Start by marking “The Art of Innovation: Lessons in Creativity from IDEO, America's Leading Design Firm” as Want to Read:

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,643 Ratings  ·  118 Reviews
IDEO, the widely admired, award-winning design and development firm that brought the world the Apple mouse, Polaroid's I-Zone instant camera, the Palm V, and hundreds of other cutting-edge products and services, reveals its secrets for fostering a culture and process of continuous innovation.

There isn't a business in America that doesn't want to be more creative in its thi
Published January 16th 2001 by Crown Business

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Innovation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Innovation

Steve Jobs by Walter IsaacsonThe Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesLosing My Virginity by Richard BransonSteve Jobs Bio by J.T. OwensOnward by Howard Schultz
Business Biographies and Memoirs
29th out of 106 books — 96 voters
The Artist's Way by Julia CameronFlow by Mihaly CsikszentmihalyiCreativity by Mihaly CsikszentmihalyiA Whack on the Side of the Head by Roger Von OechIncreasing Intuitional Intelligence by Martha Char Love
Books on Creativity
51st out of 72 books — 74 voters

More lists with this book...

Ron Banister
Dec 19, 2012 Ron Banister rated it liked it
Great insight into the creative process. Updates to follow...
Budi Rahardjo
Feb 14, 2014 Budi Rahardjo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, technology
I had this book for a long time and had not had a chance to read it until I saw a talk on IDEO. Watched the story about them on ABC News, through YouTube. Then, I decided to read the book.

It's a wonderful book. Straight to the point. The kind of writing I like. I am a busy person and I appreciate things like this. Maybe I like it because I already watched the story. But then again, there are books that are boring to read - even if you've heard about them.

This book is worth of my time! Recommende
Iftekhar Alam Himel
May 25, 2014 Iftekhar Alam Himel rated it liked it
Too many words, too few ideas.

I value a non-fiction work on its steep learning curve, proper data & facts and precise construction. I cannot say that the book performed very well in all criteria.

The book does offer good insights into product development & pave ways into creative process. But the construction could have been more organized. Well you can forgive that for a first book & the fact that it is about “creative process”.

It does lack insights driven by proper data/facts. All
Wage
Nov 30, 2009 Wage rated it really liked it
Mungkin kita belum sering mendengar IDEO, tidak seterkenal Microsoft atau Google. Padahal firma desain yang didirikan 37 tahun yang lalu di Palo Alto California ini sudah banyak terlibat dalam proses desain produk yang mungkin produknya sudah kita kenal bahkan pernah kita pakai. Sebut saja mouse pertama untuk komputer Apple Lisa dan Macintosh, digital organizer Palm V, Handspring, phone cell cerdas Treo, Monitor Sync Master SAMSUNG, alat pacu jantung, inkubator tempat penyimpanan ginjal, kamera ...more
David Glad
Although the version of the audiobook hinted at being late 90s and hugely dot-com, it was nonetheless a pretty good book. (Too bad palm pilots and digital assistants are also known as smart phones now, which also means the centralized nature of it as a consequence will be that device failure will rip you from your world. Luckily cloud computing -- not yet fully evil -- and other off-site storage of your data will mean you probably will not lose anything in the event of such failure.)

I had become
Frank
Oct 23, 2013 Frank rated it it was amazing
It was an interesting course on design thinking https://novoed.com/designthinking as well as this post by Paul Sloane http://www.destination-innovation.com... that brought me on to this book. At the start of the book, I was introduced to the design thinking process which was also a key aspect of the design thinking course that I participated in earlier this year.

The first 2 phases of understanding / empathizing as well as defining the problem and key needs of the user are crucial, I learned. Re
Duc
May 02, 2007 Duc rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-best
Earlier I happen upon 'Ten Faces of Innovation' on Levenger's website. My local library didn't have this particular book yet. So I decided to check out it's predecessor: 'The Art of Innovation'. This book open my eyes to things, my work place, my everyday experience and interactions with products. I read this yesterday and Saturday and couldn't put it down. I took lots of notes on my CircaToma notebook of course and began making lists of things that bug me. IDEO call it a 'Bug List'. I called my ...more
Jill
Nov 16, 2008 Jill rated it liked it
The Art of Innovation got a mention in Jeffrey Pfeffer's "What Were They Thinking", and I was intrigued by the story of a design consultancy that was behind such eclectic and diverse projects such as the Apple mouse, Oral B's Squish Grip brushes, the Palm V and Amtrak's Acela service. The book opens promisingly enough with an anecdote about the Deep Dive - ABC's Nightline challenge to IDEO to redesign a shopping cart in 5 days. The book flags somewhat in the middle - there are still plenty of an ...more
Marc
Nov 06, 2015 Marc rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
As one of the top design firms in the world, this is an excellent read for understanding the type of environment, mindsets and leadership (or lack thereof) that promotes innovation, the importance of diverse skill sets, and the step-by-step methods to follow their process. Highly applicable to today's business environment and I'd say the interest in design thinking is only starting to take off...with customer centricity. We are all creative. A must read!
Garland Vance
The Art of Innovation tells the story of IDEO brainstorm, design and launch cycles that have led to some of the most creative innovations in the world. Sounds interesting, right? It's not. Of the 15 chapters, I found 2 or 3 of them interesting and insightful. There were two problems that I found. First, the book was written almost a decade ago, so the innovative products about which they tell stories are now dinosaurs. This, of course, cannot be helped unless they update the book each year. But ...more
Brian
Apr 28, 2008 Brian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, design
Wow! A must read.

Even if you don't like business books, this is another book that you will enjoy. The examples of IDEO projects make this a VERY fun read. These are the guys who brought to you thinks like easy to grip tooth brush handles and ... and ... well a good portion of the items you love in your household.

This book will inspire you to jump out of your old rut and begin pushing yourself beyond what you thought capable. Only if we could all implement these concepts (and create a work envi
Fadilah
Nov 06, 2015 Fadilah rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Tom Kelley is the brother of IDEO founder, and he tells about how the company works inside out. Design thinking is a must now to create an innovation, and this book shows how to do it using IDEO's experience and of course some other companies and clients examples.

And now this book leads me to one of the books mentioned here: The Experience Economy.
Brad Dunn
This was the second book I read from IDEO. I feel like the first was more surprising, mostly because I didn't really understand their innovation process. I might be scoring this book lower as I'm less surprised, and it was more or less preaching to the converted. It's a good book though. Maybe I'm being a little cruel. If this was the first book you've read by the author, it's not a bad place to start.
Amy Cheng
Apr 16, 2013 Amy Cheng rated it liked it
Having read some of IDEO's case studies, I looked forward to reading more about their innovation philosophy.

With fun anecdotes such as reinventing the shopping car and the sand hill challenge, the book is a easy, entertaining read.

The insights I took away are as followed:

1) Innovation can be practiced and cultivated
2) Prototype and seek feedback as soon as possible
3) Its all about observations and point of view, look and learn from your surroundings, a different profession and most importantly y
Gergely
Apr 25, 2013 Gergely rated it really liked it
It feels a bit like a corporate autobiography, with its many stories, looking back how things worked before, like leafing through an interesting photo album at a friend's house.

Still, I did take away quite a few notes, that seem to influence my thinking in general, almost right away.
- I feel like I became more observant, things around me offer more opportunities
- I like the idea of "everything can be improved", and it gives me a fresh look
- Prototype early, prototype often
- So many different way
Cian O'donovan
Mar 30, 2014 Cian O'donovan rated it liked it
Useful reminders on brainstorming. But starting to show its age. Reminded me of sitting though lots of "creative" meetings with London agencies
Eric
Nov 21, 2013 Eric rated it liked it
I first read this book 11 years ago just before graduating as a Computer Science major. The interesting stories of prototyping new devices made the C++ network programming I had been doing seem like a dead end. It inspired me to seek product management jobs instead of engineering jobs. Since this book was written, the quality of open source software and cost of server hosting has improved to where engineers can now prototype and market products without much startup capital. IDEO's clients are no ...more
Sanchita
Jan 18, 2016 Sanchita rated it it was ok
The book was fairly interesting, though it was very outdated. For a book on innovation, it could have been designed much better.
Marisa
Sep 27, 2015 Marisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I gave this four stars for helping me think about how to make the new Innovation Committee a success. I took off a star because, in my opinion, the author spent too much time tooting IDEO's horn. I'd rather have gone deeper into how companies can build a culture of innovation.
Daniel Kao
May 12, 2013 Daniel Kao rated it it was amazing
Reading this book made me feel like a little kid in a candy store.

Reading about IDEO's offices gave me a lot of insight into their creative process, and how much of it is a lot more organic and naturally free-flowing than other companies. In that sense, IDEO is more of a playground, a place where adults go to play with Styrofoam and bubble wrap in order to design and solve big problems.

Hearing the stories of failure and otherwise flopped projects from this book, it has given me an inspiration to
Hajo Kracht
Aug 11, 2015 Hajo Kracht rated it really liked it
Very interesting story-telling about innovation. Many vivid examples. Nice and easy read.
Micah Smurthwaite
Written in the shadow of the dynamic landscape of technology, a book from 2000 will have outdated examples. However, the principles of creative friction in order to avoid groupthink are still applicable. Disagree and commit.

Instead of a product focused approach, take a needs based approach. In other words, what is the problem and what is the smartest way to solve it.

Take brainstorming: Go for quantity, Be visual, Encourage wild ideas, Number your ideas and try to get to 100. Ways to kill a bra
Sue
Feb 03, 2009 Sue rated it really liked it
Taking a class at CBC and this book is required reading. I've read lots of it before as my boss believes in this process of innovation and wants to use it at our company. This type of innovation is so familiar to IDEO that it's easy for them and they have lots of fun doing it -- they are a VERY successful company. The thing we need to remember in the real world is the process -- understand the market; the power of observation and getting feedback; brainstorming to visualize a concept; develop pr ...more
Riley
Mar 14, 2008 Riley rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008, non-fiction
This book has a lot of helpful ideas for running a company or a project/team, especially if you're in the design industry (but even if you're not).

My problem with it is Kelley's patronizing tone. Throughout the book I felt like I was being told just how great his company (IDEO) is, how they do everything right (even their mistakes are right!), etc. Needless to say, it got to be kind of nauseating/overwhelming.

Because of that, it took me forever to finish, and unless someone can give me an EXTREM
Mike
Apr 03, 2013 Mike rated it liked it
The IDEO group has been at the forefront of design innovation in San Francisco/ Silicon Valley, and Thomas Kelley's brother David was a founder of IDEO and has helped develop the d.school at Stanford University. Great insights about brainstorming, assembling and working in teams, office space, and prototyping. One of their key mottoes is "Fail often to succeed sooner." Clearly it helps that they are making a lot of fun, cool stuff, but they have been wildly successful at integrating a sense of p ...more
Hanna
Apr 20, 2015 Hanna rated it really liked it
Per usual, Kelley gets you thinking in a different light and believing you can take on the world and all it throws at you. A solid read if you feel like you're in a creative rut or just need a new way of looking at things.
Gokul Alex
Jan 25, 2015 Gokul Alex rated it really liked it
Explorative and reflective account of innovation
Chitrarasu M
Just started will let you Know once completed.
Alissa
Nov 28, 2008 Alissa rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I was totally inspired while reading it.

Includes information on brainstorming, teams and prototyping. Totally cool book with practical easy to implement ideas. Also, it turned my thinking on teams around as the author devotes time to discussing their “hot teams” approach and how the myth of the lone inventor is a just that a myth. I didn’t realize Edison had a team of people who worked with him, but he did and they all collaborated to come up with some of his patents.

So very i
Katherine
Feb 02, 2015 Katherine rated it liked it
Shelves: creativity
It may be high praise that most of the contents in this book seemed like common sense, or at least things I have been told before. I can guess that when it was originally written there were some wild ideas in this book. I'd like to see the updated 2015 version - what has IDEO learned in the past decade and how has it evolved? I saw that Tom Kelley has a more recent book - perhaps I will find some of my updates in that book. The IDEO culture has definitely become pervasive and a model of creativi ...more
  • Change by Design: How Design Thinking Transforms Organizations and Inspires Innovation
  • The Design of Business: Why Design Thinking is the Next Competitive Advantage
  • Designing Interactions [With CDROM]
  • Design Driven Innovation: Changing the Rules of Competition by Radically Innovating What Things Mean
  • Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques
  • The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge into Action
  • Rapid Viz : A New Method for the Rapid Visualization of Ideas
  • Weird Ideas That Work: How to Build a Creative Company
  • Sketching User Experiences:  Getting the Design Right and the Right Design
  • A Fine Line: How Design Strategies Are Shaping the Future of Business
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • Gamestorming: A Playbook for Innovators, Rule-breakers, and Changemakers
  • Designing for Interaction: Creating Smart Applications and Clever Devices
  • 101 Design Methods: A Structured Approach for Driving Innovation in Your Organization
  • This is Service Design Thinking: Basics – Tools – Cases
  • Thoughtless Acts?: Observations on Intuitive Design
  • Make Space: How to Set the Stage for Creative Collaboration
  • What Customers Want: Using Outcome-Driven Innovation to Create Breakthrough Products and Services

“The best way to get a good idea is to get a Lot of ideas. —LINUS PAULING” 2 likes
“They overlook the possibility that brainstorming can be a skill, an art, more like playing the piano than tying your shoes.” 1 likes