Start by marking “Kit Story Collection (American Girls: Kit, #1-6)” as Want to Read:
Kit Story Collection (American Girls: Kit, #1-6)

Kit Story Collection (American Girls: Kit #1-6)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  1,675 ratings  ·  78 reviews
Kit: 1934
Kit Kittredge's family went from rich to poor overnight when Dad closed his business because of the Depression. Now Kit's days are filled with chores -- and with worry about whether her family can save their house. Kit must rely on her own determination to help her family face the dark days of the Depression.

(from the back cover)
Published 2008 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Kit Story Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kit Story Collection

Ruth Sophia
One big detracting factor from an otherwise enjoyable set

What I appreciated about the Kit books: Like the original American Girl doll books (more on this later) after the story of each book there is a "Peek into the Past" containing a few facts about the era using the story read as a springboard. There are also pictures of people/artificats/etc from that time.

The stories are engaging and age appropriate. You don't have to worry about inappropriate words or other content.

The illustrations are wel
Hannah
Kit. Oh, Kit! These books were really good! I loved reading them with my sister and mom! It was very fun to go on her journey.
True rating: 4.5 stars.

Aside from author Valerie Tripp (through Aunt Millie, her “expert” on Shakespeare) perpetuating the incorrect Shakespearean quote, "Lead on, Macduff" -- the correct line is "Lay on, Macduff" -- I have no complaints about this American Girl entry. I had recently watched the Kit Kittredge movie and thought it one of the best in the series, and I feel the same way about the Kit Story Collection. The two are vastly different in plot, however. The movie merely uses the characte
Annalise Esmond
This was a great book. I liked it because I knew a little bit about the topic already from my grandma, who grew up during this time period, I found to very interesting and wanted to learn more. This book is about a girl named Kit Kitteridge who is growing up during the Great Depression. Life is all fine and dandy until one day her father comes home with news that his factory closed, and he was out of a job. Kit's mother did not work either, so they were going to be losing money fast. Kit goes on ...more
Marjorie Brewer
Kit is great for young kids to read about because she goes through the Great Depression and experiences all the hardships through the eyes of a child. Overall a very relatable book for young kids.
Taylor
these books are the greatest! kit kit-rage is an american girl is living in the times of the depression. One of the hardest times to live in. she has her best friends Ruth, Frances and a weird boy that happens to be in her class. His name is Sterling. One day her and her friends were going into the tree house and Frances looked next store and her house got taken away form the bank. they were crying and of coarse the mother was scared and did not know what to do. kit and her family were scared ab ...more
Holly
The American Girls Collection is a wonderful collection of books. I grew up reading these books and playing with the dolls. I grew up with Molly, Samantha, Felicity, Kirsten, and Addy. Kit came along when my sister was younger. As soon as I could get my hands on the Kit books I read them all. After rereading them I relived why I enjoy them so much. This collection follows a young girl Kit who's family lives in the Cincinnati area. Kit's father loses his job and the family has to think of creativ ...more
Anneke
A story of the girl in the great depression.
Becky
My daughter and I like these stories because they help us understand the depression. Kit's family had to be very creative when her father lost his job and couldn't find more work. They turned their home into a boarding house. Kit gets into all kinds of adventures in these books. She also learns to work hard and look on the bright side of things. Hope can go a long way when the world looks discouraging all around you. She became very thrifty. She also kept writing her little newspaper. She will b ...more
Roe
Alright, I have to rate and review this. Kit is such an important part of my childhood. She's intelligent, daring, kind, and confident, and a perfect role model for a little girl. I even have her doll and her books on my shelf right now. Kit Kitteredge challenges herself and her friends and strives to write truthfully and bring hope to those around her. If you're considering giving a daughter, cousin, neighbor girl, or anyone Kit's books, do. You'll definitely be thanked for it!
Maymuna
I liked this story collection because Kit was funny, cheerful. She was arrested but she got out. But I don't know which is my favourite book because they were all so awesome. I liked the theater one, where Kit volunteers to work in the theater and she does that until school starts. In another book they work for a newspaper. And then in her first book, she had a boy living in her home called Sterling. They had boarders. That's all I have to say about this book.
Brianna
I liked this book because of the way so many girls my age, younger, or older can relate to Kit in many many ways. Kit lives in the time of the Great Depression and goes through every trial that it throws at her and her family. Kit always tries to look on the upside of things as she makes new friends and makes some mischief. I recommend this book to all ages of girls that want to just curl up and let their imaginations go as they read Kit:An American Girl.
Rachel
Miss Clark
Hanna
I think that this is a great seires for a ten year old. I read them when I was 10 and I LOVED them!! I would read them over and over, but then I stopped... And last saturday I decided to read them all over again! (P.S. The movie, although it is good, doesn't follow the storyline... at all. Only a little bit. So read the books.)
Carol Hardesty
Kit was probably the last American Girl I read about. By that time, my interest in the American Girls Collection was waning; I felt that the creators were running out of ideas. Still, I do appreciate the "Kit" books for teaching me about the Great Depression and why it's important to make the most of what you have.
Mary
I love the American Girl series and I plan to keep them for many years to come. Kit, is a spunky girl with pride and good nack of making stuff into fun. She wishes to be a reporter and through her adventures during the Great Depression draws you into a world, that is starting to look like our own.
Amanda Wheet
I remember the arrival of Kit so vividly, and my genuine excitement. Her stories have always captivated me, and she runs a close second to Molly as one of my favorite sets of AG stories. From beginning to end, Kit's stories are heartfelt and lovely, like coming home after a long day.
Kristin
Who can't love the American Girl series? Just as the others, Kit's story collection takes a point in time, in this case the Great Depression, and tells about life from a young girl's point of view. Kit has the kind of caring and gumption we hope all girls develop.
Helena
I like that it includes hobos and it is a little scarry and that there is robbing going on. I like how Kit carries around information everywhere. Kit finds a dog and talks to it and makes it her friend.

Marianne
Jun 03, 2008 Marianne rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls
These book's are so great!! Kit is growing up during the depression and she is realizing she has to face it ....... She's poor. Learn about kit and growing up in the time of depression and see what they did to help and try to get a meal on their plates.
Euroca
I really enjoyed this set. It made me think about how really blessed we are today. I want my kids to read these. Even my older ones. Maybe it will help them realize all that they have and how easy it is to lose material posessions.
Gillian A.
I learned a lot about depression after i read these books and then since I loved Kit so much after that I got her for Christmas. I can even tell you her real name which happens to be Margrat, I think thats how u say it
Beth Moorhead
These stories really helped Lorna and I to gain perspective on life in 1934, my mom was ten years old at that time. Loved Kit's "Waste Not, Want Not Almanac" and the message of finding the positive in all things and people.
Anna
Cute stories. I figured that I may as well add the boxed set to my read in 2012 because it would bring me closer to my goal and I read them all in a few days in January! Wish they were longer but they are meant for kids so yah.
Rachael
We loved Kit. We really like all the American Girls books - another great audio pick for the summer. I'm impressed with the quality of writing, the relevance of the historical stories and the gentle lessons taught.
liz
I read this as a scouting mission for when my own little Kit & I will read chapter books together. Loved the overall message of learning to deal with life's disappointments without becoming disappointed in living.
The  SciFi Chick Muses
Having two daughters it is only natural that they would want to read the Histories of their dolls. But, that is what makes these books so wonderful! Historical Fiction is made "cool"! I just love it!
Charlette
I have been reading one book a month with my daughter. we have learned so much about the deprestion. and have had a blast in a book group we have with her friends.
A great mother daughter book.
  • Kaya: An American Girl : 1764 / Box Set
  • Addy: An American Girl (Boxed Set) (American Girls Collection)
  • Rebecca: An American Girl (Rebecca #1-6)
  • Julie: An American Girl (American Girls: Julie, #1-6)
  • The Curse of Ravenscourt: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Night Flyers (American Girl History Mysteries, #3)
  • Under Copp's Hill (American Girl History Mysteries, #8)
  • The Strange Case of Baby H (American Girl History Mysteries, #18)
  • Danger at the Zoo: A Kit Mystery (American Girl Mysteries (Quality))
  • Nicki
  • Hoofbeats of Danger (American Girl History Mysteries, #2)
  • Cecile: Gates of Gold (Girls of Many Lands, France)
  • A Spy on the Home Front: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
Valerie Tripp is a children's book author, best known for her work with the American Girl series.

She grew up in Mount Kisco, New York with three sisters. She is a reading expert with a Reading Master’s of Education degree from Harvard University. Since 1985 she has lived in Silver Spring, Maryland. Her husband teaches history at Montgomery College. She has been a writer for reading textbooks for t
More about Valerie Tripp...

American Girls: Kit (6 books)
  • Meet Kit: An American Girl 1934 (American Girls: Kit, #1)
  • Kit Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Kit, #2)
  • Kit's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Kit, #3)
  • Happy Birthday Kit: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Kit, #4)
  • Kit Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Kit, #5)
  • Changes for Kit: A Winter Story (American Girls: Kit, #6)
Meet Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls: Felicity, #1) Meet Molly: An American Girl (American Girls: Molly, #1) Samantha's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set) Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls Collection) Molly: An American Girl : 1944 (The American Girls Collection)