Start by marking “Marchers of Valhalla” as Want to Read:
Marchers of Valhalla

Marchers of Valhalla

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Edition includes 'The Grey God Passes.' Illustrated by Marcus Boas.
Published December 31st 1990 by Donald M. Grant Publishers (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Marchers of Valhalla, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marchers of Valhalla

Jason
Apr 10, 2009 Jason rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: REH fans; fantasy fans; Viking fiction fans
I remember seeing an advertisement for a stand-alone copy of Marchers of Valhalla, even though it’s not long enough to be a novel. The image was a striking depiction of Viking warriors marching against a blowing wind in what appeared to be a desert (or the American Midwest).
I only own one copy of the story, in the Baen collection Eons of the Night. I don’t know how “true” it is, since the Baen books were known for using less-than-pure REH.
Years ago, I think around 2002 or 2003, I began reading t
Andrew
I'm giving these only two stars as I have read better examples of Howard's short story writing..a lot of the tales in this failed to grip me which was a shame as generally I like Howard's stuff and find it a enjoyable light diversion before reading something else.
It's maybe a sign then that such a short book took me about a week to read...of gripped I think I would have dispatched this to the read pile in maybe two days.
The book melds historical points with supernatural elements whether it be an
Timothy Boyd
Robert E. Howard is my all time favorite writer, but for many years much of his work was heavily edited. This is another of the heavily edited collections of Robert E. Howard's stories. I am a purist when it comes to a writers works. I know some of these stories are no longer PC but they should be read as Howard wrote them and understood that he wrote in another time period. Don't read this book unless you just can't find any others of Howard's unedited books to read. Message me if you need a li ...more
John somers
A short story collection by the writer of Conan. I really enjoyed The Thunder-Rider, Marchers of Valhalla and the Grey God Passes (Howards telling of the battle of Clontarf). I didn't think much of A Thunder of Trumpets and the faring town stories Sea Curse & Out of the Deep were only okay but For the Love of Barbara Allen was quite interesting and the the final story The Valley of the Lost is cool as it is a H.P Lovecraft type story set during a feud in the old west. Overall highly recommen ...more
AndrewP
Rich Mainville Jr.
Rich Mainville Jr. marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Stefan Grønvik
Stefan Grønvik marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Robert Daniels
Robert Daniels marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Jtsuruoka
Jtsuruoka marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Jim
Jim added it
Apr 30, 2015
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Dylan Murphy
Dylan Murphy marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Leona
Leona marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Jules abraham De leon
Jules abraham De leon marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Frankie Roxx
Frankie Roxx marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Daniel Stephens
Daniel Stephens marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
R_mills
R_mills marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
James
James marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Brian Boling
Brian Boling marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Robert Ervin Howard was an American pulp writer of fantasy, horror, historical adventure, boxing, western, and detective fiction. Howard wrote "over three-hundred stories and seven-hundred poems of raw power and unbridled emotion" and is especially noted for his memorable depictions of "a sombre universe of swashbuckling adventure and darkling horror."

He is well known for having created — in the p
More about Robert E. Howard...
The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian (Conan the Cimmerian, #1) The Conquering Sword of Conan (Conan the Cimmerian, #3) Conan of Cimmeria (Conan 2) The Bloody Crown of Conan (Conan the Cimmerian, #2) Conan (Book 1)