Start by marking “Clive Barker's The Thief of Always” as Want to Read:
Clive Barker's The Thief of Always

Clive Barker's The Thief of Always

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Master of horror Clive Barker's Thief of Always is a fable appealing to horror and fantasy fans young and old. Now IDW brings you its own lavishly illustrated adaptation of the thrilling tale. Mr. Hood's Holiday House has stood for a thousand years, welcoming countless children into its embrace. It is a place of miracles, a blissful round of treats and seasons, where every...more
Published October 25th 2005 by IDW Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Clive Barker's The Thief of Always, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clive Barker's The Thief of Always

Nastassja
Okay so I was thinking about this book, it has been quite a long time since I read it but I'm at work and I'm kinda bored and since I can't read "A Storm of Swords" AT work, I thought I would go back a little and write some thoughts I have on one of my favorite childhood books of all time. Alongside "Island of the Blue Dolphins" and "It" as the three books I likely re-read the most in my pre-teen years, The Thief of Always remains ingrained in my conciousness... somehow.

It's the story of a boy w...more
James Witherspoon
Mr. Barker can definitely do fairy tales. Taking them back to it's roots no doubt. One of his toned down books but still a epic piece from an epic author. Definitely recommend this.
PS: The picture inserts are amazingly rocking. Prepare to be horrified folks.
Laurel
Still very awesome.

They took out the line about Hood giving Harvey Alaska and I was sad but hey you gotta cut the book in places ya know?

The drawings and style are beauuuuutiful.
Christoph Segers
Het boek las ik ongeveer 20 jaar terug, dus veel herinneringen had ik niet aan de plot, dat eenvoudig maar sterk genoeg is om de aandacht vast te houden. De tekenstijl is aangenaam, nogal onscherp waardoor het kan charmeren. Enig persoonlijk minpuntje is dat de vier 'hulpjes' van Mr. Hood onvoldoende naar voren komen in deze verstripte versie van Clive Barkers enige boek gericht naar een jonger publiek. Maar of dat in het origineel ook zo is, daarvoor is het hiaat in mijn geheugen helaas te groo...more
Jacob Germain
Winter Branch
Jun 12, 2007 Winter Branch rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young adult readers, fairy tale lovers, graphic novel readers
A fun, quick read. This is the graphic novel adaption of Clive Barker's young adult story of the same name released about 15 years ago. IDW Publishing did a great job putting this thing together. The artwork and colors are great and appropriate, instead of being too colorful the art direction is more muted and toned down to reflect the dark undertones of the story. Additionally, the graphic novel goes right along with the original plot of the story, many times lifting the dialogue right out of B...more
George
My 6yo son received the graphic novel of this story as a birthday present and, it being by Clive Barker, I figured I'd read it before letting him read it. I'm glad I did. I'm not sure the subject matter is right for his age. But in a few years it'll probably be right up his alley. This is probably OK for an 8 year old at the least.

That said, the story was interesting, but not all that great. Maybe the novel is better, but the comic version was very quick and didn't have quite the character devel...more
Nick
Even thought the protagonist is only ten, or forty-one, depending on how you count things, the horror aspect of this makes it more suitable for teens than for younger kids.
The story is clever and creepy, and for this one book Barker managed to create a world halfway between Bradbury and King, a difficult achievement.
Harvey Swick is just looking for adventure. He finds it in a marvelous house in a magical land, but it has a few creepy bits around the edges. They don't bother him quite enough quic...more
P3fabianj
i really liked this book i read the chapter book and the comic book i liked the comic better becuase it helped me understand the pictures and what was going on. and it was easy to understand
Mingo Johnson
Entertaining and thought provoking on our everyday day-to-day lives
Nicky Dierx
I realize it is a children's book and therefore much of the horror and terror is toned down considerably compared to Barker's other work, but I still expected much tighter, neater writing from the man. There were grammatical errors (and at least one typo although I can't fault him for that) galore and numerous plot points that are not only unresolved, completely unexplained, unexplored and left to founder in the dark recesses of the attic. I won't lose much sleep over this one (alas) but I won't...more
David
Finished this in one go - it was a quick and fun read. This graphic novel is an adaptation of a book that's targeted at younger audiences than most of Clive Barker's other works. I've never even seen a copy so I can't vouch for how closely this adaptation follows that. It follows a boy named Harvey Swick and what happens when he seeks to escape from what seems to endless boring days. I recommend this to adults and children alike.
Stella
This book was AMAZING. I loved it so much. If you like fanasy horror kind of stuff you will love it. The setting of the text was really interesting and exciting. I loved hearing about all the horrors the kids went through and how they escaped them. The text was really good in detail and did a really good job with describing things. The plot and characters and everything just made me not want to put the book down. Veeeeeeerry good(:
Sarah Hughes
This is possibly the best childrens book period. Its a shame he didnt write more childrens books, but i suppose it would too easy to make it not suitable for children. Its well written, quite spooky, and i think i probably would of been scared if i read this when i was a child. This is also one of the few books that i would actually love to see as a film, but only if Barker was writing the screenplay and directing it.
I accidentally ordered the graphic novel from Amazon instead of the book... I did enjoy the adaptation, though! Unfortunately its main effect has been to make me crave the "real" book even more.... The characters in the comic are almost exactly how I pictured them when reading the novel. I'm especially glad that it still manages to start with that great line about Harvey Swick being eaten by the great gray beast February.
Clinton Gersema
Eh... I reserved this book online from my local library thinking it was the novel since I haven't read it in a while and I remembered liking it. When I brought it home and realized it was a comic book I was a surprised but I read it anyways in 30 minutes. I was disappointed it was bland and I like imagining the holiday house in my own head I for sure like the novel better.
meg
i love love love clive barker's original (especially the edition with his illustrations!), and though this graphic novel necessarily leaves some things out it is a faithful and spooky and pretty awesome version of the classic. good show, gabriel hernandez.
Teresa
This book was a short read. I liked it overall but got bored with it in the middle. The little kids will love it, if you are looking for a book for boy or girls ages 9-11 this is a good one. It is a little scary, but not to much.
Sezin Koehler
One of my favorite graphic novels I've read to date. But reading this during a hurricane is a little bit scary.
Harkonen
Doubly great since Barker did the artwork as well. A great read for childish adults(like me).
Photogirl
A very nice adaptation. I really enjoyed the coloring and illustration style.
Sohma-kun
one of my favorite kid's books of all time
Deanna
I didn't care for this book at all.
Rachel
a wonderful five star book
Rebecca Esmail
Rebecca Esmail marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Metal Gear Solid Omnibus Metal Gear Solid Volume 1 Clive Barker's the Thief of Always Book 2 Metal Gear Solid, Volume 2 The Complete Metal Gear Solid

“Nothing's perfect... because time passes... and the beetle and the worm find their way into everything sooner or later.” 2 likes