Behind Closed Doors: Secrets of Great Management

Behind Closed Doors: Secrets of Great Management

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  314 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Great management is difficult to see as it occurs. It's possible to see the results of great management, but it's not easy to see how managers achieve those results. Great management happens in one-on-one meetings and with other managers---all in private. It's hard to learn management by example when you can't see it.

You can learn to be a better manager---even a great mana...more
Published September 26th 2005 by Pragmatic Bookshelf (first published September 19th 2005)

Drive by Daniel H. PinkManagement 3.0 by Jurgen AppeloBehind Closed Doors by Johanna RothmanThe Lean Startup by Eric RiesSwitch by Chip Heath
Management 3.0 Recommended Books
3rd out of 58 books — 18 voters
Eat Move Sleep by Tom RathDrive by Daniel H. PinkExecution by Larry BossidyGetting Things Done by David AllenThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey
21st Century Leadership
10th out of 63 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Lucas
Week 1
-Initiate weekly one-on-ones with each person in your group.
-Notice someone doing something well and comment on it.
-Leave your office! The key to MBWAL (managing by walking around and listening) is to notice changes. Become familiar with the normal noise level, decor, and mood. Don't limit yourself to the office area. Stop for coffee in the kitchen area. Eat lunch in the lunchroom.
-Make a list of all the work your group performs, including your own. Use the list to start a project portfoli...more
Guillaume Collic
This book is a good summary of many diversified books (about management, meetings, retrospectives, ...). It's a good start for a technical person who will have a management role soon, but if you're serious about management you also really need to read more complete books, like "First break all the rules" and "The art of possibility". This book help you choose these other ones with a lot of references.
Sergey Shishkin
I've experienced good and bad managers during my career. If I try to figure out patterns the good managers I worked with had followed, that would almost match the contents of this book.

The book goes even further though. It provides ultimate guidelines for being a great manager. Plus it introduces agile management principles very gently without labeling them so explicitly. Thus it is a must read for managers who are skeptical about agile or anybody willing to introduce agile guerrilla-way.

Further...more
Lachlan
A good book with clear ideas that are well presented.

The over all human-focus to the techniques is excellent and very relevant for managing in a collaborative workplace. There are techniques for coaching, delegating, prioritising and planning, giving feedback, facilitation and oodles of others. The descriptions of the techniques are short but the brevity of lessons does not reflect a lack of usefulness, rather a deep understanding and distillation of the essentials.

The book has a story as well...more
Vladimir Bushin
According to PMI PMBOK the area for "Communications management" is the most important one among all the knowledge areas. This book is an excellent communications management guide. This book is structured and targeted for beginners and intermediate skilled managers and serves its purpose completely offering paramount help in moving from a chaos and ad-hoc management to a structural and organized approach that builds a strong team of allies and creates a good rythm in the project. An easy reading...more
Jayesh Naithani
Good book with many observations about the habits of effective technical managers. If more of today's managers would apply some of the techniques mentioned in here, a lot more good could be accomplished far more quickly. Some of the advice does sound too good - don't know when was the last time many of the folks I work with just did a 40 - 45 hour work week - longer is more the norm for quite some time. But supposedly that is the number for optimum performance and general well being.. One-on-one...more
Doug
Pretty darn good, considering the astronomical aspirations of the authors. The format is wisely chosen, swinging back and forth between a fictional narrative of a middle-manager and topic-oriented discourses.

The problem is that most managers don't start in the middle, and by the time they get there, they've honed their chops as a lower-level manager, managing contributors directly. Most of the people reading the book, I imagine, are like me new managers of direct contributors, and many of the te...more
Kerri
If you're new to managing people , you can do worse than read this case study and guide to the traditional skills and strategies for organizing a technical team. Keep in mnd that it's only one reduce, however!
Thomas Kuryura
Great book for management, focused on one-to-one meetings and it management.
Mike Klein
The best part of this book is the practical sections in the back. Full of good templates for doing important things. The beginning of the book attempts to use a narrative style to explain why and when to use the practical sections. The trouble with the narrative style used is that the boss is perfect. Not just really good--perfect. The result being so artificial that it is hard to take the lessons seriously. Still worth the read, just wish it had been presented a little differently.
Bart
Jan 04, 2012 Bart rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kast
Nice and entertaining read.
Contains tips and checklists on various topics, supported by a feel-good narrative, which actually turns this book into a page-turner.

I found the first chapters - on holding one-on-ones and team meetings, and on introducing and using a project portfolio - the most helpful. Later chapters covered topics such as coaching, delegating and developing career paths, which are better covered elsewhere.

Chris
Jan 26, 2014 Chris marked it as to-read
recommended by Jesse
Jaroslav Urban
At the first look and few first pages I didn't expect much as I had feeling it is describing stuff I already know, however after some while I found the book interesting and it actually has definitely some good points.
I very like the summary at the end. Once the book is finished it is nice to go through just few pages and remind everything important for yourself.
Jean Tessier
A really quick read. The agile bias of the authors shows when they limit planning to 3-4 weeks, or put emphasis on people rather than process.

More than two years later, the only thing that really stuck to my mind is that one-on-one meetings with managers should be more about career development than status reporting.
Roger
Jul 31, 2011 Roger rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: IT managers or wannabes
Recommended to Roger by: n/a
Shelves: geek
Interesting book on techniques for IT group management. I doubt I work in management again, but I see ways to use techniques to improve my responses when dealing with managers. There are a lot of good suggestions and a wealth of references to other books and materials in the book.
Tomasz
I find it very practical and step by step guideline for managing people. It describes quite meny important soft-skills needed to grow healthy team/group in the organization. Easy and fast to read. With plenty of checklists is quite useful for longer period of time on daily basis.
Trey
Very good refresher book for a lot of common sense behaviors and best practices that we all should keep in mind as managers. It's one of those books that I'll pull out again in a year just to thumb back through and get back on track where needed.
Divya Mani
A good book on effective management . Its a book that unifies the meaning of manager and a leader . Different techniques are explained with an office example in a lucid way .
Rob
This is a decent quick read if this is your first dive into technical management books. It covers at a high level what books such as Managing Humans, as well as books on Kanban, successfully cover in more depth.
James Tharpe
I carry this book around with me at work as a preacher would carry around his bible. I attribute much of my own success to this book, and I frequently give copies as gifts to budding managers and leaders.
Andriy Rushchak
It is the best book about management I've read so far. Doesn't matter whether you are experienced manager or have just stepped on your first management position, you will benefit from reading it.
Ilya
The book was easy to read. It combines a discussion of useful elements of a manager's toolbox with a case study of a hypothetical 'good manager' Sam, demonstrating those tools in practice.
Mike Jansen
Reminds me a bit of Patrick Lencioni's books, but with a lot more concrete advice and recommendations built in. Solid read and a good reference for those managing teams and people.
Juanma
This book should be a basic material for a possible Management 101 course... I wish that most of the senior managers out there read it and apply the basics contained in the book.
Ellen Smith
This is an outstanding book on managing teams of people and managing priorities. I recommend it for anyone who is in charge of others in the workplace.
Dave
Must read for anyone in IT Management. Should be the first book you read when you make the jump from Individual Contributor to Manager.
Cliff Hazell
Good introduction for new managers, practical and insightful. Good starter if you're new to a management type role.
Phil
There is some good insight in this book, but it could have been boiled down to a three page article.
Angus McDonald
Oct 26, 2008 Angus McDonald marked it as to-read
I would like to get this one as it is referenced several times in other works I've read.
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • Practices of an Agile Developer: Working in the Real World
  • Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams
  • Agile Project Management with Scrum
  • Managing Humans: Biting and Humorous Tales of a Software Engineering Manager
  • Smart and Gets Things Done: Joel Spolsky's Concise Guide to Finding the Best Technical Talent
  • Facts and Fallacies of Software Engineering

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
I consult, speak, and write on managing high-technology product development. I've helped managers, teams, and organizations to become more effective by applying my pragmatic approaches to their issues of hiring, project management, risk management, and people management. I write a monthly email newsletter, the Pragmatic Manager. Please review back issues and sign yourself up.

I lean towards agile,...more
More about Johanna Rothman...
Manage It! Manage Your Project Portfolio Hiring the Best Knowledge Workers, Techies & Nerds: The Secrets & Science of Hiring Technical People Hiring Geeks That Fit Manage Your Job Search