The Golden Bough

The Golden Bough

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  4,724 ratings  ·  150 reviews
Before Joseph Campbell became the world's most famous practitioner of comparative mythology, there was Sir James George Frazer. The Golden Bough was originally published in two volumes in 1890, but Frazer became so enamored of his topic that over the next few decades he expanded the work sixfold, then in 1922 cut it all down to a single thick edition suitable for mass dist...more
Paperback, Abridged, 880 pages
Published December 1st 1995 by Touchstone Books (first published 1890)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Bough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Bough

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankIn Cold Blood by Truman CapoteWalden by Henry David ThoreauBury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee BrownThe Origin of Species by Charles Darwin
The Guardian's Top 100 Non-Fiction Books
27th out of 100 books — 77 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll
Best Books of the 19th Century
298th out of 612 books — 3,161 voters

More lists with this book...

Nick Black
Influential without bound and ere-breaking of ground, this is undeniably a major modern classic that reshaped its entire field. Of course, most of Frazier's theses have been broadly discredited, but it's not like you're studying comparative mythology to build bridges with it (although it's been proposed that unsold copies of Joseph Campbell, shredded to a fine mist, would provide high-quality industrial weathering and cheap insulation suitable for the Third World).

That having been said, this boo...more
Michael
Discovering The Golden Bough, and then Graves' The White Goddess (which owes a critically huge debt to the Golden Bough), was a life-changing time for me that recast the stories I had vacuumed up at that age, from Greek myths to Kipling, as about something more than their contents or even the authors intent. It was first published over 100 years ago; still, nothing can get a boy into that modernist, meta- meta- meta- perspective on society like The Golden Bough. Of course it's only fair that we...more
Cassandra Kay Silva
This is such an important work. If you take it from the perspective of what it is, an anthology of rituals and belief systems found in religious and non religious cultures across the globe. As some other readers have pointed out it is not linear, it is also not well coordinated in way of connecting points and making/laying out statements about those points. But what it is absolutely superb and unbeatable in, is its exhaustive amount of information. I did read the full version, and the sheer amou...more
Adam
Book Description
A classic study of the beliefs and institutions of mankind, and the progress through magic and religion to scientific thought, The Golden Bough has a unique status in modern anthropology and literature. First published in 1890, The Golden Bough was eventually issued in a twelve-volume edition (1906-15) which was abridged in 1922 by the author and his wife. That abridgement has never been reconsidered for a modern audience. In it some of the more controversial passages were droppe...more
Charles
If you're going to learn about anything "occult", then, this is where to start. Forget all those other cheap, juvenile occult books, based on a poor and feeble-minded outlook on anything Pagan. Once you read this book, you will understand why.

Instead of just thinking you can be "pagan", why don't you learn about the where and how of modern and historical pagan's genesis.

After you have read this book, 80% of every other modern pagan book will equate to children playing with words.

The pace is equ...more
AC
One simply cannot, in my opinion, understand anything about the history and origins of religion -- and of society (for the primitive social unit, the family, is primarily a religious unit) -- without a thorough mastery of this book.

In this context, a study of de Fustel Coulanges is also essential: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
Lisa
Apr 06, 2008 Lisa rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pseudo-intellectual horses' rear ends.
How I could possibly have highlighted so much of this book and yet not actually read it is a pure freakin' mystery.
Laural
The Golden Bough is no doubt an exercise in patience. To be clear, I have not finished this book, and will not for many years. This book takes time to digest and fully understand, but once that time is taken to contemplate it, literally everything that can be seen in the world opens up to the insights that are provided. Expecting to read this book once, without careful pause and effort, is akin to attempting to understand the enlightenment of the ages in an afternoon. I can see how many parts of...more
Vanessa
i didn't actually finish this. i valiantly read on to page 368 until the repetition, racism, imperialism and sexism wore me down. every time, after several pages of examples, JGF said something like, 'a few more examples will suffice to prove...', i wanted to stab myself in the neck.

the content is actually very interesting (although i bummed to hear that a lot of it has been discredited) and just thinking about how he organised all this information blows my mind, but, see paragraph one.

a huge we...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Jul 29, 2012 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those Interested in Folk Lore, Anthropology, Religion, Literature
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Good Reading: 100 Significiant Books
The Foreword compares Frazer and Golden Bough in its impact to such revolutionary thinkers of the 19th Century as Darwin, Marx, and Freud. This seminal work of anthropology and comparative religion first published in 1890 was in fact a great influence on Freud and Jung as well as T.S. Eliot and Yeats and the modern Neopagan movement. Frazer's influence on Joseph Campbell is obvious--he's the original. Frazer tries to argue for the monomyth--the idea that religion and myth can be reduced to a few...more
Walter Five
This is not a "review" of the classic "Golden Bough." This is a review of several hardback and soft back editions available to the collector which are complimentary to each other's content and pagination. The purchaser may wish to take care in selecting which edition of the Golden Bough they consider for purchase. Several hardbound editions exist.

The most common edition is the 2-volume abridged 4th edition,this is the edition supervised by Graves widow; it is woefully incomplete. It seems Mrs. G...more
Inna Shpitzberg
It's a really profound and interesting study of the origins of mythology and religion.
Since it's extensively referenced as being a great influence on the early 20th century literature, I just had to read it.
I strongly recommend it to everybody who is interested in the origins of modern literature and poetry, since it explains a lot of themes and motives that were developed by the major modernist writers.
Rick
The classic book of comparative mythology. Between this and Joseph Campbell's "Hero with a Thousand Faces," I came to realize the universality of belief in the dead and reborn demigod at the heart of nearly all the world's religions.
(edit)

Like this review? yes 0 comments

Rebecca
I read this, like many people, because I know how influential it was. I studied English in college, and this book always kept cropping up. So I thought to myself, maybe if I read this, I'll have a greater understanding of Modernist writers.

Right...

How to describe this? 850 pages of poorly argued drivel. The only part worth reading is the section on sympathetic magic. That part at least actually seems to be going somewhere and actually makes sense. It's an interesting and intelligent way of thin...more
C30net
کتاب حدود هشتصد و پنجاه ست، تقریبن 50 صفحه اضافات مبتذله داره از اخر
اصل کتاب که خدا بیامرز جیمز جرج فریزر نوشته 12 جلده که این خلاصه ی اون 12 جلده
ظاهرن اون کتاب اصلی الان توی پروژه گوتنبرگ در دسترسه، البته به لطف دولت فخیمه فیلتره
فعلن که رسیدیم پایان فصل اول (صفه هشتاد و دو) میتونم بگم برعکس اون چیزی که فکر میکردم، هیجان هم داره
و چیزی رو که خودم همیشه فکر میکردم باشه ظاهرن قراره در این کتاب بهش پرداخته بشه
syncretism
که ترجمه شده همآمیزی
اینجوری که من فهمیدم یعنی آیین و آداب و رسومی که از مذهبی به...more
Christopher
So I really shouldn't be marking this as "read", because I only read about half of it in a college Comparative Religions class. I'd like to go back and read it in full. It's a wonderfully dense, comprehensive, textbook-like thing chronicling all of religion. Vastly influential for not only academics such as Freud, Durkheim, Eliade, et al, but also fiction writers such as Gaddis, Eliot, Lawrence, and countless fantasy authors.
Luke
A classic, groundbreaking piece of comparative mythology and anthropology. It's influenced Jung, Campbell, T.S. Eliot and even Apocalypse Now.

It's a bit dated, particularly in its sticking to the "primitive savage" evolves into "sophisticated civilization" model, but alot of the basic principals are still very sound.

Frazer starts a single incident, a Latin ritual of a King of the Forest, who is ritually killed and replaced by his successor.

He uses this a launching pad for a far reaching, glob...more
Isidore
Jul 23, 2009 Isidore added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody who enjoys being bathed in textual diarrhea
To be hit upon the head over and over again with the same point illustrated by a million slightly different and equally dry examples. That is what it is to read The Golden Bough. Hundreds of pages roll by and the reading is continued out of spite. At times there is a faint hope that the conclusion will be grand, the payoff enormously worth the pain and trudging it took to arrive. Finally the last page comes into view. Having been read and the book closed only anger, betrayal and confusion remain...more
Welwyn Katz
As with so many of my scholarly books on mythology and comparative studies of myths and legends, I read them in an ongoing sort of way. They are great resources for writers who like to mix myth into their ordinary fiction. This one is a bit more "story-like" than e.g. Graves' The White Goddess and so it's a lot easier to read. It's still not easy. I'm not a scholar of mythology, but I love to know about it. Maybe if I live to be 96 and my eyesight and brains hold out...
Olga
O lucrare enorma despre gandirea magica si religioasa a societatilor vechi si a celor necivilizate care abunda in ritualuri si taboouri de tot felul. Frazer, autorul le categorizeaza in magia homeopatica si contagioasa.

Magia homeopatica consta in idea ca asemanatorul lucreaza similar originalului. Exemplu clasic ar fi papusa woodoo - papusa reprezinta un oarecare rau si orice rau facut papusei va afecta originalul.

Magia contagioasa ar fi ca obiecte sau persoane atinse de alt lucru sau persoana...more
Saikat
It was a great favour done to mankind when Frazer and his wife chose to condense the original twelve volumes into one volume; even the single volume appears so repetitive one can only imagine the ordeal that s/he that tries to read all the twelve has to undergo.

That said, I believe that Frazer's work (twelve volumes or one) is an immense contribution to the realm of anthropology - though one may not agree with all its contentions, it undoubtedly provides one structured framework for the entirety...more
Francisco Becerra
Inspiring, rich, illuminating. A book that looks into the past to give meaning to the present and future.
Ryan
I never get tired of reading this. The way Frazer takes a single curious bit of trivia - the forest priests called The King of the Wood - and extrapolates from there the whole history of magic and the mystical traditions of priesthood is simply amazing. It's like a conjurer's trick that never gets old.
Joshua Cochran
My friend Andy gave me this book and it sat (quite fatly) on my shelf for six years.

Andy gave it to me because it's in Apocalypse Now, the topmost book on Kurtz's shelf toward the end.

Let me just say, this book will open your eyes to many things, make you question your beliefs, your mode of thought, why you think what you think and believe what you believe. All of it.

The writing is a bit tedious. Clear and concise, it's just not written for literature but more of a study in humanity. This book s...more
Matt Friedman
As outdated as it is, this is still a critical text, if only to observe a key moment in the history of the discipline. Highly influential, although some of Frazer's anti-Christian polemic has long since been refuted by secular as well as Christian scholarship.
Andrew
This book is swarming with folklore, mythology and animistic ritual examples. Pretty much the entire book is dedicated to short explanations of ritual practices from all over the globe. What it lacks is much in the way of a linear, coherent argument or point.
Steven
technically I stopped at page 202 (chapter 17, The Burden of Royalty). But since I don't see myself picking it up again in the foreseeable future, I'm taking it off my "currently reading"
Geoff
The Golden Bough is a classic survey of the nature of magical and religious belief across many cultures. It's extremely helpful in understanding religion and mythology.
Jay
I think I read almost all of the twelve-volume version. It was interesting but long and repetitive. It gets tedious that each minute point it illustrated with a whole list of repetitive examples. Abridged version definitely recommended.
I'm have no idea how accurate the examples or their interpretation are. It seems a lot less like the author is choosing & interpreting facts to push a thesis than other books of this kind.
It may or may not be good for facts about different cultures & defi...more
John Jamison
Enormous and almost impossible to read cover to cover, but that won't stop you from finding lots of fascinating material. Start with those chapters that you think will speak to you, and they probably will. Once you've read a bit, you'll understand how this book became one of the most influential books in postmodern thought. Anyone interested in the subjects of the history of religion, comparative culture or anthropology will be hard pressed to not include this book in their upcoming thesis, serm...more
Winter Reading Pr...: Online editions 1 6 Oct 03, 2013 06:47PM
Giant Text... 5 36 Jul 05, 2013 08:32AM
nyaze fori 1 9 Sep 16, 2011 02:08AM
  • The White Goddess: A Historical Grammar of Poetic Myth
  • Primitive Mythology (The Masks of God, #1)
  • Shamanism: Archaic Techniques of Ecstasy (Bollingen)
  • From Ritual to Romance
  • Gods and Myths of Northern Europe
  • Structural Anthropology
  • The Pagan Religions of the Ancient British Isles: Their Nature and Legacy
  • Magick: Liber ABA: Book 4
  • The Nag Hammadi Library
  • The Golden Dawn: The Original Account of the Teachings, Rites, and Ceremonies of the Hermetic Order
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abra-Melin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • Hamlet's Mill: An Essay Investigating  the Origins of Human Knowledge & Its Transmission Through Myth
  • Aradia: Gospel of the Witches
  • The Language of the Goddess
  • Patterns of Culture
  • Ecstasies: Deciphering the Witches' Sabbath
Scottish social anthropologist influential in the early stages of the modern studies of mythology and comparative religion.
More about James George Frazer...
The Golden Bough. A Study in Magic and Religion: Volume 1 The Illustrated Golden Bough: A Study in Magic and Religion The Golden Bough. A Study In Magic And Religion: Part 1. The Magic Art And The Evolution Of Kings. Volume 1 The New Golden Bough The Golden Bough. A Study In Magic And Religion: Part 4. Adonis, Attis, Osiris. Volume 2

“Small minds cannot grasp great ideas; to their narrow comprehension, their purblind vision, nothing seems really great and important but themselves.” 15 likes
“By religion, then, I understand a propitiation or conciliation of powers superior to man which are believed to direct and control the course of nature and of human life. Thus defined, religion consists of two elements, a theoretical and a practical, namely, a belief in powers higher than man and an attempt to propitiate or please them. Of the two, belief clearly comes first, since we must believe in the existence of a divine being before we can attempt to please him. But unless the belief leads to a corresponding practice, it is not a religion but merely a theology; in the language of St. James, “faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.” In other words, no man is religious who does not govern his conduct in some measure by the fear or love of God. On the other hand, mere practice, divested of all religious belief, is also not religion. Two men may behave in exactly the same way, and yet one of them may be religious and the other not. If the one acts from the love or fear of God, he is religious; if the other acts from the love or fear of man, he is moral or immoral according as his behaviour comports or conflicts with the general good.” 8 likes