Start by marking “Crooked River” as Want to Read:
Crooked River

Crooked River

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  273 ratings  ·  47 reviews
The year is 1812. A white trapper is murdered. And a young Chippewa Indian stands accused.
Published March 13th 2007 by Yearling (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Crooked River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crooked River

Monica!
This book has two strikes against it, friends, and one of those strikes is totally not its fault: namely, that I am too damn old for this book, and thus found it kind of simple and not-suited-to-my-reading-level.

And while there are indeed plenty of not-suited-to-my-reading-level books out there that I genuinely enjoy, I try not to let that bias me against ones that I don’t.

Because they’re supposed to be juvenile. Due to the way they’re aimed at nine-year-olds.

So. There’s that. Presumably age-ap
Arminzerella
Linda C.
My sister who lives in Cleveland told me about Shelley Pearsall after she met her at an elementary school presentation where Shelley talked to the kids about her books. She showed the kids all of her rejection letters as she tried to get her work published. Shelley writes about Ohio, a state which I am nuts about. As a writer too, I'm always happy to know I am not alone in my struggle to be published. What better reason than those to read a book.

Crooked River is a young adult novel set in 1812 i
Dan Rogers
This Historical Fiction book by Shelley Pearsall was quite interesting and enjoyable to read. Rebecca Carver, a 13 year old girl lives in a one room cabin with her Pa, her sisters Laura (age 17) and Mercy (age 3), brothers Lorenzo (age 11) and Amos (age 19), and cousin George (age 21?). As you might expect, living on the edge of the frontier, the settlers of this small community encounter Native Americans quite often. As the story begins the men of the village have arrested a Native American for ...more
Ben Siems
Jul 15, 2008 Ben Siems rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Ben by: see review
This book was recommended to me by an eleven-year-old actress and member of the Ojibwe nation in Minnesota. We became acquainted when she joined the cast of a theater-dance fusion work for which I had been commissioned to compose the sound score.

Not surprisingly, the book, a work of historical fiction, is aimed primarily at juvenile audiences. The prose is for the most part simple and direct, short on nuance and layering of meanings. Also, Pearsall's blending of the idiomatic expressions of the
Payton
this book was ok i dident realy enjoy it because it never realy hooked me and when i was reading it i felt bored and not iterested in the book
Jill
Dec 16, 2010 Jill rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nicole
I thought this book was quite good!! And thank god, because I have been reading some not-fantastic stuff lately.

This book was about life on an Ohio settlement town and how they treated the Native Americans that were really there prior to their settlement. The people of the settlement capture and imprison a Native American man who they think murdered one of their trapper buddies. The rest of the book is about getting to know the man and then the trial.

I learned a lot in this book, and I love to l
Tami
I have recently become a HUGE fan of this author. She writes everything from amazing historical fiction to contemporary fiction, to stories based on current, real-life events. I first became aware of her when her book ALL OF THE ABOVE showed up on the Maud Hart Lovelace Award Nominee list for 2010-11 in Division II (5th -7th grade).

If you are a middle school or young adult reader, or you know one, these books are excellent. ALL OF THE ABOVE is based on the true story of a middle school class in
Sheila
Dreaming of seeing my own books in bookstores one day, I find myself consciously wondering sometimes, what makes me pick a book up from the shelf? What makes me look at the blurb on the back? And then what makes me buy? Unfortunately what makes me buy is all too often influenced by whether the book is cheap, and some of my most treasured finds have been remaindered hardbacks.

Crooked River was a hardback remainder with a beautiful cover. Purple clouds (I like purple) loom in a black-lit sky and
Abby Johnson
Rebecca is appalled when her Pa brings home an Indian and locks him up in the attic. She's terrified of Indians in general and her Pa says that this Indian is a murderer. But when she screws up her courage to bring the Indian some food, she begins to realize that maybe he's not as terrifying as she thought. Then a young lawyer comes to their cabin claiming to be friends with the Indian. He's going to defend "Indian John" at his trial. Rebecca knows that there is no chance Indian John will be fou ...more
Jackie
Jan 18, 2008 Jackie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Susan Kunkle
Rebecca Carver lives in the Ohio Valley with her widowed father and many siblings. Her father, Major Lorenzo Carver is a prejudiced, verbally abusive,and a bitter father who does not have a kind word to say about anyone. He takes justice into his own hands when a white trapper is found murdered. He captures a Ojibway Indian and shackles him, binds him and holds him captive in the loft of Rebecca's home. She and her sister, Laura are frightened of this strange man, but gradually come to understan ...more
Karen Ball
A story of prejudice and courage told in alternating voices, Crooked River is set on the American frontier of Ohio in 1812. Rebecca and her four brothers and sisters live in a small cabin with their father, a violent and short-tempered man. Pa is one of them men who brings back Indian John to town for trial in the murder of a white trapper – only there is no jail in town, so Indian john is chained up in the family’s attic. Rebecca begins to question who is right and who is wrong as she sees evid ...more
Jonathan
Please keep in mind that if I was going to select a genre to read for the rest of my life it would be historical fiction. If I had to narrow that down even further it would specifically involve Native Americans and pioneers, so this books screams everything that I love. Even with that said this book is still amazing. The story has been done a lot of times, due to their race/class someone is accused of murdering/killing/betraying someone from a higher class. The way this story is written though i ...more
Jennifer W
A good story. I liked the alternating points of view between Amik and Rebecca. Rebecca felt very real as she learned that different doesn't necessarily mean bad, and people she respects and/or fears can lie when it serves their purposes. I also liked the author's note at the back about how this was based on a real trial of a Chippewa accused of killing a white man. The only thing that I didn't like was the maturity of the tone of the story. I think I would have ate this story up at about 8 or 9 ...more
Tyler Ward
This book was O.K., but I didn't really like it. It's all about an Indian named John that is accused of killing a white trapper. He is going to be put on trial for murder and if he gets convicted, he will be sentenced to hang. Rebecca is trying to save him, but all the town is against John, so in the end, he is sentenced to hang. Rebecca doesn't like this, so she goes and cuts the rope he will be hung on. The rope ends up breaking when John is hanged and he escapes from the whites. I learned tha ...more
Kate Lacy
Crooked River is a real place -- the story is based on real events. A young girl views the limits of a lifetime as she assists in feeding an Indian man held captive for some time as settlers deliberate his fate. The style of two voices speaking is outstanding as is the poetic form of interpreting the Indian's observations. This book is appropriate for children of all ages and for anyone who reads middle grade literature or historical fiction, and wants to look at pioneer America from another poi ...more
Nandanie
I read this three years ago in fifth grade. I really enjoyed this book but I hated how the whites would be so cruel to the indian. They threw fruits at him because he was a different race!!! Talk about cruelty!!! I am a different race and if someone threw something at me or disliked me because I am differet; I would stand up for my rights!!! I love the plot and I only gave it 3 because of the cruelty. Unlike Hatchet, this was a pretty good book in reading class!
Erin
It took me a while to really get into this book, but after I got to know the main character a little better (when the trial started), I was hooked. Other reviewers have described this book as a mix between Laura Ingals Wilder's Little House books and Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. I think this is an apt description, and it probably explains part of why I enjoyed this book so much. Those other titles are some of my all-time favorites!
Allise
So, this book is just about the trial of Indian John and if he survives...or not. That's it. I didn't like it too much. It was okay. At least it kept my interest throughout the book. I had to read it for Language Arts.

So, I think it just represents the hypocracy (sorry if I spelled that wrong) of man. That's the good part. I also liked the poetic parts of when Indian John was speaking.
Linda
Apr 29, 2008 Linda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
This ia a historical novel set in 1812. An interesting look at the times and lives of people on the frontier in this era and the dilemma of 13 year old Rebecca when an Indian is jailed in her attic awaiting trial for a murder he didn't commit.

I learned that choices to right wrongs are not always easy and that justice at that time was different for Indians.
Louise
Excellent young adult/juvenile historical fiction with well-drawn memorable characters faced with moral dilemmas. Takes place in 1812 when a native american is accused of murder and a show trial (similar to To Kill a Mockingbird) is held to sanction his execution. A young girl must decide to break the law so justice will be done.
Dedra
This book was a pleasant surprise. It is one of this years grade 6-9 Black-eyed Susan nominees, and that was wh I read it. Amazingly enough, it also fit the 8th grade Social Studies/Accelerated Reader project for the second semester (book that takes place in the 1800-1900s). It was basically about an incredibly unfair murder trial.
Dotty
Rebecca's father brings Amik, a Native American accused of murder, into their 1812 Ohio settlement town. While waiting for trial, their family’s attic becomes the jail and Rebecca and her sister are expected to care for Amik. Everyone assumes he is guilty, but Rebecca begins to wonder and to plan.

Christina
Aug 16, 2007 Christina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cleveland history buffs, native american history buffs
Very interesting tale of a true crime, a Native American accused of killing a white man in early Ohio frontier days, and the girl who befriends him. Told in alternating points of view, with the Native American character's voice in verse (poetry). Will he be sentenced to death, or will he live?
April Helms
Feb 03, 2008 April Helms rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children, young adult
Loosely based on a true story. A Native American is caught and put on trial for murder. A young girl from a respected family finds herself befriending the convict, despite everything, and she begins to doubt his guilt. Love the attention to detail.
Elaine Hoffer
It was an OK book. I think it was written well. Middle school kids seemed to like it. It was something I probably would not have picked but enjoyed it. Interesting way to write a book with both prose and poetry.
Nicole
Oh man this was a crazy book! I really felt bad for those two girls and their crazy dad. I'm also glad that Rebecca stood up for her beliefs and for her heart and help Indian John!
Nancy
Shelley Pearsall writes good historical fiction for children. Her main character's voice is true, and this story provokes thought about prejudice and standing up for truth and justice.
Reghan Erts
i love this book i read it when i was younger and now looking back and reading it again i undrstand the message they are trying to put acrossed. love the indian adventures and thrills.
Heather
I found this book to be a combination of Little House on the Prairie and To Kill a Mockingbird. Not a bad read for a middle school class. Historical, yet interesting.
crooked river 1 0 Jan 27, 2008 06:16PM
  • Gentle's Holler
  • A Friendship For Today
  • Shackleton's Stowaway
  • The Apprenticeship of Lucas Whitaker
  • Grandfather's Dance (Sarah, Plain and Tall, #5)
  • Divided against Yourselves
  • Summer Begins (The Callahan Cousins, #1)
  • Don't Let the Wind Catch You
  • Give Me Liberty
  • Coyote Winds
  • The Toadhouse Trilogy (Book #1)
  • It's All in Your Mind
  • Soldier Bear
  • The Beaded Moccasins
I grew up in a blue-collar suburb of Cleveland called Parma where I used to write stories in a bedroom closet (aka my writer’s office). I tried to get my first novel – a 40 page handwritten story called “I am the Only One Left” - published when I was thirteen. As you can probably guess, it was rejected!

It took about twenty years before I finally had my first published book, Trouble Don’t Last (Kno
More about Shelley Pearsall...
All of the Above All Shook Up Trouble Don't Last Jump into the Sky Trouble Don't Last