The Wrinkle in Time Quintet - Digest Size Boxed Set (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #1-5)

The Wrinkle in Time Quintet - Digest Size Boxed Set (A Wrinkle In Time Quintet #1-5)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  914 ratings  ·  56 reviews
The Time Quintet consists of A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, Many Waters, and An Acceptable Time. The digest box set features the art of Taeeun Yoo.

A Wrinkle in Time is one of the most significant novels of our time. This fabulous, ground-breaking science-fiction and fantasy story is the first of five in the Time Quintet series about the Mu...more
Published October 2nd 2007 by Square Fish (first published 1962)

Be the first to ask a question about The Wrinkle in Time Quintet - Digest Size Boxed Set

Smokey
This "sort-of" science fiction series (the author herself is no fan of the genre) centers on the Murray family, who live in New England in the latter half of the 20th century. Everyone in the family is a unique, gifted individual, but all the stories focus primarily upon the children and their reactions to outlandish events involving time and space.

The books blend elements of religion, myth, legend and history, but mainly focus on how each of the children in the stories are forced to rely on the...more
Theresa
a great series of books

wrinkle in time: "an epic story of adventure, for the plain and the simple child.. i read it in fourth grade, and so is my daughter.... so we are re reading it together. it teaches children about Propaganda and its miss use"
Wind In the Door Way: How megan and Charles were able to save a magical world from distruction.
Swiftly tilting planet: the story of Charles and how a poem allows him to learn a process to save the world.
Many waters : The twin brothers have an adventure...more
Simone Adele
I find the Time Quintet to be a wonderful, attention drawing series. At times, I felt as though the action was a little slow, but the results make up for it. I was sticking my face into these books and never coming out until I had read the book cover to cover. Definitely a bunch of good reads.
Shelby Letner
The first three books are amazing. The fourth is, too, once you get over the character shift. The fifth is much better if you've read all of the Austin family books as well so you will know Polly and Zachary. Otherwise you won't care about the story.
Abby
I will always be grateful to A Swiftly Tilting Planet to getting me in to L'Engle--I don't know what made me want to reread it suddenly, but then I had to do all five!
Rena
Listened to this set on audiobooks downloaded from iTunes. Only reason I gave it 4 instead of 5 was not appreciating the prolific biblical overtures. I'd forgotten how much was in these books. Funny how the author who wrote the "the golden compass" got blasted for atheist stuff, but the children's books full of Christian mythology are left alone. Im open minded about all belief systems, so I'm not affected but in these books I felt it detracted rather than added to the beauty of the stories.
Chaylee DeVore
summary: A families father goes out one day and never returns. Two kids of the family and one of there friends from school goes with lady to go find there father. They travel to a new world. When they find there father there is a guy that can trick your mind. The kids and their father have a very difficult time getting out. They have to remember to not fall in the guys mind trap.

Comparison: I like the movie more because it is less boring. All the characters names are the same. There are a lot...more
Jonathan
A Wrinkle in Time is good, beginner scifi. A bit heavy on the anti-communism theme, perhaps, but a good start. Unfortunately the other books in this "series" are a disappointment.

A Wind in the Door is a worthy sequel, but the science is very shaky. The plot is continued, however. The same can't be said of the remainder of the books.

A Swiftly Tilting Planet starts the decline, as the multiple time periods with similarly named characters are more confusing than necessary. Many Waters takes the Chr...more
Nicole
May 05, 2014 Nicole marked it as to-read
Wrinkle in Time- love Meg, love Charles Wallace, love Calvin. Love them all. This one felt like a good blend of adventure/action and emotion/character development.

Wind in the Door- less in love with this one, likely because of the religious overtones.
Renae
Apr 18, 2010 Renae is currently reading it
I bought this set as a birthday gift to myself ... now that I'm a grown-up, I can do that sort of thing, right? "A Wrinkle in Time" was one of those books that I tried several times to read as a kid but never "got it" enough to make it to the end. This week, I succeeded. Must be the cover art and snazzy box set.

The anti-communist theme in Book 1 is dated, but the social angst theme is timeless. Meg Murry could be my 11-year-old daughter, who has read this book several times and probably the othe...more
Natalie
Awesome sauce!
Andrea Dowd
This was better than C.S. Lewis but I'm not sure that I would have picked up this book as a child. Three misfit children who don't fit in on Earth magically travel into the universe to rescue two of the children's father and ultimately, defeat the Dark Planet thing that is creating chaos in the universe.

There are weird creatures, amazing abilities and lots of physics and theories to wrap your brain around. Interesting book but I'm not sure that I am interested enough to read the entire series.
Jenni
I loved this book when I was a kid. I was really looking forward to reading it as an adult, to see why I liked it so much as a kid. Reading these after Harry Potter was difficult because the story line was less engaging. I enjoyed reading it...it just seemed to take longer to get through the book than I wanted it to. I'll be reading the whole series and discussing it with my sister. :) She's reading them too and it was a gift from her.
Frances
The book was a little confusing at first, but forces you to use your imagination. Some parts just were not credible enough to be believable for an adult. I liked that the main character, who seems to be lacking so much in many areas, becomes the hero. I understand why the book is such a great kids story and I will probably use it in my classes.
Kitty
I had to consider for a bit before putting it on the "blow-your-mind-good" list. The first three DO blow my mind- the other two have a kind of forced air to them. However, whether you want to read it as a Christian allegory or as amazingly well thought out kid's sci fi, it's a good read.

Enjoy.
Tameca
This was one of my very favorite set of books growing up. I had always wanted to re-read them. During this last Christmas break, I was able to do just that! I am very happy for it, as well. I loved revisiting some of my favorite all-time characters in their travails through time.
Jill
Am on the 4th book of 5. The 3rd was kind of creepy with some of the same worries as we are facing today - crazy rulers out to destroy the world.
I am looking into getting her other box set of Meet the Austins. But please tell me why there are only 5 re-released and not the original 6?
Maggie
a re-read (from decades ago) because of the charles wallace reference in the Lost tv series ... classic children's literature is always a pleasure to read, imo. ... have read only the first three of these five books: wrinkle in time, wind at the door, swiftly tilting planet
Becca
Actually a little disappointing reading this as an adult. You gotta love L'Engle's bravery writing a blatant religious story for children, but at times the narrative feels rushed, unlinked, unexplained. Still, I will be reading the rest of the books in the series.
Katie
One of my favorite series of all time. These five books rank with Narnia and Lord of the Rings as among the best in fantasy literature. Ideal for readers who can sink into a book, suspend their disbelief, and let their imaginations fly beyond the stars.
Emily
Not quite as wonderful as I remembered, but a nostalgic reread is never in vain. Strangely, my rating of each book increased after I was finished compared with what I thought while I was reading. A Wrinkle In Time is still the best of the bunch.
Joseph
I read these books from third to about seventh grade. I remember that I thought they were very confusing, but I remember that I really liked the imaginative and creative stories... I really want to reread these!
Chantal
such a fantastic series. probably one of my most reread. very strange, but in such a delicious way that changes the way you look at literature. i cannot recommend these books enough, for anyone of any age.
Katheryne
Really, I hated these books. I actually stopped reading it because it was so cruddy, that I just couldn't take it anymore. The author put no romance, no suspense, no NOTHING!
Whitney
I love this book we had to read this book in 5th grade and I just loved it I read it again this year. I loved it even more this year. You just have to read this book.
Nisha Bhatia
This book is ok. However, the beginning was sort of confusing and boring to me. I did like some parts though, but overall i didn't feel like finishing the book.
Kara
Great, imaginative, sci-fi that is good for adults and kids. There are endless themes here to be discussed plus they are just a great, entertaining read.
Nicola-Jane
One of my all time favourites! Read the first book as a child, discovered the boxed set as an adult and have read it many times to myself and my kids.
Kathleen
Oct 26, 2010 Kathleen is currently reading it
Just finished re-reading A Wrinkle in Time. It brings back such good memories of reading as a child. I will start reading the series with CJ soon!
Mistake? 2 7 May 21, 2011 02:43PM
  • The Worlds of Lois Lowry Boxed Set
  • The Complete Adventures of the Borrowers
  • Tear Soup: A Recipe for Healing After Loss
  • Emerald City
  • Eight Spells a Week (Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, #17)
  • Son of Man
  • Once We Were Kings
  • Newsgirl
  • The Choice (Walk the Right Road, #1)
  • Lightning Tree
  • The Lost Island of Tamarind
  • Return to Gone-Away (Gone-Away Lake, #2)
  • The Rock of Ivanore (Celestine Chronicles, #1)
  • Undertow
  • The Chronicles of Prydain Boxed Set (The Chronicles of Prydain #1-5)
  • The Histories of Middle Earth, Volumes 1-5
  • Running Wide Open (Full Throttle, #1)
  • Caller ID
Madeleine L'Engle was an American writer best known for her Young Adult fiction, particularly the Newbery Medal-winning A Wrinkle in Time and its sequels A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, and Many Waters. Her works reflect her strong interest in modern science: tesseracts, for example, are featured prominently in A Wrinkle in Time, mitochondrial DNA in A Wind in the Door, organ regener...more
More about Madeleine L'Engle...
A Wrinkle in Time (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #1) A Wind in the Door (Time, #2) A Swiftly Tilting Planet (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #3) Many Waters (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #4) A Ring of Endless Light (Austin Family, #5)

“He’s nothing but a deformed emanation of energy.” 0 likes