The Best of Jack Vance

The Last Castle (1966)
Abercrombie Station (1952)
The Moon Moth (1961)
Rumfuddle (1973)
Published July 2nd 1979 by Pocket (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Best of Jack Vance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best of Jack Vance

K. Axel
This is another of those books that has just been waiting for me to read them. I bought it before reading any of Vance's Dying Earth books... but now that I've read some of them, it is time to dive into his science fiction.

This is a review-in-progress and I will review the stories as I find time to read them.

Sail 25 is what I would call classic science fiction. It is set in the early stage of space exploration and propose a strange (yet familiar) way of travelling through space. I say strange be...more
Gregory Rothbard
This is a collection of Jack Vance's short stories written between 1952 and 1973. Jack Vance illustrates that the great thing about Science Fiction is its ability to detach our minds from current reality, and allow us to examine the issues of the day, without creating the defensive arrogant pride that keeps us from truly seeing.

Here is what I thought of each story and the issues they propose-

(1962)Sail 25: (Technological Advances)
a short story about a voyage into deep outer space. The cadets a...more
Taylor
Vance's "The Moon Moth" was one of the two best short stories I read in the Science Fiction Hall of Fame. I don't know if I would like his longer stuff, but I really like the short stories. The focus is on the societies and the characters are used to show how the society really works.
Keith Davis
"The Moon Moth" is probably Vance's best story, containing several brilliant ideas that a lesser writer would have spread over multiple stories. "The Last Castle" is also a classic.
Richard
Short stories, some good some average.
Michael Pryor
Fey,spiky, inimitable.
Brian
Brian is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2014
Justin Alexander
Justin Alexander marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Zack Raper
Zack Raper marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
K
K marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
David
David added it
Aug 14, 2014
Roi
Roi marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Tyler Fenske
Tyler Fenske marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Ziva
Ziva marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Alisha Abner
Alisha Abner marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Tobias Colvin
Tobias Colvin marked it as to-read
Srfletcher
Srfletcher marked it as to-read
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Helena
Helena marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Bea
Bea added it
Aug 08, 2014
James Brookes
James Brookes marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
thecryptile
thecryptile marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Aka John Holbrooke Vance, Peter Held, John Holbrook, Ellery Queen, John van See, Alan Wade.

The author was born in 1916 and educated at the University of California, first as a mining engineer, then majoring in physics and finally in journalism. During the 1940s and 1950s, he contributed widely to science fiction and fantasy magazines. His first novel, 'The Dying Earth', was published in 1950 to gr...more
More about Jack Vance...
The Dying Earth Tales of the Dying Earth: The Dying Earth/The Eyes of the Overworld/Cugel's Saga/Rhialto the Marvellous Suldrun's Garden (Lyonesse, #1) The Eyes of the Overworld The Green Pearl (Lyonesse, #2)