Start by marking “George and Martha Encore” as Want to Read:
George and Martha Encore

George and Martha Encore (George and Martha)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  247 ratings  ·  16 reviews
More stories about the two great chums: "The Dance Recital," "The French Lesson," "The Disguise," "The Beach," "The Garden."
Published April 27th 1977 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about George and Martha Encore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about George and Martha Encore

Goldilocks and the Three Bears by James MarshallGeorge and Martha by James MarshallMiss Nelson Is Missing! by Harry AllardRed Riding Hood by James MarshallSwine Lake by James Marshall
Best of James Marshall
30th out of 84 books — 3 voters
Madeline by Ludwig BemelmansBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
100 Great Children’s Books
71st out of 103 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Abbie Shawano
I thought that this story would be appealing to young readers, but not as much as other books would be. It does not look like a "chapter book" making it more likely to be ignored by transitional readers. There are not many words on each page, pictures are on each page, and a lot of dialogue is used. The book looks as if it would be for beginning readers, but the difficulty of some words, phrases, and the use of dialogue makes it better for older children who are transitioning readers.
The genre
Most characters run the risk of wearing out their welcome if they appear in too many books but George and Martha manage to stay fresh and funny each time.
Ashleigh
More stories about two great chums- hippopotamuses Martha and George. Story number one: dance recital. Martha and George are having a disagreement. George thinks dancing isn't fun but Martha has a big recital coming up.. Will she get George to go?

This collection of stories by James Marshall about the beloved Martha and George will never go out of style. They are stories about friendship and making compromises and supporting each other, all in a comedy fashion of course. The whimsical hippopotam
Samantha
Short stories about a pair of friends who are hippos.

The Dance Recital--George thinks dancing is dumb, but changes his mind after attending Martha's dance recital. He's so inspired he begins taking dance classes too and Martha is equally impressed with George's newly developed talent.

The French Lesson--George tricks Martha into asking him for a kiss in French and he sweetly plants one on her cheek.

The Disguise--George hopes to fool Martha by dressing up as an Indian chief, but she recognizes h
Jessica
Readers and families should know that the second story, "The Disguise" has one of the characters in a Native American head dress, as though it is a costume without significant cultural significance. I cannot recommend it for this reason.

The characters seem sweet and the stories move along very quickly, so we skipped this story and read the others.
Mitchell
A lot like the first book - I was glad to see George got to keep his gold tooth. A simple set of children's stories with okay art and text. Though really I don't see anything all that special. Except for the introduction in the edition I was reading - which clearly shows the author's impact.
Rachel Brokaw
This book is one of many books by James Marshall. These are easy children's books that would be aimed at the youngest children's grade level. They are not for children that are of a higher grade level because they are to help beginning readers excel in their reading.
Bree
Notes:
frog-and-toad-style stories but very unique
best for age 6+ not pre-K
friendship messages and humor without moralizing
love the simple illustrations and text
Megan Gitter
good for early elementary grades, examines the dynamics of friendships and shows the ups and downs of friendships and conflict resolution
kim
not as funny as it remembered it being when I was a kid. the short stories just don't have enough omph
Sandra
Bring back childhood memories or create new ones with these silly chums.
Stacey Mulholland
Jacob, my 4-year old, didn't like how short the stories are in this collection.
Debbie
Research studies demonstrate that stereotypical images have a negative impact on Native children. Because George is playing Indian in GEORGE AND MARTHA ENCORE, I cannot in good conscience recommend it.

A scan of one page is here:
Kelly
I love George and Martha. This isn't my favorite of their stories, but you just can't go wrong with George and Martha!
Emely
These are funny short stories and they all seem to have an important lesson in the end.
Diana Pettis
guided reading level text L.

Good short stories about friends.
Brianna
Brianna marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
  • Race You to Bed
  • Cdb!
  • Little Fur Family
  • Lovable Lyle
  • The New Potty (Little Critter)
  • Miss Lina's Ballerinas
  • There's Going to Be a Baby
  • Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm
  • Brownie & Pearl Hit the Hay
  • Edwina, the Dinosaur Who Didn't Know She Was Extinct
  • Gilbert Goldfish Wants a Pet
  • Hugs from Pearl
  • How the Dinosaur Got to the Museum
  • Hip and Hop, Don't Stop!
  • Bill and Pete Go Down the Nile
  • The Stupids Die (The Stupids, #3)
James Edward Marshall (October 10, 1942 – October 13, 1992), who also wrote as Edward Marshall, was a children's author and illustrator.

His father worked on the railroad, was a band member in the 1930s, and his mother sang in the local church choir. His family later moved to Beaumont, Texas. Marshall said: "Beaumont is deep south and swampy and I hated it. I knew I would die if I stayed there so I
More about James Marshall...

George and Martha (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • George and Martha: The Complete Stories of Two Best Friends
  • George and Martha: Full of Surprises
  • George and Martha: One More Time
  • George and Martha Two Great Friends Early Reader
  • George and Martha: The Best of Friends Early Reader
George and Martha: The Complete Stories of Two Best Friends Goldilocks and the Three Bears George and Martha The Three Little Pigs Red Riding Hood