Start by marking “A More Perfect Union: The Story of Our Constitution” as Want to Read:
A More Perfect Union: The Story of Our Constitution

A More Perfect Union: The Story of Our Constitution

With accurate historical information, this easy-to-understand book tells why and how the Constitution of the United States was created. A More Perfect Union includes a map and back matter with a table of dates and a summary of the Articles of the Constitution.

"A simple, attractive, informative book about a milestone in American history. The simplest and most accessible his
Published April 8th 2008 by HarperCollins (first published August 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about A More Perfect Union, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A More Perfect Union

Karen
Jul 28, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
Great book and easy for kids to understand. Read this for our last week of CC3 wk#24.

Read this book again this year....election year!....teaching the kids more about government and elections this year...krb 7/28/16
Liz
Aug 14, 2012 Liz rated it liked it
Shelves: read-for-blog
In 1787 people in our country could see that the government wasn't working very well. Delegates gathered in Philadelphia to try to fix the government and ended up creating the Constitution and the government we now have. This book conscientiously walks us through a top-level view of what happened that summer in Philadelphia.

Many of the delegates were late to the convention. The book spends a total of four pages, two two-page spreads, on the late start. Is it so important?
George Washington was c
Tami Roberts
2nd- 4th Grade (Read Aloud/Independent Reading).

The illustrations in this story are very colorful and detailed, often taking up the majority of the page; most of the pictures have rounded edges, with no defined frame, almost giving the illusion that part of the scene is omitted, I find this interesting considering all of the controversy concerning the origin of our country, which would obviously be omitted from a children’s book. The story of the birth of America’s constitution is very long and
Heloyce
Jul 05, 2010 Heloyce rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This picture book in a brief, concise way, gives the history of fifty-five men brought together to create the document that would guide our nation. At the back of the book is a summary of the Articles of the Constitution, the names of the states and their representative signers, a chronology of dates pertaining to the document and finally a summary of amendments to the Constitution. It may be a children's book, but it is a wonderful resource for the basic facts that every American citizen should ...more
Shelli
Aug 30, 2013 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, history
Story of how our Constitution came to be, who was involved, and some of the debating and compromises that went into creating it. This would be a good addition to any school library or classroom where students are studying this important time in our nations history. Enough information in this book alone for a book report on this, the oldest written set of rules for running a country still in use today.
Bonnie
Sep 04, 2013 Bonnie rated it really liked it
I would for sure use this book in a lesson on the United States Constitution. It would be a great lead-in book to begin a lesson, or a great "end of the lesson" book to summarize everything learned. It clearly explains political terms without throwing out difficult terms or ideas, and I believe is an easy/smooth read for most upper (3rd-5th) grades.
Erica
Dec 10, 2013 Erica rated it it was amazing
This beautifully illustrated picture book is a must-have in the classroom! Especially when looking at our nation's history, this book comes in handy. It tells the tale of how our nation came to be and what all went into the process of our Constitution. It's great especially for the younger kids when looking for a way to easily explain such a complex process.
Rebecca Snodgrass
A historical book that explains the Constitution in such a way that is easy for young children to grasp. It tells the entire history of how it came to be. At the end of the book, there are a couple of tables that provide a table to dates, note on the Connecticut Comprise, interesting facts, and summary of the amendments. A very good book to kick off a lesson.
Lauren Brown
Daniel Cota
Oct 09, 2012 Daniel Cota rated it it was amazing
The book easily explains how America came to be. It talks about the skeleton of the Constitution. The book is a higher level of reading because it talks about how the government is divided in power. A lot of government words so this book is mainly for 4th-5th graders. Other than that, the pictures and the story are pretty good for a short version.
Katie Sicking
Dec 13, 2013 Katie Sicking rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for teaching elementary students about the Constitution. The writing is kid-friendly and the pictures are nice as well.
Selah
Nov 11, 2016 Selah rated it really liked it
A good overview for the elementary set. I felt there could have been more explanation of the Connecticut Compromise in the text (it is explained in the notes at the back).
Bethany
Nov 13, 2013 Bethany rated it really liked it
Extremely informative with easily accessible language. Great for integrating literature into social studies.
Lindsey
Oct 06, 2013 Lindsey rated it really liked it
I think this a great resource for teaching kids about the constitution. It takes a complicated subject and explains it in a kid friendly way.
Caroline
Feb 17, 2015 Caroline rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A good over view of the writing of the Constitution. Not as in-depth as I might like, but certainly an easy enough read for my more struggling readers to use as an independent research book.
Matthew Dambro
Matthew Dambro rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2014
Dianacphillip
Dianacphillip rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Tyler Marfin
"A More Perfect Union: The Story of Our Constitution" by Betsy Maestro is an informative book about how our country came to be. The illustrations are done in ink and pen to illustrate a story of how the constitution was made and ratified. It does a good job at teaching young students a major part of our history while being inviting to young readers with warm illustrations and pictures. The book even includes dates and specific events to give even more information to the reader. This book ...more
Oksana
Oksana rated it it was ok
Oct 25, 2016
Krista
Krista rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2012
Rachel
good info but lacking in presentation
Justyna Korona
Justyna Korona rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2013
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2016
Christy
Christy rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Safia
Safia rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Sofia
Sofia rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2015
Mel
Mel rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2012
Junetta West
Junetta West rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2014
Candace Salima
Candace Salima rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2009
David
David rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Shh! We're Writing the Constitution
  • Benjamin West and His Cat Grimalkin
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an American Colonist!: A Settlement You'd Rather Not Start
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be at the Boston Tea Party!: Wharf Water Tea, You'd Rather Not Drink
  • Three Young Pilgrims
  • The Boy Who Held Back the Sea
  • Kids at Work: Lewis Hine and the Crusade Against Child Labor
  • George Washington's Teeth
  • Arms & Armor
  • Gingerbread for Liberty!: How a German Baker Helped Win the American Revolution
  • William Shakespeare & the Globe
Before beginning her career in children's books, Betsy Maestro was a teacher. Her first book with Giulio Maestro was A Wise Monkey Tale published in 1975, and since then they have collaborated on more than one hundred books. Their on-going American Story series began with the highly acclaimed The Discovery of the Americas and continues to help young readers understand and appreciate our nations ...more
More about Betsy Maestro...