Start by marking “Conan : die Original-Erzählungen aus den Jahren 1932 und 1933” as Want to Read:
Conan : die Original-Erzählungen aus den Jahren 1932 und 1933

Conan : die Original-Erzählungen aus den Jahren 1932 und 1933

Complete Conan of Cimmeria
Mit einem Vorw. von Wolfgang Hohlbein und Ill. von Mark Schultz.
Paperback, German Edition, 768 pages
Published 2003 by Heyne (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Conan , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conan

The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
The Best Fantasy Books
214th out of 1,409 books — 969 voters
The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienLallapaloosa by Rags DanielsThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanLiberty or Death by David        Cook
Heroes & Adventures
73rd out of 445 books — 221 voters

More lists with this book...

Paul Barrett
Jun 26, 2008 Paul Barrett rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anybody that likes fantasy
Recommended to Paul by: my babysitter
Shelves: fantasy, classic
I was in 8th grade and I really hated reading and just couldn't get the point or what the pleasure of it could be. My babysitter new I was upset about many personal things in my life and she bought me a copy of Conan. It was just the escapism that I needed and threw me off into Conan's world where I could imagine myself in following in Conan's footsteps. It was the perfect read for me at that point in my life. Before the summer was out I had read probably the first eight books of the series and ...more
Kayefex
Mar 23, 2008 Kayefex rated it liked it
Honestly, the writing in these books is not great. I lost track of how many times the same modifier was used within a couple sentences. Conan's muscles are never muscles, they are *always* thews. His speed is always panther-like. His eyes are possibly the only blue eyes that have ever existed that are "volcanic" blue rather than ice blue. The women, of whatever race, are always supple, slender, lithe. There are a lot of she-panthers.

However, this is actually a good thing. You can reread these no
Lance
Aug 18, 2008 Lance rated it really liked it
Read this series in high school. I had a welding class with a friend who owned most of the books. He'd lend them to me and we'd discuss them while working on our projects together. It was the first fantasy I liked after reading The Lord of the Rings about 3 years before. Edited by L. Sprague De Camp at the request of "The Heirs of the Robert E. Howard Estate." It's doubtful that those who decry De Camp's efforts would have ever heard of Conan otherwise, unless they were alive when the original s ...more
Jack
Apr 23, 2008 Jack rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: my sons
Recommended to Jack by: Robert E. Howard
I met Conan in the mid 1960's. The series was being republished and I had never heard of Robert Howard or this dark, brooding giant.

By the way, I was in college when I began reading the Conan stories. If you remember your history, college in the mid '60's was all about hippies , marches against the Vietnam War, getting high, "make love, not war", sticking it to the MAN. Power to the people!

My friends really didn't understand. They still don't 40 years later.

Joseph
May 05, 2009 Joseph rated it it was amazing
This was the first fantasy book I ever actually finished (I was probably in 5th or 6th grade). It is a collection of short stories that details the early life of Conan following his enslavement through his days as a young thief and then into his days as a mercenary. This book changed my life and opened my eyes to how much fun a book could actually be. If you like fantasy you will love this book!
Rob
Apr 25, 2009 Rob rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, definitive
If you're worried about being politically correct, respectful, non-steroetyping, etc., avoid Howard: he'll definitely trouble you, sooner or later. If you want meaningful discourse, the same. Howard was not interested in the later, as far as his fiction went, and unaware of the former.

Howard was a teller of tales, a spinner of yarns, the sort who at one time sat by a fire and held his audience in sway for hours on end, not to educate or enlighten them, but to entertain them with exciting tales o
Christopher
Apr 07, 2010 Christopher rated it it was amazing
Yeeeahhhhh, I know what you're thinking... Ahnold wrote a book?

I was up really late watching channel 88, or 87, or 78 and Ahnold was hacking'n'slashing a bunch of guys in rubber armor and I was thinking to myself, "wonder where this story was lifted from, 'Lord of the Rings?'"

Actually, my first thought was, "I wish the bad guys wore NY Yankees little league uniforms, flourescent pink batting-cage helmets, and wiffle bats." Could you imagine an army of little leaguers from the Bronx battlin' Ahno
agata
Aug 31, 2015 agata rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, szafa
Ein schüchterner Texaner schreibt in den USA der 30er Jahre Pulp-Geschichten über einen naiven, muskelbepackten Barbaren.

Verglichen mit den heutigen Größen der Fantasy war mir Conan einfach gestrickt - geradezu platt. In eine Welt gesetzt, die ihm immer fremd ist und die er nie begreift, begegnet er allen Problemen auf genau eine Art: mit dem Kopf durch die Wand. Ein Barbar halt.

Von der Einfachheit der Figur und der Erzählfäden sollte man sich aber nicht in die Irre leiten lassen.

Conan hat mich
Peregrine 12
Dec 10, 2010 Peregrine 12 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like BIG action and little distraction
Recommended to Peregrine 12 by: Conan himself.
CONAN CONAN CONAN! You get what you pay for: if you want stories that start off with action, have lots of swordplay, and don't waste any time on deeper symbolic meanings (or introspective dialog), then this is the one for you. Howard created something special when he wrote these pulp-fiction adventure stories.
Bob
Oct 30, 2007 Bob rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Robert Howard is a magnificent story teller. As a man who makes his living riding a computer terminal, and eats meat that's been butchered on a farm somewhere, at some viceral level I long for an earlier more viceral existence. No one provides this fantasy better than Howard. Conan is everthing I wish I was.
Shelly
Jun 17, 2007 Shelly rated it it was amazing
I have all the Conan books. I started reading them in High School and they still hold great memories for me. When I first read them, I could not imagine how the books could be made into movies! No special effects like they have now!
Eric
Oct 08, 2007 Eric rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: you
I liked these stories and conan. He was strong and powerful while I was weak and cowardly. Now I am stronger than Conan and I make him use his sword to cut my raviolis open so the chesse will mix with the sauce.
John Devlin
Jun 04, 2007 John Devlin rated it liked it
The master of Sword and Sorcery. Great stories that scare and delight; a hero, who's strength and cunning go unrivaled, and a good dollop of other-world building that make all Conan's novels great reads.
Devon  Start
Jul 18, 2008 Devon Start rated it really liked it
Shelves: pulp-novels
i read this so long ago, i have read it a million times since the first time. i must have been about 10 when i found this on my dads shelves
Kham
Jan 11, 2008 Kham rated it really liked it
First book of the Conan series rocks. After this one, the guy just gets too darn tough\lucky and it's no longer interesting or believable.
Heather McCorkle
Oct 02, 2010 Heather McCorkle rated it really liked it
I loved the Conan novels. They are the first fantasy novels I read as a teen and they are what made me want to write.
Valerie
Feb 22, 2010 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: conan
The first in the series - you can see where pieces of the movie "Conan the Barbarian" were taken from.
Jeremiah Jones
Oct 15, 2007 Jeremiah Jones rated it liked it
Good ol' Mrs. Furstenthal would have called this "bubble-gum for the brain."

At least it was a fun chew.
Victor
Jul 24, 2007 Victor rated it it was amazing
Lovecraft was a fan, as anyone who has read these novelas ought to be.
Ron
Oct 20, 2008 Ron rated it it was amazing
The inception of sword and sorcery / fantasy genre. Great stuff.
David
Dec 06, 2007 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Swords and sorcery, Lovecraft style.
Brendan  McAuliffe
Aug 28, 2007 Brendan McAuliffe rated it it was ok
Read most of these
Jaerven
Jaerven rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Petar Velchev
Petar Velchev rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2016
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
mike
mike rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Michael Grogan
Michael Grogan marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
ROBUST: Conan the Barbarian 12 20 Oct 03, 2011 04:05AM
  • Conan of Aquilonia (Book 11)
  • Conan the Triumphant (Conan, #4)
  • Conan: Road of Kings
  • The Elric Saga Part I (Elric Saga, #1-3)
  • Conan the Defiant
  • The Savage Sword of Conan, Volume 1
  • Conan the Valorous
  • Weird Tales: 32 Unearthed Terrors
  • Conan the Rebel
  • Shadows
  • Hadon of Ancient Opar
Robert Ervin Howard was an American pulp writer of fantasy, horror, historical adventure, boxing, western, and detective fiction. Howard wrote "over three-hundred stories and seven-hundred poems of raw power and unbridled emotion" and is especially noted for his memorable depictions of "a sombre universe of swashbuckling adventure and darkling horror."

He is well known for having created — in the p
More about Robert E. Howard...

“Lift that scimitar against me, you Hyrkanian pig and I'll gut you where you stand!” 6 likes