The Art of Innovation
Subtitled: Lessons in Creativity from IDEO, America's Leading Design Firm
IDEO, the widely admired, award-winning design and development firm that brought the world the Apple mouse, Polaroid's I-Zone instant camera, the Palm V, and hundreds of other cutting edge products, reveals its secret for fostering innovative, out-of-the-box thinking across the world of business.
The first 2 phases of understanding / empathizing as well as defining the problem and key needs of the user are crucial, I learned. Re...more
With fun anecdotes such as reinventing the shopping car and the sand hill challenge, the book is a easy, entertaining read.
The insights I took away are as followed:
1) Innovation can be practiced and cultivated
2) Prototype and seek feedback as soon as possible
3) Its all about observations and point of view, look and learn from your surroundings, a different profession and most importantly y...more
I had become...more
Includes information on brainstorming, teams and prototyping. Totally cool book with practical easy to implement ideas. Also, it turned my thinking on teams around as the author devotes time to discussing their “hot teams” approach and how the myth of the lone inventor is a just that a myth. I didn’t realize Edison had a team of people who worked with him, but he did and they all collaborated to come up with some of his patents.
So very i...more
* Watch customers -- and non-customers -- especially enthusiasts.
* Play with your physical workplace in a way that sends positive "body language" to employees and visitors.
* Think "verbs" not "nouns," in your product and service offerings...more
Even if you don't like business books, this is another book that you will enjoy. The examples of IDEO projects make this a VERY fun read. These are the guys who brought to you thinks like easy to grip tooth brush handles and ... and ... well a good portion of the items you love in your household.
This book will inspire you to jump out of your old rut and begin pushing yourself beyond what you thought capable. Only if we could all implement these concepts (and create a work envi...more
It should be required reading at technical schools.
Still, I did take away quite a few notes, that seem to influence my thinking in general, almost right away.
- I feel like I became more observant, things around me offer more opportunities
- I like the idea of "everything can be improved", and it gives me a fresh look
- Prototype early, prototype often
- So many different way...more
Hahaha, but still fine to dig the idea and innovation tips from daily kife
How to create creative group, select the leader and continue improving all members performance
Worth reading a bit