Start by marking “Flight of the Dragon Kyn (Dragon Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Flight of the Dragon Kyn (Dragon Chronicles, #2)

Flight of the Dragon Kyn (Dragon Chronicles #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,063 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
There is a story about Kara and dragons. When she was four, she came down with vermillion fever. Her parents, thinking there was no cure, left her in a cave to die. A month later she walked back into her parents' home as healthy as if she had never been sick. It is said that a mother dragon lived in that cave, and she nursed young Kara back to life.
Published November 1st 1997 by Aladdin (first published October 31st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Flight of the Dragon Kyn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flight of the Dragon Kyn

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
117th out of 976 books — 1,903 voters
Keturah and Lord Death by Martine LeavittSummers at Castle Auburn by Sharon ShinnThe Seer and the Sword by Victoria HanleyFire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne JonesThe Hollow Kingdom by Clare B. Dunkle
Hidden Gems: YA-Fantasy Novels
341st out of 1,417 books — 3,377 voters

More lists with this book...

Carol Riggs
Nov 30, 2012 Carol Riggs rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
This is the second in Susan Fletcher's series about dragons and draclings, but is actually the PREQUEL to the first book. It tells the story of Kara, who has green eyes and can mind-speak with birds and dragons alike. She too struggles to save dragons from the cruelness of humans, who are bent on destroying these magnificent creatures who have a right to live. A wonderful, exciting book!
Clearwater Public Library Staff Picks
Books that are back-story, or prequels, are some of the most interesting things to read in my view. You read the first book in a series and it mentions a character in passing, and you are always left wondering, who is that person and what did they do? Well, this is Kara's story. She is Kaeldra's great great great ( I think that's all the greats) grandmother and she can also speak to dragons and birds. This book was just as enthralling as the first in the series. Kara was a strong heroine, yet sh ...more
MrsK Books
Apr 08, 2015 MrsK Books rated it it was amazing
This book follows Dragon's Milk which started it all. My son adored this book series (still does). Many years ago he began selling this book during the Author weekends in our mall. He has never forgotten this book, Dragon's Milk, nor Susan.

Needless to say, this book has always been one of my "go to" books for readers whom are not "series" minded. Once they begin their quest with Dragon's Milk, they always want the journey to continue. Luckily, Susan has written more sequels and we are always awa
Tushmit
Dec 25, 2015 Tushmit rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy
While clearly intended for a YA audience, there is something very non-YA about this books and the others in the series. I hesitate to say adult, because I equate adult books with "harshness". I can't seem to think of any adult books that don't deal with harshness of life or don't take a harsh look at its characters or human nature in general.

True to a large majority of YA books, this one doesn't take a harsh approach to life or the characters. But at the same time, it doesn't hesitate to be dark
Samantha
After reading the first books, I had really high hopes for this sequel/prequel. Ms. Fletcher did not let me down! I was enthralled. This book held my attention even more than Dragon's Milk. Susan Fletcher strings her tale so masterfully!

I was so happy that Ms. Fletcher was once more able to create such a strong heroine that is so relatable. I loved Kara! She is strong in her own way and continues to make her own path throughout the book. Kara can summon birds, so King Orrik assumes that she can
Brittany
Jan 04, 2011 Brittany rated it liked it
Shelves: yafantasy
I found this book to be much stronger than the book it is a "prequel" to, Dragon's Milk, whether because it was written later or because it is just a more interesting story, I'm not sure.

Whichever it is, the prose and the dialog are not quite as cringe-worthy, and the plot and characters are slightly more well-developed. Kara, the heroine, is a stronger character and individual, and plays much better as protagonist. She was flawed but as least occasionally exhibited some backbone and stood up f
Elora Salls
May 27, 2015 Elora Salls rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, love!

I read this book when I was a young teenager and remembered it fondly. Reading it again as an adult was very rewarding. Kara's story is good for boys and girls of all ages. It is a clean and exciting adventure! I find it awfully romantic too. Beautifully and brilliantly written, Susan Fletcher's dragon series will always have a special place in my heart.
Angie
Nov 24, 2015 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I'm not sure whether I enjoyed this more than book one or about the same. I mean, I love birds a lot too ("My friend Angie likes birds" is a popular quote among my friends), AND there's dragons? What's not to love? Yet I feel there were many opportunities to turn it into something more. Perhaps the character development could have been explored more. Oh, by the way, this is the story of Kara, who is mentioned in "Dragon's Milk" as the green-eyed girl raised by a dragon who was able to safely lea ...more
Lina
Oct 18, 2015 Lina rated it really liked it
This story actually takes place before the first one in the series and doesn't have much to do with it. Despite this, I couldn't put it down, even to go to bed.
Jen Boone
Sep 16, 2014 Jen Boone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bought this for my 11 year old and read first. It was slow to start but I really enjoyed it. Now to see if I can get my son to read it
Angelya (Tea in the Treetops)
A great tale, with surprisingly rich language for a middle-grade book. Perhaps for early teens or younger-uns who read very well. Who doesn't like a dragon story?
Full review soon..
Fae
Oct 18, 2014 Fae rated it liked it
Not as good as Dragon's Milk, but still a good read. I liked reading about the past and how it ties into Dragon's Milk, especially learning who Rath and Myrra grow up to be!
Jessica Hollo
Sep 23, 2013 Jessica Hollo rated it liked it
This book was somewhat confusing, as it is number 2 in the series, but really reads as more of a pre-history to book number 1. Both would have benefited from less confusion if this one went first...
Although the story was good, the fact that it came out of order threw me off, and had me constantly comparing to book number 1, so I was never able to fully get into it. Interesting take on the dragon story, but not as well fleshed out as I would like, pretty 1 dimensional. If I check out book 3, at t
Hildegart
Sep 11, 2014 Hildegart rated it liked it
Shelves:
I really wanted to like this book more than I did. Some of the wording could have been improved to make for a better reading experience for the target group.
Tiffany
Jan 18, 2015 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Definite read for my future kids!
Siobhan
Karalee
May 19, 2009 Karalee rated it really liked it
I picked this book up because it satisfied the requirements for a book challenge I am participating in (needed a book with a main character who shared my name). I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. The premise is very interesting and I was really drawn into the world the author created. I especially loved the scenes set in the dragon's cave. This book is a prequel to a later series set subsequent to the events in this book and I will definitely give that series a try based on how m ...more
Coco
Aug 15, 2011 Coco rated it really liked it
Read this in junior high. A quick read, but set in an interesting universe where green-eyed women--in this book, Kara--are able to speak with birds and dragons. This is the first book in the storyline even though it was published later, and I found it easier to start with this one than the "first" in the trilogy. Good for a younger audience.
Meredith
Nov 26, 2015 Meredith rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The first book introduced a world with a lot of history that is mentioned in bits and pieces. This book goes back and tells that story. Which I didn't know I wanted until I started. Now I really hope the next one is in between, or after the first one... actually this world is interesting and I'll read them all.
Awsomebookstoread342
Apr 18, 2015 Awsomebookstoread342 rated it it was amazing
I really liked it!
Amy
Aug 27, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
Probably more like 3 stars, but it gets an extra star for nostalgia, as I loved this book as a child. Possibly a better review to follow...
Elliot
Jun 09, 2013 Elliot rated it really liked it
Shelves: before-time
Oh. My. Gosh. I have been looking for this book for a million years (serious, like, ten). I couldn't recall the title or the author; I just knew there were dragons and i loved it. I could never find the rest of the series or even another copy of this book. I can't believe I found it!!
Tatra
Aug 28, 2015 Tatra rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2015, 2015-august
I loved seeing how it all started, and seeing the connection back to the first one.
Bridgett
Nov 29, 2008 Bridgett rated it really liked it
I read Sign of the Dove many years ago and loved it, and finally read this book. It was good, but not as good as I remember Sign of the Dove being (of course I'm a lot older now). I intend to read the first book soon.
Nicole
Dec 23, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-bookshelf
I think it would make more sense to read this book first before reading Dragon's Milk (the first book in the series) as this second novel takes place before it.
Trip
Jan 17, 2009 Trip rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Kids of about 10-12
(prequel to Dragon's Milk)
Amanda
Sep 23, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
This walks a fine line between middle grade and YA - overall I lean YA. I loved this story and that Kara doesn't need a man to save her.
Cecilie
Feb 04, 2013 Cecilie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, own
Amazingly thought through - I loved having this story unraveled more, and it is beautifully done with some great last-pages revelations.
rissabean
Dec 21, 2008 rissabean rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book.....almost as much as the first one. I was pulled into this story and enjoyed it! Great book!!!!!
Sutashii
Dec 04, 2009 Sutashii rated it really liked it
I read this series a long time ago and absolutely loved it! It set my standards for what type of dragon books I enjoy reading.
  • Dragon's Bait
  • Song of the Wanderer (Unicorn Chronicles, #2)
  • Wren's War (Wren, #3)
  • Dragon of the Lost Sea
  • Heart's Blood
  • Red Unicorn (Unicorn, #3)
  • Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)
  • The Dragonbards (Dragonbards, Book 3)
  • The Dragon of Never-Was (Hatching Magic, #2)
  • Sunchaser's Quest (Unicorns of Balinor, #2)
  • In the Coils of the Snake (The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, #3)
  • Ivy's Ever After
119933
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thread for more information. Please do, however, be aware that this thread is no longer kept up to date.

Susan Fletcher is the author of a popular trilogy that includes the books Dragon's Milk, Flight of the Dragon Kyn, and Sign of the Dove, as well as of several other novels for young readers.

With a me
More about Susan Fletcher...

Dragon Chronicles (4 books)
  • Dragon's Milk (Dragon Chronicles, #1)
  • Sign of the Dove (The Dragon Chronicles, Book 3)
  • Ancient, Strange, and Lovely (Dragon Chronicles, #4)