Start by marking “The Happy Man and His Dump Truck” as Want to Read:
The Happy Man and His Dump Truck

The Happy Man and His Dump Truck

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  1,551 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Published January 11th 2005 by Golden Books (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about The Happy Man and His Dump Truck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Happy Man and His Dump Truck

Robert Beveridge
Jan 08, 2014 Robert Beveridge rated it really liked it
Miryam, The Happy Man and His Dump Truck (Golden Press, 1950)

I have to admit, I am at a loss to explain the enduring popularity of this book at Goat Central. My wife, who originally had our copy when she was a toddler, tells me it was one of her younger brother's favorites when he was two or three years old, and now the Bean can't go more than two or three days without this one coming right back into rotation. It could be Tibor Gergely's illustrations, which have an interesting, kind of Asian fe
Krissy
Jan 13, 2010 Krissy rated it it was amazing
this book tells the story of a happy man who drives around and picks up farm animals in his dump truck. all the animals have the best time, as you can see by their happy faces.

for some reason, i loved this book when i was little and was inspired to wish for a dump truck of my own. my plan was to have my mom drive it when it was her carpool day. i planned to cover the the inside of the back of the truck with purple carpet so that i wouldn't get my school uniform dirty on the ride to school. my m
Josiah
Mar 09, 2010 Josiah rated it did not like it
This is a nice, old-fashioned kind of story that I very much enjoyed reading. All of the illustrations and writing point to the warmth and simplicity of the time it was first released, the 1950s, and I think that the book can be just as successful now as ever because of the kindness with which it is told. As noted on the back cover, "lively, satisfying stories never go out of style." I completely agree!

The Happy Man and His Dump Truck isn't a long story. A man driving a dump truck gives a ride
Angela
Jan 22, 2013 Angela rated it it was amazing
This a such a cute and great classic. I remember being read this story by my Grandmother and Mother as a little girl. It was one of my favorites. Once I had a son of my own it quickly became one of his favorites too as I read it to him, over, and over, and over again. I love classic Little Golden Books like this, they truly are timeless and can be spread throughout the generations. The dump truck man is such a breath of fresh air in his cheery demeanor and how he treats everyone he meets, includ ...more
D'Anne
Mar 28, 2011 D'Anne rated it liked it
Shelves: children
My sister bought this book for my son from the hospital gift shop and it made him very happy during an otherwise very unhappy time. So I love the book for that reason. It's a cute book, if a little dumb. I mean, it's not safe to ride around in the back of a dump truck and most likely the Happy Man's animal passengers would have been gravely injured when he tipped the dumper while they were all inside. The Happy Man just seems a little irresponsible, is all. Happy, but maybe not especially smart. ...more
Angie
Dec 11, 2014 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: "A happy man thrills a group of farm animals when he takes them for a joy ride in his dump truck. This book is a true classic illustrated by the inimitable Tibor Gergely."

My Review: This was a great little classic story. It was short and simple with the classic illustrations. It combined many of the things Munchkin loves, dump trucks and animals. He loved pointing out the animals and making their sounds. Of course now he thinks he should get to ride in the dump bed and get to slide out
Wendy Daniel
May 07, 2014 Wendy Daniel rated it really liked it
Shelves: lis-4700
This book is not a particularly complex book, and it's quite old, but I don't know a kid (ages 6 months -2 years old) who can resist all of the farm animals sliding around in the back of the dump truck. The farmer loves to give them rides. Vocabulary for the younger set helps them identify the names of the different animals. Print awareness is also easy to teach in this simple book as the animals greet the happy farmer.
Tasha
May 26, 2014 Tasha rated it really liked it
This book is currently a bit long for my 1-yo daughter's attention, but she often chooses it from her book stack and will sit for about 1/2 of the story before wandering off. I really like how friendly and easygoing the happy man is, so I am hoping this book is one that my daughter will continue to enjoy as she gets older.
Stephanie
Sep 24, 2016 Stephanie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
This is such a strange book. The illustrations are charming and the board book format is pleasing. Of course my boys love it, especially the two-year-old. After a few readings it starts seeming to make a little more sense, or maybe that is just the work of the desperate desire within my soul to make sense of the nonsensical.
Karen
Apr 10, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
I'm an adult but not a grown-up: The title makes me giggle.

Aside from that, this book is a cute little non-story. I didn't buy this book for the text, and I doubt if anyone else does. I bought this book for Tibor Gergely's fabulous illustrations.

The illustrations completely make this book. They are filled with wit and humor, and are downright wonderful.

Rob
Feb 28, 2011 Rob rated it did not like it
The Boy likes it... but seriously: what is this other than a non sequitur? Just an excuse to put a dump truck in a book for little kids? There's no plot. Nothing here. The only thing that you don't get from the title is the farm animals. And maybe that's the twist ending. "The Happy Man and His Dump Truck... AND FARM ANIMALS!"
ABC
Feb 09, 2008 ABC rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: preschoolers
Shelves: younger-kids
My son really liked this when he was about three. It is old-fashioned and quaint. The only thing I don't like is that it teaches that it is okay to get into a truck with a stranger! (But I don't think they were politically correct back when this book was written, tee hee.)
Audrey
Aug 05, 2009 Audrey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 2-year olds
Recommended to Audrey by: Mom
My 2-year old son loves this book. The pictures are decent and contain some recognizable objects and animals. The story is cute and silly. The text on each page is brief to accommodate a limited attention span. He likes vehicles at this age, so perhaps that is the main attraction.
Darinda
Nov 03, 2015 Darinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gavin
Read: board book (owned)

I'm not sure what it is, but my son really enjoys this book. He calls it the happy book, and we read it a lot because he enjoys it so much. It's about a happy man giving some animals a ride in his dump truck.
Jolynn
Oct 30, 2008 Jolynn rated it liked it
Katherine
May 26, 2008 Katherine rated it liked it
Sooooooooo silly. If PETA were to compile a recommended reading list for children, this book wouldn't make it. Ah, the magic of Little Golden Books reprinting vintage titles.
Dolly
Jul 19, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, pets, 2010
A bizarre little story about a man who gives rides to farm animals in his dump truck. They love it when he tips the dumper so they can slide down. Odd story, cute illustrations.
Jenni Rollins
Nov 06, 2010 Jenni Rollins rated it did not like it
The story line was rather banal, but it does teach some animal sounds.
Tra-Kay
Dec 22, 2010 Tra-Kay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
The sliding, gleefully squealing pig gave me so much delight that I clearly am going to remember it for ever.
Peter
Jan 21, 2012 Peter rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any young child
One of the most awesome books ever written. It's one of the stories I remember most from my childhood. Now that it's back in print, you can bet there will be a copy going to my nephew in Texas.
Marie
Dec 13, 2012 Marie rated it really liked it
I predict this will be a favorite of Dylan's in a couple of years!
Maryann
Nov 08, 2008 Maryann rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents of young children
Roger's favorite read-aloud book and Sarah's favorite book when she was maybe two?
Heidi
Feb 06, 2014 Heidi rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-to-toddler
My toddler had no problem with this book, but I was surprised at the complete lack of plot. This one will go back to the library very soon.
Bryce
May 05, 2010 Bryce rated it it was amazing
This has got to be the BEST BOOK EVER WRITTEN/DRAWN! I loved this as a kid and read it over and over--more than any other book.

I've got to find a copy for my sons. :-)
Samira
May 20, 2009 Samira rated it really liked it
A childhood favorite.
Ann
Ann rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2012
Alethia Canady
Alethia Canady rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2013
Lesli
Lesli rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2015
Margo Buisson
Margo Buisson rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Vicki
Vicki rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2017
mistake 1 9 Nov 01, 2009 10:16AM
the happy man and his dump truck 1 8 Nov 01, 2009 10:14AM
  • Seven Little Postmen
  • The Jolly Barnyard
  • The Fire Engine Book (Little Golden Book)
  • Baby Animals (A Little Golden Book)
  • Prayers for Children (Little Golden Book)
  • I Can Fly
  • My First Counting Book
  • The Fuzzy Duckling (a Little Golden Book)
  • Tootle
  • The Bunny Book, Richard Scarry's (a Little Golden Book)
  • Four Little Kittens (a Little Golden Book)
  • Santa's Toy Shop (a Big Little Golden Book)
  • Uncle Wiggily's Story Book
  • The Shy Little Kitten (Big Little Golden Book)
  • Doctor Dan: The Bandage Man
  • The Firefighters' Busy Day
  • Tawny Scrawny Lion
  • Pooh Goes Visiting (Carousel Book)