Start by marking “Una cuestión de honor” as Want to Read:
Una cuestión de honor

Una cuestión de honor (Grayson Brothers #1)

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  1,885 Ratings  ·  167 Reviews
Una historia inolvidable sobre el significado del honor, los vínculos familiares y el poder redentor del amor. El deseo prohibido entre Kyle y Evelyn amenaza con romper los lazos familiares y destrozar los sueños recientes, a menos que su amor tenga la fuerza suficiente para superar todos los obstáculos.
Paperback
Published September 26th 2006 by del Nuevo Extremo (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Una cuestión de honor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Una cuestión de honor

Nuria Llop
Mar 05, 2017 Nuria Llop rated it really liked it
(17ª del Reto Rita)
Una muy buena novela de las que quedan en el recuerdo y con la que he soltado alguna lagrima (algo que me cuesta cada vez más cuando leo). No por la historia de amor ni por ciertas descripciones dramáticas (crudas y reales) en relación a momentos bélicos, sino porque toca de lleno el tema de la lealtad, uno de los que a mí siempre me conmueve. Objetivamente, creo que es una novela de 5 estrellas y merecedora de un RITA (Mejor 1ª novela en 2003), si le resto 1 es porque tiene
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Fredonia, New York, August 1870

He always knew he’d come back. Everything he’d ever wanted was here.

Shades of Honor is the first book in the Grayson Brothers series. It’s a post Civil War romance, this first book being the eldest brother’s story. Radford is tired of running from the nightmares of death, pain, and destruction, and returns home to work with his brothers at the family’s lumber mill. But he arrives to find that running kept him away too long and he may no longer be welcomed home.
Cove
Lisa Kay
saw mill

★★★☆ (This is a review of the audiobook.) First, let me tell you that I’m really NOT a fan of the “loving two brothers” theme. Keep that in mind as you read this review.

While I liked Julia Motyka’s lovely voice narrating this story, her cadence was just too slow for my ear. Speeding it up helped a lot. (Thank goodness for technology.) I also felt some of her delivery was a little too “cheesy” or melodramatic, as Dhes points out in her review. Of course, the book itself is a bit melodrama
Jonetta
The set up
When Radford Grayson returned home to New York at the end of the Civil War, he was a troubled man. As the oldest of the four brothers, it was expected that he would help his father with the family sawmill business but he left soon after. Now he's returned home after five years with his four-year old daughter, Rebecca, but his younger brother, Kyle, doesn't receive him with open arms. He's had to manage the business following their father's death and resents Radford showing up now that
Donna
Nov 24, 2013 Donna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, western
Somehow this book was recommended as a clean romance... Wrong! The writer is talented and crafted a great tale of haunted pasts, friends, and family. You can't help but be drawn into this man and his frightened daughter. And what woman wouldn't connect with a tomboy finally being made to feel attractive. So why only 2 stars? Because it is not clean. If this is what is now referred to as "young adult", then I want no part of it. Just because she doesn't describe in detail the actual final union, ...more
Carolyn F.
Previous notation regarding Kindle book I'm taking a break. I'm only about 28% in and I'm so bored reading this book that I'm going to start something else and come back to it.

Starting the book via audiobook. Maybe that will make the difference.
It did make a difference. I enjoyed this audiobook a whole lot more than when I attempted to read the Kindle book. The narration by Julia Motyka was excellent. The romance was good, I only wish the hero would have gotten his poop together sooner. Too muc
Julie Ramsey
Sep 03, 2012 Julie Ramsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: done
Shades of Honor

Going back to where you came from is sometimes the hardest thing to do. Radford Grayson does just that in this story of returning to your roots and facing your past. He brings with him his four year old motherless, fearful daughter Rebecca. Radford comes home to Fredonia, New York in 1870 after years of staying away- 1st during the war and then trying to fight his post war memories. He comes back home to his three brothers Kyle, Boyd and Duke to help run the family sawmill. Kyle
Liloshadow (ReNee)
A Beautiful Tear Jerker...and a GREAT start to an Exciting Series.

I hope you have a box of kleenex's ready, because you will need it with this story.

I don't want to say too much about the story because I could easily give away spoilers with out meaning too. I will just say I loved all the characters especially the H/h. You feel their emotions and pain deeply. This is the first story I have read by this author and she does a really good job with character development. The story was well paced, an
Julz
Alicia
Jan 23, 2017 Alicia rated it liked it
Primera historia de Historica en la que me adentro siguiendo el consejo de Pikolina y A.S y la verdad es que no ha estado mal!! Aunque solo al principio he sido consciente de la epoca en la que se desarrollaba, es una historia que podría corresponder a cualquier tiempo. Tierna y bonita con personajes de los que no puedes evitar enamorarte, como me ha ocurrido con Rebeca o con Redgfor.
Peg
Mar 18, 2013 Peg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shades of Honor is a touching and magnificently crafted historical romance.

Radford, the eldest Grayson son, volunteered to take his father's place and fight in the Civil War. Radford realized, though, after the first battle, that he was not cut out to be a soldier, and by the time he returned home, he was plagued with nightmares. Although he was declared a hero for his bravery, he only felt shame and regret for his actions.

Kyle Grayson, the second eldest son, begrudgingly took over the family's
One-Click
Audiobook

Narration - Julia Motyka - Pretty Good

This Series is based around the Civil War time period. Radford is the eldest of four sons and has returned from war but following his father's funeral, he disappears again only to return years later with a 4 year old daughter.

Evelyn, (Tomboy) is engaged to his brother Kyle and while she still spends her days dressed in her dad's altered breeches, she's definitely become a woman while Radford was gone.

This is a sweet story, albeit a little melodram
LAWonder10
Oct 31, 2012 LAWonder10 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am so discouraged a perfectly sweet and wonderful story was corrupted with a totally unnecessary explicit sex scene. The one of the marriage night may have passed as slightly explicit but still unnecessary.
With that said, this was a well-written story of the struggles of a gallant man who daily struggles with post war distress. After his three year old daughter is abused by a nanny he goes back home to raise her near family and friends. He pledges her safety to her and himself.

He was raised ve
Carol Malone
Jan 27, 2013 Carol Malone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What do you do when the only comfort after a bitter life of war hell is the comforting hand of a sweet woman, Evelyn, the fiancee of your brother? But that's the dilemma Radford Grayson finds himself facing. Coming back from the slaughter of the Civil War hell with feelings of disgrace, vivid nightmares, and a four-year-old daughter in tow, Radford seeks the solace of home and the love of his mother and brothers and the hard work of the mill owned by the brothers to heal his broken heart. But hi ...more
Dana
Feb 19, 2012 Dana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read any real romance stories in years. I used to read them all the time but they became so predictable and each book seemed the same. This book perked my interest because of the soldier returned from war with issues, living with some who suffers these same problems. I found this book refreshing because it showed a softer side of a man. Your typical romance story is two tortured souls fighting to keep from each other. Even though this was in that manner it didn't seem to dwell on it so ...more
Dianne Sidebottom
How being in war affects the mind and emotions that you want to escape but the nightmares keep coming. especially so when you make friends with the so called enemy and a friend who doesn't know any better kills the friend in front of you.
the second son who has to carry on for the older son and his dreams die, and having younger brothers just see the changes in family dynamics. I gather the brothers get their own books to tell their story.
How a young girl of 4 drawers different emotions n behavio
Sugar
Dec 27, 2011 Sugar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, I found this book heartbreaking and depressing in parts. I cried at one point, but crying, to me is the mark of a well written novel. The emotion was realistic and palpable and I spent the day walking around with the Radford's totured soul on my mind. I downloaded the book because it was free, and even though I found it emotionally draining, as a writer I found it satisfying and well done. I will be buying the rest of these brothers stories because they are a family not easily forgotten.
Daneesha
Jun 11, 2009 Daneesha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i read this book in a couple of hours. it was a well written story. the hero, radford, comes home after fighting in the war...and he's got a little girl...he's been running away from personal demons and deserted his family...mainly his 3 other brothers. he also falls in love with his brother's fiance. it's heartbreaking how they try and fight it...but you know they can't. the book also has some great themes in forgiveness, honor, and love.
Nellie
Apr 01, 2012 Nellie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, and look forward to the rest of the series. Some language, but not much. Some sex, but not too explicit. I would say its a PG-13 level. I would pass on letting my teen daughter read it. Evelyn is soon to be married to Kyle Grayson, but then his brother, Radford comes home, and they are thrown together to work the livery. With a name like Radford it's easy to know what happens.
LadyCalico
Nov 09, 2011 LadyCalico rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this a sweet, enjoyable romance with exceptional attention to character development. Since I used to live within an hour's drive of Fredonia, NY and have many relatives living in the area, I spent a lot of time there and got an extra kick out of the familiar setting. I certainly would not mind reading other books by this author.
Tinsoni
May 11, 2015 Tinsoni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was filled with intricate prose, gentle emotions, and violent grief. I loved every moment of it. There were no scences that could be considered intimate but there was a great deal and love and romance....
Billie Jo
A good hometown book with two brothers who want to marry the same woman. When I listened to this book I often thought of those feel good movies on the Lifetime channel.
Marilyn Rondeau
Oct 30, 2013 Marilyn Rondeau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many years have gone by but Radford Grayson knows he must come home – he must reclaim his life – if not for himself, for his child Rebecca. With the end of the hideous Civil War, all Radford wants and needs is to be home with his three brothers to work in the family sawmill. Home and family, and a chance to heal, both for himself and especially for Rebecca. Unfortunately, the home and warmth of family he expected was not forthcoming from his younger brother Kyle who seemed both threatened and an ...more
Chanta Rand
Nov 04, 2013 Chanta Rand rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who knows me, knows I'm a fan of historical romance. I'm also a stickler for details and accuracy. When I read a historical romance, I want these elements plus a romance that sweeps me off my feet. This book did not disappoint. I've never read Wendy Lindstrom before but you can be sure I'll be reading all the Grayson Brothers romances. I came upon this author by accident, and I'm so thrilled I did.

The hero, Radford Grayson is a tortured man. His mind is ravaged by the horrors of the Civi
Anam
Dec 03, 2013 Anam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The minute the brothers started a fist fight over the heroine the books stars plummeted in my opinion! First of all thats crazy that as family they would come to blows like that......... For the author to take the book to the level that she did with that debacle was extreme. On top of that the plot was actually going fine up to great until she decided to flush it down the toilet in such a fashion.
D.J. Blackmore
Aug 31, 2014 D.J. Blackmore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'He knew he'd always come back. Everything he ever wanted was here.' The sharp smell of sawdust and the tang of steel against wood, alert the senses from the opening lines. Heartfelt description, neither overworked nor yet too raw, see Radford and Evelyn's romance as enjoyable from first to last. Wendy Lindstrom's Shades of Honor planes the emotions in a most enjoyable way.
steph
3.5 stars. The ending was a bit too much drama for me but then what did I expect in a book in which two brother's fight over the same girl. I am tempted to hunt down the second book though, just to see what happens to Kyle.
Sheila
Feb 26, 2012 Sheila rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book only 2 stars because it has too much language and insuating situations for my tastes. The book could have done fine without either. I won't recommend this author unless she cleans up her books.
Stephanie Hurt
Aug 16, 2012 Stephanie Hurt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very endearing story. It has a lot of different elements in it. I would love to read the rest of the Grayson Brothers series.
Brandi
Aug 29, 2013 Brandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truly romantic and heartbreaking. Radford And Rebecca nearly broke my heart with their little tragic story but the real sadness is the broken relationship between Radford and Kyle. Great book.
Help! Jaded Romance Novel Fan 2 14 May 20, 2014 06:01PM
  • Simmer All Night (Bad Luck Abroad, #1)
  • The Bride Price (Civil War Brides, #1)
  • Texas Hold Him
  • What Wild Moonlight
  • Love and War (Coltrane, #1)
  • Change of Heart
  • Touch The Sun (Beauvisage, #2)
  • The Mistress of Trevelyan (Trevelyan #1)
  • A Promise of Thunder (Horizon Set, #2)
  • An Undeniable Rogue (Rogues Club, #1)
  • The Third Son (Kings of Cardenas, #1)
  • The Wary Widow (Wetherby Brides, #3)
  • California Caress
  • Myriah Fire
  • The Impostor Bride (Dangerous Masquerade Collection, #3)
  • 11th Hour Rose (Langston Brothers #3)
  • Master of Paradise
  • All's Fair in Love & Seduction (The Elusive Lords, #2.5)
New York Times & USA Today Bestselling Author Wendy Lindstrom is known for the riveting emotional power of her work. Romantic Times has dubbed her “one of romance’s finest writers,” and readers rave about her enthralling characters and “masterfully crafted” stories. She is the creator of the “original Grayson Brothers” series that begins with RITA award-winner Shades of Honor. This critically ...more
More about Wendy Lindstrom...

Grayson Brothers (8 books)
  • The Longing (Grayson Brothers, #2)
  • Lips That Touch Mine (Grayson Brothers, #3)
  • Kissing in the Dark (Grayson Brothers, #4)
  • Sleigh of Hope (Grayson Brothers #5)
  • Leave it for the Rain (Grayson Brothers, #6)
  • When I Fall in Love (Grayson Brothers #7)
  • The Promise in Your Eyes (Grayson Brothers, #8)

“My memories make me angry, and sometimes, violent. Don’t risk yourself trying to rescue me from them. No one can.” 1 likes
“here,” his mother called, her face bright with excitement. Duke’s warrior-like frame rounded the corner first, and it was apparent that he’d been roused from” 0 likes