Start by marking “Flight of the Dragon Kyn (Dragon Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Flight of the Dragon Kyn (Dragon Chronicles, #2)

Flight of the Dragon Kyn (Dragon Chronicles #2)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  2,684 ratings  ·  37 reviews
There is a story about Kara and dragons. When she was four, she came down with vermillion fever. Her parents, thinking there was no cure, left her in a cave to die. A month later she walked back into her parents' home as healthy as if she had never been sick. It is said that a mother dragon lived in that cave, and she nursed young Kara back to life.
Published November 1st 1997 by Aladdin (first published October 31st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Flight of the Dragon Kyn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flight of the Dragon Kyn

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
114th out of 808 books — 1,587 voters
His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi NovikThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEragon by Christopher PaoliniBentwhistle The Dragon in A Chilling Revelation by Paul CudeEldest by Christopher Paolini
Dragons/Serpents
83rd out of 317 books — 166 voters

More lists with this book...

Tushmit
Feb 18, 2014 Tushmit rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
While clearly intended for a YA audience, there is something very non-YA about this books and the others in the series. I hesitate to say adult, because I equate adult books with "harshness". I can't seem to think of any adult books that don't deal with harshness of life or don't take a harsh look at its characters or human nature in general.

True to a large majority of YA books, this one doesn't take a harsh approach to life or the characters. But at the same time, it doesn't hesitate to be dark
Carol Riggs
This is the second in Susan Fletcher's series about dragons and draclings, but is actually the PREQUEL to the first book. It tells the story of Kara, who has green eyes and can mind-speak with birds and dragons alike. She too struggles to save dragons from the cruelness of humans, who are bent on destroying these magnificent creatures who have a right to live. A wonderful, exciting book!
Clearwater Public Library Staff Picks
Books that are back-story, or prequels, are some of the most interesting things to read in my view. You read the first book in a series and it mentions a character in passing, and you are always left wondering, who is that person and what did they do? Well, this is Kara's story. She is Kaeldra's great great great ( I think that's all the greats) grandmother and she can also speak to dragons and birds. This book was just as enthralling as the first in the series. Kara was a strong heroine, yet sh ...more
Samantha
After reading the first books, I had really high hopes for this sequel/prequel. Ms. Fletcher did not let me down! I was enthralled. This book held my attention even more than Dragon's Milk. Susan Fletcher strings her tale so masterfully!

I was so happy that Ms. Fletcher was once more able to create such a strong heroine that is so relatable. I loved Kara! She is strong in her own way and continues to make her own path throughout the book. Kara can summon birds, so King Orrik assumes that she can
Brittany
I found this book to be much stronger than the book it is a "prequel" to, Dragon's Milk, whether because it was written later or because it is just a more interesting story, I'm not sure.

Whichever it is, the prose and the dialog are not quite as cringe-worthy, and the plot and characters are slightly more well-developed. Kara, the heroine, is a stronger character and individual, and plays much better as protagonist. She was flawed but as least occasionally exhibited some backbone and stood up f
Angie
I'm not sure whether I enjoyed this more than book one or about the same. I mean, I love birds a lot too ("My friend Angie likes birds" is a popular quote among my friends), AND there's dragons? What's not to love? Yet I feel there were many opportunities to turn it into something more. Perhaps the character development could have been explored more. Oh, by the way, this is the story of Kara, who is mentioned in "Dragon's Milk" as the green-eyed girl raised by a dragon who was able to safely lea ...more
Jen
Bought this for my 11 year old and read first. It was slow to start but I really enjoyed it. Now to see if I can get my son to read it
Fae
Not as good as Dragon's Milk, but still a good read. I liked reading about the past and how it ties into Dragon's Milk, especially learning who Rath and Myrra grow up to be!
Jessica Hollo
This book was somewhat confusing, as it is number 2 in the series, but really reads as more of a pre-history to book number 1. Both would have benefited from less confusion if this one went first...
Although the story was good, the fact that it came out of order threw me off, and had me constantly comparing to book number 1, so I was never able to fully get into it. Interesting take on the dragon story, but not as well fleshed out as I would like, pretty 1 dimensional. If I check out book 3, at t
Jill
I really wanted to like this book more than I did. Some of the wording could have been improved to make for a better reading experience for the target group.
Siobhan
Karalee
I picked this book up because it satisfied the requirements for a book challenge I am participating in (needed a book with a main character who shared my name). I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. The premise is very interesting and I was really drawn into the world the author created. I especially loved the scenes set in the dragon's cave. This book is a prequel to a later series set subsequent to the events in this book and I will definitely give that series a try based on how m ...more
Coco
Read this in junior high. A quick read, but set in an interesting universe where green-eyed women--in this book, Kara--are able to speak with birds and dragons. This is the first book in the storyline even though it was published later, and I found it easier to start with this one than the "first" in the trilogy. Good for a younger audience.
Amy
Probably more like 3 stars, but it gets an extra star for nostalgia, as I loved this book as a child. Possibly a better review to follow...
Helena
Oh. My. Gosh. I have been looking for this book for a million years (serious, like, ten). I couldn't recall the title or the author; I just knew there were dragons and i loved it. I could never find the rest of the series or even another copy of this book. I can't believe I found it!!
Bridgett
I read Sign of the Dove many years ago and loved it, and finally read this book. It was good, but not as good as I remember Sign of the Dove being (of course I'm a lot older now). I intend to read the first book soon.
Nicole
I think it would make more sense to read this book first before reading Dragon's Milk (the first book in the series) as this second novel takes place before it.
Trip
Jan 17, 2009 Trip rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kids of about 10-12
(prequel to Dragon's Milk)
Cecilie
Amazingly thought through - I loved having this story unraveled more, and it is beautifully done with some great last-pages revelations.
rissabean
I really liked this book.....almost as much as the first one. I was pulled into this story and enjoyed it! Great book!!!!!
Sutashii
I read this series a long time ago and absolutely loved it! It set my standards for what type of dragon books I enjoy reading.
Lia Nicole
This book was great! It flows well with the first one. This series is the reason I started reading so much. :)
Jeenia Zaki
i readf this part of the seires. it seems ok to me. i dont exactly know if i like it but i dont dislike it.
Mikaylah Bates
The second book of a trilogy. Pretty good and helps you understand the happenings in the 1 book.
Autumn
Absolutely loved it! I love the characters and what Kara discovers about herself.
Raytchul
A prequel to the first book in the series and in my opinion, the best of the lot.
Branwen *Blaidd Drwg*
I really love the way Susan Fletcher writes dragons; they seem so real!
Mailis Viiand
Lovely, old-school fantasy for kids. Its a surprising gem of a book.
Dannee
i read this book in 5th or 6th grade but i remember that is was good
Brian
Mar 11, 2014 Brian rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dragon lovers
Recommended to Brian by: Ancient, Strange & Lovely
3.5 stars. An improvement from the first book.
  • Dragon's Bait
  • Song of the Wanderer (Unicorn Chronicles, #2)
  • Wren's War (Wren, #3)
  • Heart's Blood
  • Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)
  • Red Unicorn (Unicorn, #3)
  • Dragon of the Lost Sea
  • Ivy's Ever After
  • The Arkadians
  • Sunchaser's Quest (Unicorns of Balinor, #2)
119933

Susan Fletcher is the author of a popular trilogy that includes the books Dragon's Milk, Flight of the Dragon Kyn, and Sign of the Dove, as well as of several other novels for young readers.

With a medieval setting inspired by pictures of the Welsh countryside from where Flet
More about Susan Fletcher...
Dragon's Milk (Dragon Chronicles, #1) Shadow Spinner Sign of the Dove (The Dragon Chronicles, Book 3) Alphabet of Dreams Ancient, Strange, and Lovely (Dragon Chronicles, #4)