Start by marking “The time of Terror (Nathan Peake, # 1)” as Want to Read:
The time of Terror (Nathan Peake, # 1)

The time of Terror (Nathan Peake #1)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The first in a trilogy of novels featuring Nathan Peake, British naval officer and spy during the war with Revolutionary France.

It is 1793, and Peake, Commander of the brig-sloop Nereus based at Rye in East Sussex, is unhappy with his commission and is desperate for some real action. When revolutionary France declares war on England, he gets his chance. The French have kil
Published by Headline (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The time of Terror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The time of Terror

D.w.
This book suffers.

Sorry to say, for most of the books I get from McBooks Press are really good. McBooks knows the genre that they publish, but Hunter has written a book that just touches the genre and is more concerned with, as the title states, the Terror, rather than as the cover and McBooks would have us think, a Napoleonic Era naval saga.

On those merits, as a historical novel it succeeds better than as an Age of Sail novel. Our hero, who is not heroic, but drifts on the sea without any knowl
Rebecca
Seth Hunter makes the time and place come alive. You can almost see Robespierre and the people of the revolution, feel the menace of them and the power that they wielded. There is danger in the streets and violence everywhere. You can feel the terror of the time when you could be killed for not having a tricolor in your hat. It is a very vivid picture of the turmoil of the politics and the capricious nature of the people that Nathan Peake was thrust into. It is a story of the French Revolution a ...more
Jenn
Apr 18, 2011 Jenn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who like fictionalized history
Recommended to Jenn by: I won a copy here.
Shelves: first-reader-win
Blood, gore, and a little more blood for good measure - that's how I once heard the Terror of the French Revolution described. This book is no disappointment for one looking for an interesting nautical adventure intermixed with the horrors of the French Revolution.

Nathaniel Peake (or should I say Turner, which is the alias he uses during most of the story) is an intriguing sea captain who opts to accept a special assignment that lands him right in the midst of Revolutionary France.

Hunter takes l
April
The Time of Terror
Seth Hunter
McBooks Press, Inc.
2008

A Librarything Early Reviewer Book
The Time of Terror is the story of Nathan Peake, a British Navy officer and his undercover work in the post-revolution France.

I am of different minds about this work. The writing is good, but not great. Some of the chapter transitions in the first half of the book were awkward and left me confused on how the characters got to where they were.

The main character, Nathan Peake, is not a good hero. He lets events o
Helen
Nathan Peake is a commander in the British Navy who spends his days chasing smugglers along the English coastline. This is not really Nathan's idea of fun and he longs to have some real adventures. He gets his chance in the year 1793 when, with England and France at war, he is asked to run the blockade in the English Channel and deliver some important documents to the American minister in Paris. Unknown to Nathan, however, his ship is carrying a cargo of counterfeit banknotes - putting his life ...more
Barb
My apologies to Mr. Hunter but this book was not for me. I liked the main character, Nathan Peake and the premise of the novel sounded interesting and exciting. I read the Historical Note at the end of the book and it appears that Mr. Hunter has done his homework. The writing was good, the characterizations were interesting, I liked the setting and the history.

Unfortunately, I had a difficult time getting past the detailed sailing jargon. I wanted to continue reading to find out what happened t
Harry
A wonderful historical novel. Seth Hunters' marvelous prose makes you taste the sea air on the English Channel and feel the chilling terror of the French Revolution. His story is anchored excellently in historical fact with documented notes at the end of the book detailing his deviations. The characters (specifically main character Peake) grow in there development as the the plot moves along. The story does start slowly but builds with suspense and excitement to a satisfying ending. Enjoyed it m ...more
Yolanda
This was a goodreads first read giveaway. Nathan Peake is a British navy commander who has to prove himself to his crew. Nathan does not really want to be there and the crew doubts his leadership. He did come through and earned the respect of not only his crew, but his superiors. In 1793 there is much history and adventure, it started off slow but the pace quickened and the detail was enough. I did like the end when the author went over the parts of history used and what really happened.
Sarah Arnold
You can tell from the writer's style that he is used to writing for television and that can be distracting, at least to begin with. However, if you can get past that, it's quite an enjoyable yarn, into which has clearly gone a lot of careful research.
Booklovers Melbourne
I absolutely loved this book! Nathan Peake has replaced Richard Sharpe as my favourite historical character, with his role as naval officer, spy, lover and Englishman, a breath of fresh air to the genre, Seth Hunter's work is, in my mind, excellent. I hope the series runs as long and fruitful a course as Sharpe did.
Steve Williams
Stuart Lutzenhiser
Not very enjoyable story of a young British naval officer in the time of Robespierre who gets sent as a spy to Paris. Pretty lame, all in all.
Peter Youds
Really good historical fiction - witty and exciting but with plenty of juicy period background, particularly re French Revolution.
J
Plot is not straight forward. A lot of connect the dots thinking. The story teller is as astounded as the reader at the turn of events.
Clint Flatt
Never could grasp me and pull me in to finish it. Maybe it will at a later time
Peter
Never finished it as it was boringly slow and lost interest in it.
Liviu
Great potential and some memorable scenes but very flat style
Micki Levin
Micki Levin marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Hal Harker
Hal Harker marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Sebastian
Sebastian is currently reading it
Jun 14, 2015
Peggy
Peggy added it
Jun 05, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Darcy
Darcy marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Unikuningatar
Unikuningatar marked it as to-read
Morwen
Morwen marked it as to-read
Gateacre
Gateacre marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Buccaneer (Hector Lynch, #2)
  • The Invasion Year (Alan Lewrie, #17)
  • The Privateer's Revenge (Kydd Sea Adventures, #9)
  • Under Enemy Colors (Charles Hayden, #1)
  • The Darkening Sea (Richard Bolitho, #22)
  • King's Man (The Outlaw Chronicles, #3)
1742099
A pseudonym used by Paul Bryers

Seth Hunter is the pseudonym of the author of a number of highly acclaimed and prize-winning adult and children's novels. He has written and directed many historical dramas for television, radio and the theatre and adapted and directed films by playwrights such as Arthur Miller and Michael Bulgakov. He is a member of The Writers Guild of Great Britain, the Director's
More about Seth Hunter...

Nathan Peake (6 books)
  • The Tide of War (Nathan Peake, #2)
  • The Price of Glory (Nathan Peake, #3)
  • The Winds of Folly (Nathan Peake, #4)
  • The Flag Of Freedom ( Nathan Peake, #5)
  • The Spoils of Conquest (Nathan Peake, #6)
The Tide of War (Nathan Peake, #2) The Price of Glory (Nathan Peake, #3) The Winds of Folly (Nathan Peake, #4) The Flag Of Freedom ( Nathan Peake, #5) The Spoils of Conquest (Nathan Peake, #6)