Start by marking “Swing Otto Swing!” as Want to Read:
Swing Otto Swing!

Swing Otto Swing! (Otto)

Otto wants to be able to swing in the jungle like his monkey friends. But he keeps crashing. Then Otto comes up with an idea that will have everyone swinging!Recognizing Words

-Word repetition

Reading Independently

-More-complex stories

-Varied sentence structure

-Pa
Published September 27th 2005 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published May 4th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Swing Otto Swing!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swing Otto Swing!

Brad
Jun 13, 2009 Brad rated it it was amazing
Of all the books we've used to teach our kids to read the Otto & Pip books by David Milgrim are my favourite early reader books.

They teach fine lessons about perseverance and kindness without beating the children over the head with baseball bat moralizing; they use simple words and repetition to increase young reader confidence; they introduce slightly harder words to help children sound words out; and they are playful enough to keep kids motivated.

Of them all, Swing Otto Swing is my person
Miloš & Brontë
Brontë: I loved it, and I kind of hated it.

Papa: Why Brontë?

Brontë: Well...it's just because I remember when I was getting mad, so I thought it would be good if I said like that because if I get mad I hated it but kind of loved it by the end.

Papa: What was your favourite part?

Brontë: When poor Otto hurt his thingee. That was a sad thing for poor Otto. And the next one was that I like Flip and Flop. They're nice. And I really like when he kept trying again. And he's working hard; I know that. An
Amy
Nov 30, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
This early reader, of the same ilk as the Dick and Jane books, is surprisingly funny given the economy and repetitiveness of the words. This is an obvious choice for preschool or kindergarten kids, or for kids just starting to learn to read.

My nephew picked this one off the library shelf tonight, and he was quite pleasantly surprised with it. He laughed through the book, and asked me to read it to him again.

**UPDATE** My nephew had me read this book to him yet again over the weekend, and this
Amanda
Oct 13, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it

Swing Otto Swing is a book that is an easy reader for young students. This book is written with repetitive text and has a really nice flow to it. The characters are monkeys and a robot name Otto that is trying to swing like the monkeys. The pictures were simple, yet emotions were clearly understood through them. There was a really positive attitude within the book and the characters were really very motivated. This book is a great way to introduce science fiction to students that they can read t
Rita Webb
May 12, 2009 Rita Webb rated it it was amazing
I love these early readers, written for those who only have a few words in their reading vocabulary. Much like the "See Jane run" stories, these books are very simple, but the main character is a robot from outerspace who crash landed on earth when he ran out of gas. Now he befriends the animals of the jungle.

Otto tries to swing with his monkey friends Flip and Flop, but he just can't keep a hold of the vine. He crashes every time. His monkey friends give him lessons, but he still doesn't learn.
Molly
Aug 12, 2010 Molly rated it really liked it
Early Readers are either really bad or really good, this one is good! The whole Otto series is very humorous and engaging, requiring children to read not only the simple text, but to interpret the pictures as well.
Heather
Dec 13, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Beginning readers
Our 4-year-old daughter loves the Adventure of Otto series. We have only read this book a few times and she is already beginning to catch onto "see" and knows "otto" on sight. A great sight word series for preschoolers beginning to learn small words on sight.
Cindy Mitchell
Milgrim, David. The Adventures of Otto: Swing, Otto, Swing!, PICTURE. Simon Spotlight, 2016. $3.99.

Otto the robot wants to swing on vines just like his monkey friends. But, he is much too heavy and keeps snapping the vines from the tree and even when the monkeys try to give him instructions on how to swing, it just doesn’t work. So, Otto thinks of an alternative and builds himself a nice, sturdy swing set.

This is an leveled early reader. The text is sparse and simple, with a basic premise and
Now that I've read three of these in a row I can say that they're very repetitive with simple words and easy plots.
Jessica
Oct 15, 2010 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Swing Otto Swing! is a Learn-to-Read book targeted for children at the Pre- Level 1 reading stage. Each page has six or fewer words, to help young readers build their fluency and comprehension skills. Otto is a robot who was watching two monkeys named Flip and Flop swing on vines in the forest one day. Otto was interested in swinging, too. He tried to copy Flip and Flop’s actions, but to no avail. Flip, being a good friend, offered Otto some tips. Otto gave it another try, but fell down once aga ...more
595AJ__Margaret
Feb 12, 2011 595AJ__Margaret rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Swing Otto Swing, by David Milgrim, is the fourth book in a Ready-to-Read series about an adventurous robot named, Otto. In this story, with the help...moreSwing Otto Swing, by David Milgrim, is the fourth book in a Ready-to-Read series about an adventurous robot named, Otto. In this story, with the help and encouragement from his two monkey friends, Otto tries to learn to swing from tree vines in the jungle. Despite Otto’s repeated efforts, he falls again and again. However, Otto is persistent ...more
Asho
Feb 16, 2016 Asho rated it really liked it
Despite having zero interest in learning to read on his own (yet) and only passing interest in learning his letters and their sounds, my almost-four-year-old has started occasionally picking out early reader books at the library. I have to admit that sometimes I give a little inward groan when he does that because they aren't always the most fun books to read aloud. This one was great, though. Both of us were laughing at poor Otto as he tried to swing again and again. Seb only wanted to read it ...more
Josephine
This was our first Otto book. It got us hooked. Audrey loves Otto and gets so excited every time we check one out from the library. The Otto books are funny for parents, almost making fun of the Dick and Jane books, and funny for kids too. The Otto books, and the Elephant and Piggie series by Mo Willems are what got Audrey to really start reading and loving it. I'm glad I discovered them and stopped checking out the Bob books!
Edward Creter
It don't mean a thing if you ain't got that swing...which our beloved robot friend Otto of the Jungle has just found out to his mechanical peril. He tries to swing on vines like Tarzan. He's not having much success. So once again it's up to the animals of Africa to teach him to swing it. A simple yet fun read in the See Spot Run tradition, which older readers may find hard to swallow, but younger kids should have fun.
Sweet's Family Bookshelves
Short, easy book. Great for beginning readers. Gave my little reader an easy repetitive book to read.

I'm sure there was a moral to the story about how if we keep trying we will get it in the end. But really my girls found it more funny to laugh at the robot when he fell or at the monkey standing on the fallen robot.

Apr 28, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
A great first-reader. Few words, repetition and simple phonics combined with engaging illustrations makes these books a winner for a child's first foray into reading. The humorous but sparsely worded story leaves a lot of room for parents to engage with additional commentary to track a child's comprehension. A favorite!
Samantha
A beginning reader book in which a robot named Otto tries to swing from tree to tree just like Flip and Flop, his monkey friends.

Text is short and repeats a lot allowing readers a chance to practice and gain confidence in their skills. Humor is introduced in digital artwork and the story builds to a funny, inventive close.

Highly recommended for PreK-2.
Jason
Robots and monkeys do seem to go well together, don't they? And I'm not sure what the problem was with Otto. Was he not able to get a good grip on the vine, or what? He's a robot, so strength shouldn't be an issue. Maybe his hands are not so well designed...I wonder what he's doing in the jungle, anyway...
Robert
Apr 28, 2014 Robert rated it it was amazing
This book is a perfect example of the way art can carry a story. If you were to look at just the text, it would be nothing but a very simple reader. But the illustrations bring a humor and character out of the story that make it a 5 star book.
Vanessa Wilder
Apr 21, 2015 Vanessa Wilder rated it really liked it
Shelves: 50-outside-books
Cite words that are more repetitive. Also there are words that are repeated within the book. This book is tons of fun for there are plenty of pictures that will engage. This book just may make the children want to swing!

Act: Point out the cite words they see
Mary Ann
Oct 30, 2009 Mary Ann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, kindergarten, 1st
a great early reader, with only 2 or 3 words per page. I enjoyed the humor and the way the story carried you through the book. Plus, what a clever little robot, realizing that robots can't swing on vines like monkeys - so he built himself a wooden playground swing!
The Book Box
Dec 04, 2016 The Book Box added it
Shelves: library
Mama read this to me the other night. I love robots so I loved Otto!
Rebecca
Apr 13, 2016 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: early-readers
These amazing early readers about Otto the robot rival Elephant and Piggy in my book with simple texts, fun illustrations and repeating ideas. Great additions to your collection!
Rachel Burt
I loved this book! Adorable drawings and funny story about a robot named Otto trying to swing from the trees like his monkey friends.
Brian
Mar 13, 2013 Brian rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids
Ian's reading these all by himself now :-)
Eric
May 02, 2009 Eric rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
This and the other Otto books are perfect for the very earliest readers: simple words, repetitive use of words, and, most importantly, funny. Swing Otto Swing! was my oldest's first read.
jacky
Apr 24, 2014 jacky rated it liked it
Shelves: lib-aub, early-reader
Icky primer structure, but cute illustrations and William liked the story.
Holly
Mar 12, 2014 Holly rated it really liked it
Shelves: carson-s
Carson read really well with this book!
Jillian Heise
Early (pre-level 1) reader. I did laugh at the story, and appreciated the ingenuity of Otto at the end. I think young children learning to read would like this book.
Tricia
Feb 19, 2010 Tricia rated it really liked it
Great repetition and slight variances in this pre-level 1 easy reader add to the humorous story about a robot learning to swing from the vines with his monkey friends.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »