Start by marking “Conan : die Original-Erzählungen aus den Jahren 1932 und 1933” as Want to Read:
Conan : die Original-Erzählungen aus den Jahren 1932 und 1933

Conan : die Original-Erzählungen aus den Jahren 1932 und 1933

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  698 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Complete Conan of Cimmeria
Mit einem Vorw. von Wolfgang Hohlbein und Ill. von Mark Schultz.
Paperback, German Edition, 768 pages
Published 2003 by Heyne (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Conan , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conan

The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
The Best Fantasy Books
191st out of 1,280 books — 878 voters
1984 by George OrwellAnimal Farm by George OrwellSlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
Essential Man's Library
52nd out of 287 books — 120 voters

More lists with this book...

Paul Barrett
Jun 26, 2008 Paul Barrett rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anybody that likes fantasy
Recommended to Paul by: my babysitter
Shelves: fantasy, classic
I was in 8th grade and I really hated reading and just couldn't get the point or what the pleasure of it could be. My babysitter new I was upset about many personal things in my life and she bought me a copy of Conan. It was just the escapism that I needed and threw me off into Conan's world where I could imagine myself in following in Conan's footsteps. It was the perfect read for me at that point in my life. Before the summer was out I had read probably the first eight books of the series and ...more
Kayefex
Honestly, the writing in these books is not great. I lost track of how many times the same modifier was used within a couple sentences. Conan's muscles are never muscles, they are *always* thews. His speed is always panther-like. His eyes are possibly the only blue eyes that have ever existed that are "volcanic" blue rather than ice blue. The women, of whatever race, are always supple, slender, lithe. There are a lot of she-panthers.

However, this is actually a good thing. You can reread these no
Lance
Read this series in high school. I had a welding class with a friend who owned most of the books. He'd lend them to me and we'd discuss them while working on our projects together. It was the first fantasy I liked after reading The Lord of the Rings about 3 years before. Edited by L. Sprague De Camp at the request of "The Heirs of the Robert E. Howard Estate." It's doubtful that those who decry De Camp's efforts would have ever heard of Conan otherwise, unless they were alive when the original s ...more
Jack
Apr 23, 2008 Jack rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: my sons
Recommended to Jack by: Robert E. Howard
I met Conan in the mid 1960's. The series was being republished and I had never heard of Robert Howard or this dark, brooding giant.

By the way, I was in college when I began reading the Conan stories. If you remember your history, college in the mid '60's was all about hippies , marches against the Vietnam War, getting high, "make love, not war", sticking it to the MAN. Power to the people!

My friends really didn't understand. They still don't 40 years later.

Joseph
This was the first fantasy book I ever actually finished (I was probably in 5th or 6th grade). It is a collection of short stories that details the early life of Conan following his enslavement through his days as a young thief and then into his days as a mercenary. This book changed my life and opened my eyes to how much fun a book could actually be. If you like fantasy you will love this book!
Rob
If you're worried about being politically correct, respectful, non-steroetyping, etc., avoid Howard: he'll definitely trouble you, sooner or later. If you want meaningful discourse, the same. Howard was not interested in the later, as far as his fiction went, and unaware of the former.

Howard was a teller of tales, a spinner of yarns, the sort who at one time sat by a fire and held his audience in sway for hours on end, not to educate or enlighten them, but to entertain them with exciting tales o
Christopher
Yeeeahhhhh, I know what you're thinking... Ahnold wrote a book?

I was up really late watching channel 88, or 87, or 78 and Ahnold was hacking'n'slashing a bunch of guys in rubber armor and I was thinking to myself, "wonder where this story was lifted from, 'Lord of the Rings?'"

Actually, my first thought was, "I wish the bad guys wore NY Yankees little league uniforms, flourescent pink batting-cage helmets, and wiffle bats." Could you imagine an army of little leaguers from the Bronx battlin' Ahno
agata
Ein schüchterner Texaner schreibt in den USA der 30er Jahre Pulp-Geschichten über einen naiven, muskelbepackten Barbaren.

Verglichen mit den heutigen Größen der Fantasy war mir Conan einfach gestrickt - geradezu platt. In eine Welt gesetzt, die ihm immer fremd ist und die er nie begreift, begegnet er allen Problemen auf genau eine Art: mit dem Kopf durch die Wand. Ein Barbar halt.

Von der Einfachheit der Figur und der Erzählfäden sollte man sich aber nicht in die Irre leiten lassen.

Conan hat mich
Peregrine 12
Dec 10, 2010 Peregrine 12 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like BIG action and little distraction
Recommended to Peregrine 12 by: Conan himself.
CONAN CONAN CONAN! You get what you pay for: if you want stories that start off with action, have lots of swordplay, and don't waste any time on deeper symbolic meanings (or introspective dialog), then this is the one for you. Howard created something special when he wrote these pulp-fiction adventure stories.
Bob
Oct 30, 2007 Bob rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
Robert Howard is a magnificent story teller. As a man who makes his living riding a computer terminal, and eats meat that's been butchered on a farm somewhere, at some viceral level I long for an earlier more viceral existence. No one provides this fantasy better than Howard. Conan is everthing I wish I was.
Shelly
I have all the Conan books. I started reading them in High School and they still hold great memories for me. When I first read them, I could not imagine how the books could be made into movies! No special effects like they have now!
Eric
Oct 08, 2007 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: you
I liked these stories and conan. He was strong and powerful while I was weak and cowardly. Now I am stronger than Conan and I make him use his sword to cut my raviolis open so the chesse will mix with the sauce.
Dev
The master of Sword and Sorcery. Great stories that scare and delight; a hero, who's strength and cunning go unrivaled, and a good dollop of other-world building that make all Conan's novels great reads.
Devon  Start
i read this so long ago, i have read it a million times since the first time. i must have been about 10 when i found this on my dads shelves
Kham
First book of the Conan series rocks. After this one, the guy just gets too darn tough\lucky and it's no longer interesting or believable.
Heather McCorkle
I loved the Conan novels. They are the first fantasy novels I read as a teen and they are what made me want to write.
Valerie
The first in the series - you can see where pieces of the movie "Conan the Barbarian" were taken from.
Jeremiah Jones
Good ol' Mrs. Furstenthal would have called this "bubble-gum for the brain."

At least it was a fun chew.
Victor
Lovecraft was a fan, as anyone who has read these novelas ought to be.
Ron
The inception of sword and sorcery / fantasy genre. Great stuff.
David
Swords and sorcery, Lovecraft style.
BakuDreamer
Read most of these
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Maxi
Maxi is currently reading it
Dec 04, 2014
Trucidar
Trucidar marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Mike Moore
Mike Moore marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Dennis
Dennis marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Claymon
Claymon marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
ROBUST: Conan the Barbarian 12 20 Oct 03, 2011 04:05AM
  • Conan of Aquilonia (Book 11)
  • Conan the Triumphant (Conan, #4)
  • Conan: Road of Kings
  • The Elric Saga Part I (Elric Saga, #1-3)
  • Conan the Defiant
  • Conan the Rebel
  • The Fourth Eye
  • Hadon of Ancient Opar
  • Conan: Sword of Skelos
Robert Ervin Howard was an American pulp writer of fantasy, horror, historical adventure, boxing, western, and detective fiction. Howard wrote "over three-hundred stories and seven-hundred poems of raw power and unbridled emotion" and is especially noted for his memorable depictions of "a sombre universe of swashbuckling adventure and darkling horror."

He is well known for having created — in the p
More about Robert E. Howard...
The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian (Conan the Cimmerian, #1) The Conquering Sword of Conan (Conan the Cimmerian, #3) Conan of Cimmeria (Conan 2) The Bloody Crown of Conan (Conan the Cimmerian, #2) The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane

“Lift that scimitar against me, you Hyrkanian pig and I'll gut you where you stand!” 5 likes