Start by marking “Words Are Not for Hurting (Ages 4-7) (Best Behavior)” as Want to Read:
Words Are Not for Hurting (Ages 4-7) (Best Behavior)

Words Are Not for Hurting (Ages 4-7) (Best Behavior)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  139 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
The older children get, the more words they know and can use—including hurtful words. This book teaches children that their words belong to them: They can think before they speak, then choose what to say and how to say it. It also explores positive ways to respond when others use unkind words and reinforces the importance of saying “I’m sorry.” Includes tips for parents an ...more
Published April 15th 2004 by Free Spirit Publishing (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Words Are Not for Hurting (Ages 4-7), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Words Are Not for Hurting (Ages 4-7)

Bailey Beats the Blah by Karen TyrrellAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith ViorstHands Are Not for Hitting / Las manos no son para pegar by Martine AgassiThe Way I Feel by Janan CainWhen I Feel Angry by Nancy Cote
Best Picture Books For Therapy
8th out of 42 books — 30 voters
Words Are Not for Hurting (Ages 4-7) by Elizabeth VerdickLlama Llama Red Pajama by Anna DewdneyTeeth Are Not for Biting (Ages 0-3) by Elizabeth VerdickThe Rainbow Fish by Marcus PfisterTell Me What It's Like to Be Big by Joyce Dunbar
Preschool-Growing up
1st out of 26 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Angela Galvin
Apr 03, 2015 Angela Galvin rated it liked it
Words Are Not for Hurting is a story designed to teach students appropriate social skills. The story begins with an explanation of really short words such as "hi", "bye" and "no". The story then talks about how words help say important things such as "I love you" and "Thank you" "Your welcome". The book then discusses how at times, hurtful words come out such as ""your clothes are ugly" and "you are stupid" and "get out of here". The book discusses how people feel after they hear hurtful words a ...more
Michelle Henry
This book illustrates a great example of social and emotional skill for young children. The author addresses how to use words in a kind way to communicate feelings with peers and also how to respond to others if they chose not to use kind words. This book also illustrates good tips for caregivers and examples for students to use in their language as well.

Merged review:

This book "Words Are Not For Hurting" tells a sweet guide on how what you say should be uplifting to other peers, and not words
Rebecca Ashley Teague
Apr 07, 2014 Rebecca Ashley Teague rated it really liked it
Shelves: behavior
This book explains the different kinds of words that we use. It also shows what hurtful words do and what you can do to stop the hurtful words. The book talks about how it is important to not use your words to hurt others, but to use them in a positive way. This book is great because it promotes positive character building in children. I would use this in my classroom to teach students that it is not okay to be hurtful to others. I would use it to reinforce rules in my classroom, if broken. It i ...more
Kenia Soto
Jul 07, 2015 Kenia Soto rated it it was amazing
Shelves: s-e-ecce-2203
This book is perfect for children to reflect on how words affect others. In the beginning of the book the author states that some words can be short and some can be long. It gives example of helpful words and hurtful words. The author then asks the reader how do they feel when they use or are told hurtful words. The book even gives examples of how you or someone would feel when hurtful words are used and ways things children can do to fix the problem. This book focuses on problem-solving, behavi ...more
Kayla
Jan 28, 2015 Kayla rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This book would be great for students to show how words can hurt others. When there have been several fights in the class I would bring this book out to share to the class. It also is good for educating children on all of the different emotions.
Kelly Powell
A great theme for a book geared at children discussing using nice and encouraging words. This would be a good book to read to my students when bullying or teasing occurs. This author took such a problematic topic and gave it a voice that could be heard and understood at almost any age. Definitely a book I want to buy for my classroom.
Libby
To support the child’s vocabulary and narrative skills and help a child between the age of 4-5 years old develop positive and healthy social behaviors, Words Are Not For Hitting is a shared story that explores how to exercise self-control and provides children with alternatives to taking out a frustration or reacting to on by hitting. The child’ vocabulary and narrative skills are promoted during a shared reading as the caregiver invites the child to use their expressive language to communicate ...more
Congyu Chris
Oct 04, 2015 Congyu Chris rated it really liked it
Wonderful recourse for positive behavior.
Tara
Feb 04, 2016 Tara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Part of a series about behavior
Katie
Nov 16, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing
I have seen these books on the shelves forever, but I have avoided them because the titles seem overly negative and preachy. However, now that I've read one I'm really impressed with how they are able to present topics in a way that helps kids understand rules. The content of the book is not so negative as the title, and it is presented in a way that is easy for kids to identify with and understand. It's still not a great bedtime story, but good for teaching kids about basic social skills.
Sydney
I love these books. There is a whole series Like Hands are Not for Hitting. They also have tips in the back of the book for parents and teachers to use the book effectively. I would use it at the beginning of the year and throughout to reinforce using kind words and explain that its ok to get upset but that doesn't mean we can be mean to our friends.
Satin
This is a very kid freely book that encourages the use of nice words. Students will learn alot from reading this book, and explore simple ways to repsond to people saying hurtful things to them. I like this book because it offers activities and disscussion ideas for home, school, and childcare.
Caitrin
Nov 24, 2013 Caitrin rated it really liked it
We all know kids have a hard time with their words and using them wisely. This book can be used to remind your students that words can hurt people's feelings when you use them wrong. We need to always remember to think before we speak so that we don't hurt anyone and this book helps reiterate that.
Liz
I actually think this would be a valuable read for elementary students. Sometimes we all need a reminder that it is possible to apologize when we say something we don't mean. This book offers an opportunity to discuss how we treat our friends.
Sheryl Smith
Jul 17, 2008 Sheryl Smith rated it it was ok
Mariel Galgas
The books in this series are very effective when teaching children about getting along with others. The author explains these concepts in ways that young children could understand.
Alexandra Chauran
Jul 18, 2013 Alexandra Chauran rated it really liked it
I've checked this book out of the library for my daughter when she was two years old several times. She seems to get it. You can extend this lesson to loud voices, too.
Michelle
Sep 20, 2010 Michelle rated it it was amazing
If you're getting this book for an every day read it might be a bit heavy but if you happen to be teaching a preschool class on feelings and emotions, it's the perfect book!
Valarie
Jan 11, 2011 Valarie rated it liked it
Shelves: youth-literature
A good concept, but really pedantic and preachy. Kids don't respond well to books that are obviously lecturing them.
Abby
Aug 19, 2011 Abby rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Abby by: others by the author
A good book for teaching kindness. Not just a "don't do this" but with ideas of what to do instead.
Kelli
Nov 24, 2013 Kelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, behavior
The writing is eh but the activities in the back make this a 4.
Laura Tabrizipour
Oct 27, 2008 Laura Tabrizipour marked it as to-read
I think this would be a great book for teachers to read.
Courtney
Apr 22, 2011 Courtney rated it liked it
Shelves: bobo-challenge
I still like Teeth are not for biting better.
Kathrine Rogers
Manners Week
Rusti
1 copy available
Cheryl Cerra
Cheryl Cerra marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
Amadoubah
Amadoubah rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
Pokie Dot
Pokie Dot marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
New board books by same author/illustrator 1 5 Feb 26, 2009 11:01AM
  • Hands Are Not for Hitting (Ages 4-7)
  • My Mouth Is a Volcano!
  • When I Feel Angry (The Way I Feel Books)
  • Glad Monster, Sad Monster
  • The Way I Feel
  • How to Lose All Your Friends
  • Have You Filled a Bucket Today?: A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids
  • Sometimes I'm Bombaloo
  • Fox Makes Friends
  • Maybe Days: A Book for Children in Foster Care
  • Me First
  • Franklin's New Friend (Franklin the turtle, #16)
  • The Family Book
  • Feelings
  • Just Kidding
  • Please Say Please!: Penguin's Guide to Manners
  • The Grumpy Morning
  • Anh's Anger
Elizabeth Verdick has been writing books since 1997, the year her daughter was born. Her two children, now ages 13 and 8, are the inspiration for nearly everything she writes. Before becoming an author, Elizabeth edited books for children and parents.

These days she writes books for toddlers to teens, and everything in between. She especially loves creating new board book series for toddlers—the l
More about Elizabeth Verdick...

Best Behavior (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Feet Are Not for Kicking (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior Series)
  • Words Are Not for Hurting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior)
  • Teeth Are Not for Biting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior)
  • Tails Are Not for Pulling (Ages 0-3)
  • Germs Are Not for Sharing (Ages 0-3)
  • Germs Are Not for Sharing (Ages 4-7)
  • Noses Are Not for Picking (Ages 0-3)
  • Tails Are Not for Pulling (Ages 4-7)
  • Pacifiers Are Not Forever (Ages 0-3)
  • Hands Are Not for Hitting (Ages 4-7)