Start by marking “The Best of Jack Vance” as Want to Read:

The Last Castle (1966)
Abercrombie Station (1952)
The Moon Moth (1961)
Rumfuddle (1973)
Published July 2nd 1979 by Pocket (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Best of Jack Vance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best of Jack Vance

K. Axel
This is another of those books that has just been waiting for me to read them. I bought it before reading any of Vance's Dying Earth books... but now that I've read some of them, it is time to dive into his science fiction.

This is a review-in-progress and I will review the stories as I find time to read them.

Sail 25 is what I would call classic science fiction. It is set in the early stage of space exploration and propose a strange (yet familiar) way of travelling through space. I say strange be
Gregory Rothbard
This is a collection of Jack Vance's short stories written between 1952 and 1973. Jack Vance illustrates that the great thing about Science Fiction is its ability to detach our minds from current reality, and allow us to examine the issues of the day, without creating the defensive arrogant pride that keeps us from truly seeing.

Here is what I thought of each story and the issues they propose-

(1962)Sail 25: (Technological Advances)
a short story about a voyage into deep outer space. The cadets a
Brian
I loved it. I tried to read some Jack Vance stories a few years ago, and I think I just wasn't in the right frame of mind or something, because they really rubbed me the wrong way that time, and this time I couldn't get enough. There's something about the tone of the stories that makes it seem like he's not taking anything too seriously. I think I had been reading Gene Wolfe and the contrast was kind of jarring. But this time, I really appreciated the tone.

Vance's writing is great. His use of l
Speedy
Libro regular, pero quizás lo que sucede es que ya no me llena el estilo. En ningún caso alcanza las cimas de "Planeta Azul", pues son cuentos bastante mas simplistas, en términos de las relaciones entre los personajes y sus reacciones. Iba a darle menos estrellas, pero el cuento "Mariposa Lunar" me devolvió el Vance que recordaba y elevó el promedio del libro.
Taylor
Vance's "The Moon Moth" was one of the two best short stories I read in the Science Fiction Hall of Fame. I don't know if I would like his longer stuff, but I really like the short stories. The focus is on the societies and the characters are used to show how the society really works.
Keith Davis
"The Moon Moth" is probably Vance's best story, containing several brilliant ideas that a lesser writer would have spread over multiple stories. "The Last Castle" is also a classic.
Richard
Short stories, some good some average.
Michael Pryor
Fey,spiky, inimitable.
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Ryan Curry
Ryan Curry marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Darlene Reilley
Darlene Reilley marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Keith Clasen
Keith Clasen marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Meliae Sybella
Meliae Sybella marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Tyler Stremming
Tyler Stremming marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Dieter
Dieter marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Daniel Cooper
Daniel Cooper marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Yvonne Du
Yvonne Du marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Best of L. Sprague de Camp
  • The Best of Robert Silverberg
  • The Best of John W. Campbell (US)
  • The Best of C. M. Kornbluth
  • Think Like a Dinosaur and Other Stories
  • Eyes of Amber and Other Stories
  • Third from the Sun
  • Beaker's Dozen
Aka John Holbrooke Vance, Peter Held, John Holbrook, Ellery Queen, John van See, Alan Wade.

The author was born in 1916 and educated at the University of California, first as a mining engineer, then majoring in physics and finally in journalism. During the 1940s and 1950s, he contributed widely to science fiction and fantasy magazines. His first novel, 'The Dying Earth', was published in 1950 to gr
More about Jack Vance...
The Dying Earth (The Dying Earth, #1) Tales of the Dying Earth Suldrun's Garden (Lyonesse, #1) The Eyes of the Overworld (The Dying Earth, #2) The Green Pearl (Lyonesse, #2)