Start by marking “The Best of Robert E. Howard: Grim Lands (Volume 2)” as Want to Read:
The Best of Robert E. Howard: Grim Lands (Volume 2)

The Best of Robert E. Howard: Grim Lands (Volume 2)

“[Behind Howard’s stories] lurks a dark poetry and the timeless truth of dreams.”
–Robert Bloch

“Howard’s writing seems so highly charged with energy that it nearly gives off sparks.”
–Stephen King

The classic pulp magazines of the early twentieth century are long gone, but their action-packed tales live on through the work of legendary storyteller Robert E. Howard. From hi
Published November 27th 2007 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about The Best of Robert E. Howard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best of Robert E. Howard

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtryThe Time It Never Rained by Elmer KeltonThe Road by Cormac McCarthyMolly Ivins Can't Say That, Can She? by Molly IvinsThe Last Picture Show by Larry McMurtry
Texas Authors
23rd out of 461 books — 162 voters
American Gods by Neil GaimanGood Omens by Terry PratchettThe Stand by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
Theological Weird Fiction
142nd out of 244 books — 206 voters

More lists with this book...

Jim
Oct 23, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it
The second book given to me by my GR friend, Jon (thanks!) & one of the best reads of the year. This collection of Howard's work is an excellent mix of the genres he wrote in, from Sword & Sorcery to Westerns & Horror. If you like his poetry, both volumes have the best collection of them I've ever seen.

I highly recommend this to anyone who likes Howard. I probably have 50 of his books, have been reading him for 40 years & still found stories that I'd never read before. The intro
Valerio
Feb 04, 2016 Valerio rated it really liked it
Questo volume contiene:

Cimmeria (Poem)
The Tower of the Elephant
Red Nails
The Mirrors of Tuzun Thune
By This Axe I Rule!
The King and the Oak (poem)
The Shadow of the Vulture
Wings in the Night (1932)
Solomon Kane's Homecoming (poem) Ver. 1
Musings
Flint's Passing

Travis
Feb 08, 2009 Travis rated it it was amazing
More manly adventure stories from Robert E Howard. More historical adventures in this volume than volume one. Some good, gritty westerns and a great pirate story.
A couple of good Kulls stories, El Borak returns and a classic Conan story.

Conan is Howard's most famous character, but is the least interesting to me. 'Red Nails' had a good first half but kind of meandered an then wrapped up too quickly. Did like the lady pirate character though.
Not that there is such a thing as a bad Howard story. Th
Joseph
Jun 25, 2013 Joseph rated it really liked it
This volume had more stories than the first that I hadn't previously read and/or that weren't part of the previous Del Rey series -- again, in addition to an assortment of Kull, Solomon Kane and Conan, we got boxing stories, Westerns, historical adventures and a few horror stories. I suspect a number of the stories will have been reprinted in the subsequent Del Rey volumes, though.

Again, thunderingly good and surprisingly well-written adventure stories from an author who's only recently begun to
Charles
Jul 11, 2009 Charles rated it it was amazing
Definitely some of Howard's best work, although there are some lesser pieces here I think. Given the fact that the editor wanted a selection from the whole "range" of Howard's work, this and the first volume do an excellent job of giving you tremendous stories and poems while letting you see the incredible range across which Howard worked.

I'd urge readers to skip the introduction initially and go straight to the stories. Then come back and read the intro for some perspective on what you've taken
Ron
Jan 07, 2009 Ron rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ron by: Jon Moss
Robert E. Howard is a great story teller and his short stories are, generally, fun reads, but Howard is not a great author as Steven Tompkins purports in twenty-five wasted pages in "Barbarian at the Pantheon-Gates."

Read Howard, don't read about him.
M
Jan 27, 2016 M rated it it was amazing
My feelings on this book are a bit mixed. The stories are generally pretty great adventures and there's a nice range of subject matter here. Of course, there's some Kull, Conan, and Solomon Kane stuff, all of which is pretty fun. Tower of the Elephant is especially good as it's an example of how Howard mixed fantasy with the sort of weird cosmic stuff his contemporaries like Lovecraft were doing. There's also some pretty good Westerns, although the one comedic one was kinda bad, in my opinion. T ...more
Michael
Apr 05, 2016 Michael rated it really liked it
A great selection of Howard's work. Included with this volume are some classic Conan, Solomon Kane, Kull, El Borak, and Steve Costigan tales. There are also some great western tales, a couple of great horror stories, crusades stories, and a fun pirate story. If you are curious about Robert E. Howard's work, this volume, and its companion is a great place to start.

Howard's Conan stories are my favorite, and the two stories: The Tower of the Elephant and Red Nails are both classic. The Tower of t
Mick
Feb 18, 2008 Mick rated it liked it
Overall, I'd have to say there were not as many great stories in this one as I found in volume 1.

BUT, this thing is worth the purchase, even just for the excellent Conan tale "Red Nails" alone. And on top of that, this one's got a great Solomon Kane story, a very enjoyable El Borak tale, and two great pirate stories to boot.

A few of the others were uneven, but still, there's no doubt in my mind now that Howard deserves a place in the fantasy/adventure pantheon.

But yeah, like many compilations of
Timothy Boyd
Feb 12, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it
An excellent selection or Robert E. Howard's stories. These are the original unedited stories as Howard wrote them. No one writes action stories like Howard. Very recommend
Jim
Mar 04, 2012 Jim rated it it was ok
This volume had less of the Conan or Kull stories which I enjoy so much. Red Nails ends the collection on a strong note, leaving a pleasant taste in my mouth after some rather dreary stories.
Kristopher
Aug 02, 2009 Kristopher rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This started as a review for Guys' Lit Wire, then it grew into huge sort of an overview of Howard's work: http://guyslitwire.blogspot.com/2009/...
Bob Wilkins
Mar 24, 2010 Bob Wilkins rated it liked it
The stories are all 5 star, but there is a LOT of overlap with all the previous Del Rey books.
Takipsilim
Oct 15, 2010 Takipsilim rated it really liked it
The final "Best of..." from the prolific Texan author.
Alex
Jul 29, 2013 Alex rated it really liked it
A solid mix of entertaining short stories.
Paul Johnson
Paul Johnson marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Aaron Johnson
Aaron Johnson marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Onyx
Onyx marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Salvador Ferraro
Salvador Ferraro marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
John Jenkins
John Jenkins marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Fabio
Fabio marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Jay
Jay added it
Jun 06, 2016
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Timothy Dee
Timothy Dee rated it really liked it
May 06, 2016
Ethan Nahté
Ethan Nahté marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Peggy Geiger
Peggy Geiger marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
  • Blood and Thunder: The Life and Art of Robert E. Howard
  • One Who Walked Alone – Robert E. Howard: The Final Years
  • The Shuttered Room And Other Tales Of Horror
  • The Second Book of Lankhmar
  • The Dunwich Cycle: Where the Old Gods Wait (Cthulhu Cycle Book, #9)
  • Spectre Nightmares and Visitations
  • Age of Reptiles: Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • The Devil's Dictionary and Other Works
  • Weird Tales: The Magazine That Never Dies
  • Cascade Point and Other Stories
Robert Ervin Howard was an American pulp writer of fantasy, horror, historical adventure, boxing, western, and detective fiction. Howard wrote "over three-hundred stories and seven-hundred poems of raw power and unbridled emotion" and is especially noted for his memorable depictions of "a sombre universe of swashbuckling adventure and darkling horror."

He is well known for having created — in the p
More about Robert E. Howard...