Start by marking “The Silk Road” as Want to Read:
The Silk Road

The Silk Road

Traveling The Silk Road: an interview with author Jane Summer""Adults have forgotten the feel of a teenager's love. For you a teenager will walk through glass doors, stay awake three days in a row, be an angel standing under your window in the rain. So what that we don't know how to order from the butcher or apply foundation or insert a diaphragm? Show us.""

So advises Paig
Published May 1st 2000 by Alyson Books

To ask other readers questions about The Silk Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silk Road

Jul 27, 2008 Risa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who need to remember what it's like to feel something
Recommended to Risa by: found on a remainder table
I am a sucker for coming-of-age stories that defy the trajectory of the typical Bildung: show me an outcast, a nerd, a teenage menace, a drag queen, a gay prostitute, the unwanted, the unwashed, the scabs society likes to pick off and disinfect, the socially inept, the emotionally backwards, he over-privileged crashing and burning, the awakening to all sorts of delicious perversities, the super-genius and the pathologically diabolical, but these stories must have these things: veracity, no over- ...more
Apr 12, 2012 Blue rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer
Paige is a teenager. And she has a story to tell about her teenage years, growing up in Hell, NY.

Summer does too good a job with Paige, because she is exactly, I imagine, the perfectly-constructed American high school teenage girl. Not having been to high school in the USA, yet having had ample opportunity to listen to many stories of miserable high school life as well as watching god-awful American films made about this era of the life of the American creature, I think Paige is perfect. She is
Aug 07, 2007 Jessica rated it did not like it
after reading the back cover of this book, i thought i was getting into a coming-of-age novel of a young girl going on a road trip. i was sorely mistaken. this is a coming-of-age tale, but the teenager falls in love with an older married woman. i won't go into further detail, but never in my entire read did i feel sympathetic for poor Paige Bergman--the protagonist. and the fact that this story takes place in Hell, New York, was too obvious a metaphor.
Sep 02, 2013 Stephen rated it liked it
Just ok for me. Interesting characters but never felt much sympathy for the snarky, obsessive lead character Paige. Story felt stretched. Over two years for girl as smart and confident as Paige to figure out what she wanted from relationship with Fiona? If true "awakening" I would have expected Paige to develop other targets for affection also over this time. Book has autobiographical feel. Suspect author went through some of same issues as a girl.
Oct 21, 2010 Nancy rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, fiction
Strange coming of age story about a girl who has an affair with an older woman. At times difficult to follow but still somehow compelling enough for me to finish.
V rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2016
thea maria
thea maria rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2009
Alison Goetz DeRiemer
Alison Goetz DeRiemer rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2016
Anna rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2013
Allison rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2008
Jen Trudell
Jen Trudell rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2012
Patti rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Jen rated it it was ok
Jul 10, 2013
Queren King-orozco
Queren King-orozco rated it really liked it
May 05, 2013
Kathy Hester
Kathy Hester rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2009
Jenna rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2013
Kathy rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2008
maven rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2011
Mh rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2014
Cyd rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Alice rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2008
k. rated it really liked it
May 18, 2015
Kate rated it liked it
May 31, 2010
Carolyn rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2008
Mica rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2012
Ayana rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2012
Agent Smith
Agent Smith rated it it was ok
Apr 16, 2011
Angela rated it it was ok
Jul 21, 2013
Lauren rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2011
Allison rated it did not like it
Apr 27, 2009