Start by marking “Words Are Not for Hurting (Ages 4-7) (Best Behavior)” as Want to Read:
Words Are Not for Hurting (Ages 4-7) (Best Behavior)

Words Are Not for Hurting (Ages 4-7) (Best Behavior)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The older children get, the more words they know and can use—including hurtful words. This book teaches children that their words belong to them: They can think before they speak, then choose what to say and how to say it. It also explores positive ways to respond when others use unkind words and reinforces the importance of saying “I’m sorry.” Includes tips for parents an ...more
Published April 15th 2004 by Free Spirit Publishing (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Words Are Not for Hurting (Ages 4-7), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Words Are Not for Hurting (Ages 4-7)

Bailey Beats the Blah by Karen TyrrellAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith ViorstHands Are Not for Hitting / Las manos no son para pegar by Martine AgassiThe Way I Feel by Janan CainWhen I Feel Angry by Nancy Cote
Best Picture Books For Therapy
8th out of 33 books — 25 voters
Tell Me What It's Like to Be Big by Joyce DunbarMy Big Boy Bed by Eve BuntingWords Are Not for Hurting (Ages 4-7) by Elizabeth VerdickPacifiers Are Not Forever by Elizabeth VerdickDiapers Are Not Forever by Elizabeth Verdick
Preschool-Growing up
3rd out of 12 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Michelle Henry
This book illustrates a great example of social and emotional skill for young children. The author addresses how to use words in a kind way to communicate feelings with peers and also how to respond to others if they chose not to use kind words. This book also illustrates good tips for caregivers and examples for students to use in their language as well.

Merged review:

This book "Words Are Not For Hurting" tells a sweet guide on how what you say should be uplifting to other peers, and not words
Rebecca Ashley Teague
This book explains the different kinds of words that we use. It also shows what hurtful words do and what you can do to stop the hurtful words. The book talks about how it is important to not use your words to hurt others, but to use them in a positive way. This book is great because it promotes positive character building in children. I would use this in my classroom to teach students that it is not okay to be hurtful to others. I would use it to reinforce rules in my classroom, if broken. It i ...more
Libby
To support the child’s vocabulary and narrative skills and help a child between the age of 4-5 years old develop positive and healthy social behaviors, Words Are Not For Hitting is a shared story that explores how to exercise self-control and provides children with alternatives to taking out a frustration or reacting to on by hitting. The child’ vocabulary and narrative skills are promoted during a shared reading as the caregiver invites the child to use their expressive language to communicate ...more
Katie
I have seen these books on the shelves forever, but I have avoided them because the titles seem overly negative and preachy. However, now that I've read one I'm really impressed with how they are able to present topics in a way that helps kids understand rules. The content of the book is not so negative as the title, and it is presented in a way that is easy for kids to identify with and understand. It's still not a great bedtime story, but good for teaching kids about basic social skills.
Sydney
I love these books. There is a whole series Like Hands are Not for Hitting. They also have tips in the back of the book for parents and teachers to use the book effectively. I would use it at the beginning of the year and throughout to reinforce using kind words and explain that its ok to get upset but that doesn't mean we can be mean to our friends.
Satin
This is a very kid freely book that encourages the use of nice words. Students will learn alot from reading this book, and explore simple ways to repsond to people saying hurtful things to them. I like this book because it offers activities and disscussion ideas for home, school, and childcare.
Caitrin
We all know kids have a hard time with their words and using them wisely. This book can be used to remind your students that words can hurt people's feelings when you use them wrong. We need to always remember to think before we speak so that we don't hurt anyone and this book helps reiterate that.
Liz
I actually think this would be a valuable read for elementary students. Sometimes we all need a reminder that it is possible to apologize when we say something we don't mean. This book offers an opportunity to discuss how we treat our friends.
Sheryl Smith
Mariel Galgas
The books in this series are very effective when teaching children about getting along with others. The author explains these concepts in ways that young children could understand.
Alexandra Chauran
I've checked this book out of the library for my daughter when she was two years old several times. She seems to get it. You can extend this lesson to loud voices, too.
Michelle
If you're getting this book for an every day read it might be a bit heavy but if you happen to be teaching a preschool class on feelings and emotions, it's the perfect book!
Valarie
A good concept, but really pedantic and preachy. Kids don't respond well to books that are obviously lecturing them.
Abby
Aug 19, 2011 Abby rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Abby by: others by the author
A good book for teaching kindness. Not just a "don't do this" but with ideas of what to do instead.
Kelli
The writing is eh but the activities in the back make this a 4.
Laura Tabrizipour
Oct 27, 2008 Laura Tabrizipour marked it as to-read
I think this would be a great book for teachers to read.
Courtney
I still like Teeth are not for biting better.
Kathrine Rogers
Manners Week
Rusti
1 copy available
Renata
Renata marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Suzanne Tomlin
Suzanne Tomlin marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Emily
Emily added it
Sep 16, 2014
Quaneka
Quaneka marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
New board books by same author/illustrator 1 5 Feb 26, 2009 11:01AM
Elizabeth Verdick has been writing books since 1997, the year her daughter was born. Her two children, now ages 13 and 8, are the inspiration for nearly everything she writes. Before becoming an author, Elizabeth edited books for children and parents.

These days she writes books for toddlers to teens, and everything in between. She especially loves creating new board book series for toddlers—the l
More about Elizabeth Verdick...
Teeth Are Not for Biting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior) How to Take the Grrrr Out of Anger Tails Are Not for Pulling (Ages 0-3) Feet Are Not for Kicking (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior Series) The Survival Guide for Kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders (And Their Parents)