Start by marking “Absolute Trust in the Goodness of the Earth: New Poems” as Want to Read:
Absolute Trust in the Goodness of the Earth: New Poems

Absolute Trust in the Goodness of the Earth: New Poems

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  378 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Alice Walker's first new collection of poetry since 1991, poems that reaffirm her as "one of the best American writers of today" [The Washington Post]. The forces of nature and the strength of the human spirit inspire the poems in Absolute Trust in the Goodness of the Earth. Alice Walker opens us to feeling and understanding, with poems that cover a broad spectrum of emoti ...more
Published March 9th 2004 by Random House Trade Paperbacks (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Absolute Trust in the Goodness of the Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Absolute Trust in the Goodness of the Earth

Honest. Deeply introspective. Embracing all of life.

On Some Things to Enjoy About Aging--

Talking to myself:
Amusing company
For me &
My dog.

There is so much in this little book. Very powerful.
Also very cool is this book has her signature -- example
My love for Alice Walker’s writing began back in 1995 when I wrote about The Colour Purple as part of my dissertation. It remains one of my favourite books of all time. I came across this 2004 publication more recently. I was in the library, supposedly working on my own book, but instead I spent the morning devouring these poems.

I loved the whole book, but would particularly recommend: ‘Coming Back from Seeing Your People’; ‘What Will Save Us’; ‘Thanksgiving’; ‘(Yours and Mine) Is Obsolete’; and
Susan  Odetta
the hunger
we cannot
in a garden
our own."
hey! my soul just healed!
Taylor Quinn
Thank you Alice Walker for restoring my faith in just simply being. I couldn't have picked this up at a better time.

It is all

All she can
It is all
She know
Harry A
These are simple yet beautiful poems that express Walker's view clearly. Some of the poems I like best end in a different place than they seem to be going; others involve telling contrasts.

'Coming back from seeing your people', for example, starts with a contrast between the effects of seeing 'your people' and of supping with 'vampires'--but doesn't end with the simple preference for seeing your people, but ends instead with needing to 'learn To walk alone To hold The precious Silence To bring h
In my late teens, I found a poem of Alice Walker’s that resonated with me so strongly that I kept a copy of it on my wall for my entire four years of college.
Somehow, in the intervening years, my love of Alice Walker’s poetry slipped from my memory. Indeed, when I picked up this book at the library on a whim, I had totally forgotten that the poem I loved so much in college was even written by Ms. Walker.

It wasn’t until I started reading that I fell back in love with Ms. Walker’s lyrical, magical
I'm a little mixed about this book.

I didn't care for the introduction. (Sorry, just can't get behind someone promoting mushrooms / etc, even for spiritual use. :D) I didn't like the composition of the poems at all.

As for the actual content, some felt like soap boxes, others were over-simple, and some were very moving.

Composition & line breaks aside, here are my favorites:

p 26, Despite / the hunger / we cannot / possess / more / than / this: / Peace / in a garden / of / our own.

p 78, ... T
May 16, 2012 Molly rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: poems
(1.5 / 5) "--if poems can actually be called writing... From that first volume [of my poetry] to this, what remains the same is the sense that, unlike 'writing,' poetry chooses when it will be expressed, and under what circumstances. Its requirements for existence remain mysterious. In its spontaneous, bare truthfulness, it bears a close relation to song and to prayer."

I wish I could properly unscrew my lens and read this book as I might have in middle or high school, where things such as form a
A wonderful collection of poems; my favorite being "The Same As Gold".

Now that I

Which had no roof
My tears
Covered us
Like rain
I wanted to love this collection more. There are individual poems I would definitely give 5 stars and are as lovely as a poem can be, but as a collection, it was so much the same. And while most poetry is personal, this is personal in a way that makes it hard for the reader to access at all. Oftentimes writers who've established a "name" can have a whole book built up around their musings--this is what this collection of poems feels like to me.
"The Color Purple" has become one of my favorite books of all time, but I've never ventured into Walker's poetry before. I'm glad I chose this collection as my first foray. There is a grace in Walker's writing that flows seemingly without effort. Themes meander from the mystical to the mundane; all are tended to with care and love. A solid compilation.
Heavily influenced by the terrorist attacks of 9-11. Affirming, but somewhat odd (unpleasant, in my view) in form. Lots of great poems, but lots of duds too.
Dec 07, 2012 E rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
Like Charles Baudelaire and Sandra Cisneros, Alice Walker is a brilliant writer who can't pull it off when it comes to poetry. Her line breaks are amateurishly arbitrary. And the beautiful balance between heavenly ideals and down-to-earth anguish that she mastered in The Color Purple is replaced here by a hit-you-over-the-head obsession with hippy dippy dogma about peace, meditation, and mushrooms.

Her 9/11 poems prove she's still as brilliant a thinker as ever, but as a whole this collection ap
Sufficient for those in dark places who need of some of Alice Walker's written comfort and assurance without the density of her novels.
There is something simply powerful about Alice Walker’s poetry. The ordinariness of many of the scenes depicted, make them all the more powerful for their relevance, their ability to be experienced directly, even with the strangers who are her friends.

Then, there is the ordinary language that helps digest the inexplicable, the incomprehensible that would take the life out of us, kill our thinking, our feeling.

These poems resuscitate. They remind of the life that is still there, pulsed out moment
It was nice to hear once again the voice of Alice Walker.
Ronald Wise
A collection of poetry which convincingly portrayed Walker as in a state of self-assured readiness to take on whatever her life had to offer. This book was published a year before her novel Now Is the Time to Open Your Heart, in which the female protagonist holds the same attitude. I found many of the poems to be inspirational toward maintaining a hopeful confidence in facing life's challenges. This book was added to my reading list, along with all her works, after reading her novel mentioned ab ...more
Melissa Mcdonald
Dec 06, 2012 Melissa Mcdonald marked it as to-read
Shelves: poetry
Walker's poems have long been her warmest, least artful utterances, invoking the solidarity and the compassion she invites her readers to feel: this thick book of short-lined poems extends those goals, exploring and praising friendship, romantic love, home cooking, the peace movement, ancestors, ethnic diversity and particularly admirable strong women, among them the primatologist Jane Goodall.
I read this twice, to form a more sure impression as poetry often slips by when not spoken and savored. On my second reading I found more lines to love but also more I did not care to read again. Some of the themes (divorce, love, war) simply didn't resonate and others (sisters, elders, earth) seemed too familiar, as if I could read them before or again without noticing.
Kimberly Uhuru
Womanist and humanist in its sensibilities, it's a good book of poetry for when you want to be reminded of what sanity feels like.
I read this when it came out, but for some reason I took it off the shelf again and am re-reading. It's poetry, and quick-read poetry at that, so it's like an interlude until I chose my next novel.

Feb 5: Not my favorite Walker book. Only two of the poems really stood out for me. The better of these was "Grace."
I loved this book of poems written out of feelings and thoughts the author experienced after the World Trade Center bombing. The other ongoing theme is strength in the human spirit as well as the humanity we share while we age both gracefully and without regret.
Maughn Gregory
I love Alice Walker the poet for the way she speaks so directly about justice- and love-oriented connection to land, animals, cultures and individual human beings; but many of these poems were too sentimental and superficial to reach very deep.
Kathleen O'Neal
I read this book of poetry as part of a project I undertook for an AP English class I took during my senior year of high school. While I did not find it as compelling as the fiction of Walker's that I have read, I nonetheless enjoyed it.
Sydney Young
What a lovely, lovely book. I've always loved Alice Walker for "The Color Purple" and am glad to know what a poet she is.

More of my thoughts here --
This was the first book of Walker's poems that I read and I really enjoyed it. The poetry was fairly straight-forward and honest, but I really appreciated her perspective on life, love, war, writing, etc.
Adrienne Stapleton
Simple, beautiful, clear, and light. I have always loved Walker's impassioned prose, but love her poetry for just the opposite reason. It is beautiful and spare and rejoices in the small things.
I bought this book for two reasons: 1) I am a fan of Walker's prose; 2)I fell in love with her poem entitled "The Tree". After reading her poetry, I'll stick with her prose.
  • The Collected Poetry, 1968-1998
  • breaking poems
  • The Moments, the Minutes, the Hours: The Poetry of Jill Scott
  • Poems
  • To Be Real: Telling the Truth and Changing the Face of Feminism
  • Cries of the Spirit: More Than 300 Poems in Celebration of Women's Spirituality
  • Shake Loose My Skin: New and Selected Poems
  • Shifting: The Double Lives of Black Women in America
  • If I Had My Life to Live Over
  • The Marvelous Arithmetics of Distance: Poems, 1987-1992
  • The Purity of Desire: 100 Poems of Rumi
  • Blood Dazzler
  • Consensual Genocide
  • Middle Earth: Poems
Alice Walker (b. 1944), one of the United States’ preeminent writers, is an award-winning author of novels, stories, essays, and poetry. In 1983, Walker became the first African-American woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for fiction with her novel The Color Purple, which also won the National Book Award. Her other books include The Third Life of Grange Copeland, Meridian, The Temple of My Familiar, an ...more
More about Alice Walker...
The Color Purple The Temple of My Familiar Possessing the Secret of Joy In Search of Our Mothers' Gardens: Womanist Prose Meridian