia. And I'm not trying to put some sinister spin on this book unnecessarily. All of these stories
Skylar Burris
My second grade son struggles with reading, yet he loves Lobel's books. He's read about six of them. I appreciate that the language and phrasing are simple enough for him to read with confidence, but at the same time the books are not boring. They are cute, funny, and clever, and I can tolerate listening to him read them again and again. Most books that are written on a low enough level for him to read are horribly insipid and dull, but Lobel's books always make me smile. They are wonderful prac ...more
Karen
For the past few weeks, my almost-five-year-old little boy has been having nightmares about owls. The only way he will go to sleep is if our youngest cat, Molly Kitten, will curl up on his bed with him. She will stay awake until my son falls asleep. We thought these nightmares were imaginary because neither my husband nor I had seen an owl... until one night. My husband was just putting my son back into bed and telling him there are no owls when he heard, "Whooooo. Whoooo." He looked out the win ...more
Rhea
More wonderful stories from Lobel.

My favorite of these was when Owl couldn't decide whether to stay upstairs or downstairs, and finally found a clever solution. I also remember Owl's tear-drop tea, especially because I cried along with Owl for those poor pencil stumps that are too short to use and those poor lost spoons no one ever finds and those beautiful sunrises no one will ever see. I was a very sentimental child.

But besides all that, it's always delightful to read about your own species ;)
Kris Larson
This is the story of an owl who lives alone and has adventures that mostly happen in his own house. Basically it's the story of my life, right down to the part where he makes himself cry by imagining all kinds of sad things, then has some tea. Was Lobel lurking outside my window? Because that's pretty much my average evening.

Jokes aside, this book is DELIGHTFUL. I would recommend it to any kid or adult, especially those who understand that the best adventures happen at home while wearing comfor
JayLando
This is honestly one of my favourite books.
It has been since I first learned to read.

It still makes me wish and think and laugh and cry.
Such a short book and a quick read but it makes me remember...

...to be silly.
...to be sweet.
...to be kind.

It is a template for who I am and how I will always be.
It is my "Goodbye Moon" ; especially at the end.
ErinBeth
I came across this book while shopping for presents for my nephew, and although i think he is still a little young for it (he's only 3), I couldn't resist getting it for him anyway. I think it'd probably be better for children about 5 or 6 though.
It's actually 5 little stories in one book, all of them about an eccentric owl who sees the world in a slightly different way than most people. For instance, instead of shutting out the cold and snow, he decides to be friendly and let winter come into h
Racie
One of the best children's books that we own and not one that I read as a child. Dan's cousin sent it to us because her little boy loves it so much. "Owl at Home" is an episodic story that follows Owl through a series of adventures in his own home. He is the sort of children's book protagonist who is at once an adult and a child. He has a naive understanding of the world and works through problems in a way that lets children intuit the solution even as Owl fails to learn the lesson. He is scared ...more
Katie Hilton
Picked this up at a yard sale this summer with a bunch of other children's books. I never read it as a child but owls have always appealed to me and when I saw this guy on the cover with a book and PJs I was sold!

I was amazed at how simple and adorable the stories were but they were quite dark as well. Each story touched on struggles that many adults have--the grass is always greener, and being overwhelmed thinking sad thoughts to name a few.

But owl always seems to begin each story with a smile
Linnae
Lobel is at the top of his form with this book for early readers. We shared this book with some friends today and basically had to read the whole thing to get in everyone's favorites. We even have favorites within the favorite chapters.

My kids (ages 6, 4, and 2) start to giggle as soon as I start reading "Tear-Water Tea," and every sad thing Owl mentions is good for another round of hilarity. My personal favorite is "mashed potatoes left on a plate, because no-one wanted to eat them."

Also, chil
Shivanee (Novel Niche)
Excerpted from a Charting Children's Literature post:

I first opened these pages when I was less than five.

Owl At Home is an offering of five short tales in the life of Owl, an affable, thoughtful gentle-bird who seems to delight in his own company, as well as in exploring the world around him. In “The Guest”, Owl learns that some visitors simply won’t adhere to expected protocol, when he invites Winter past his threshold on a particularly chilly night. “Strange Bumps” tells the story of Owl’s fe
Christina Taylor
Owl at Home is one of Harper & Row’s many titles in the I Can Read! series. The inside cover explains the series’ system for promoting independent reading in young children, and the title page is followed by a table of contents that enumerates the book’s chapters. Young children will enjoy the protagonists’ childlike innocence in this episodic narrative of loosely connected adventures in which he demonstrates his faulty understanding of physics by welcoming winter as a house guest, becoming ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: My son read this aloud to me.

Comments: I'm very familiar with this book but had never actually read it before! This contains four chapters, each its own individual story. Owl, himself, is not the brightest bulb in the package and while very polite and considerate he ends up in the silliest situations because of his own misunderstandings. Three of the stories follow this theme, while the third is a simple tale that shows his simple ways of making tea.

Owl is a dear you can't he
Rosa Cline
This is a level 2 chapter book and each chapter the story helps to teach children simple things in life without 'being in their face' to teach them. Owl is the main and only character in this book. He invites winter into his house wanting to be a good host, He makes tear tea thinking of things that made him sad so he could cry but it was okay to be sad. He wonders if he can be in two places at the same time and he makes friends with the moon and finds out it is okay and a little sad to say good ...more
Reenie Peppers
Themes: develop reading fluency, to expand comprehension, things that could happen around one's home
Activities: read aloud for fluency, ask comprehension questions, ask "what if" questions, have students draw their own bedroom or living room or kitchen
Grace
I really liked the first and last stories in the book. In the first story, Owl invites Winter in to his home and ends up having to kick it out. My son really enjoyed the last story because the moon followed the owl home, like it follows him.
Weeny
ほっこりして優しい絵で楽しい話なのだろうけど、・・ちょっと読んでいて寂しかった。ふくろうさんはコミカルだけどどことなく悲しい。例えばベッドのひざのふくらみに脅える話。もし誰かが側に居たらすぐに教えてもらえたろうな~とか、月を友達にして話しかけるとか。frog and toadはそういう孤独感はなく逆に心の絆を描いている。今はそういうものが読みたいのかも。涙の紅茶には大笑いした。
Chantal Boudreau
At fist the author didn't clue in, but I something was so familiar about this book. Glad I decided to follow my instincts and get it. We just read it tonight, and we both really enjoyed it.
Leslie
My 7 year old reluctant-reader 2nd grader was easily able to read this with no more than 1 or 2 words that were entirely new to him. My son is a big A. Lobel fan because of Frog and Toad so I thought he'd like this as much but he didn't really. He did like it well enough though and laughed out loud once or twice. The illustrations are so cute too. It is a beginner chapter book that is well thought out: the illustrations are scattered about every other page and the paragraphs are of about 2 or 3 ...more
Joy
I originally had this book but sold it in my teenage years and recently found another copy of it so I can share it with my daughter. Lobel creates these great characters who do silly things and children are very entertained when the read his books.

Short stories in this book:
"The Guest"--Owl decides to invite winter into his house.
"Strange Bumps"--Owl discovers two strange bumps at the foot of his bed when he is trying to go to sleep.
"Tear-Water Tea"--Owl decides to make himself a cup of tear wat
Lori
More summer reading with my soon-to-be 2nd grader! I love those wise owls! Tear-water tea - the sweetest chapter of this book.
Briana Apuzzo
Owl at Home is a very fun book with several stories, but my favorite is Owl’s Upstairs,Downstairs. Owl lives in a two story house, leaving him with an upstairs and a downstairs. He wonders if he can be up and down at the same time by running up and down as fast as he can or sitting in the middle of the stair case. Owl finds out on his own that he cannot be in both places at once, but he isn't bothered by this conclusion. Instead, he is satisfied to have come to a conclusion at all in his own way ...more
sleeps9hours
Arnold Lobel is so warm and weird and great. The kids always love his kooky stories and I love the illustrations.
Leiera Monae
Children's Reading Adventures Book Club, Summer 2014

*D.E.A.R. Time -- Read to 4 & 5 year olds*

06.04.2014
Jeremiah Lee
This is really a story about an old man with dementia, who thinks he's an owl. It's very sad, and funny.
Kelly
We didn't like this one as much as Lobel's Frog and Toad stories. This was irritatingly silly.
Black★Star
The story about the "lumps" in Owl's bed that moved when he moved? Scared the shit out of me.
Mckinley
Short tales about Owl at home that will appeal to beginning readers.
Rosalind
This is one of my favourite books for younger children. Great for reading aloud or for beginning readers. My girls and I would sometimes joke about 'strange bumps' at bedtime. 'Tear water tea' is a classic story to read aloud, especially if you ham it up.
Trinity Episcopal...: Owl at Home 1 1 Aug 29, 2013 02:30PM
  • Greg's Microscope
  • Daniel's Duck
  • The Titanic: Lost and Found
  • Wagon Wheels
  • Pompeii...Buried Alive!
  • Hill of Fire
  • The Big Balloon Race
  • Henry and Mudge: The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1)
  • The Year At Maple Hill Farm
  • Maps and Globes
  • Bravest Dog Ever: Story of Balto
  • Greek Myths for Young Children
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
Arnold Stark Lobel was a popular American author of children's books. Among his most popular books are those of the Frog and Toad series, and Mouse Soup, which won the Garden State Children's Book Award from the New Jersey Library Association.
More about Arnold Lobel...
Frog and Toad Are Friends (Frog and Toad, #1) Frog and Toad Together (Frog and Toad, #2) Frog and Toad All Year (Frog and Toad, #3) Days with Frog and Toad (Frog and Toad, #4) The Frog and Toad Treasury: Frog and Toad are Friends/Frog and Toad Together/Frog and Toad All Year  (Frog and Toad #1-3)