Illuminata: Thoughts, Prayers, Rites of Passage

Illuminata: Thoughts, Prayers, Rites of Passage

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  1,171 ratings  ·  76 reviews
Marianne Williamson's bestselling A Return to Love ended with a prayer in which she asked God to help us "find our way home, from the pain to peace, from fear to love, from hell to Heaven." Now, in this stunning new collection of thoughts, prayers, and rites of passage, Marianne Williamson returns to prayer.

Prayer is practical, Williamson tells us. "To look to God is to lo...more
Published November 15th 1994 by Random House

Madison
Amazing!!!! Whenever I need something I just can't find anywhere else, I always reach for this book.........
Gayle
I was looking for a book of prayers and found this in the second hand book store. She has some beautiful prayers in here that say what your heart is saying when you do not have the words. She has daily prayers, prayers for difficult situations, a prayer for your child that I prayed often over one of mine. I keep it by my bedside and often read the prayers. Oprah quotes her prayers often I've noticed.
Dawn
Jan 05, 2008 Dawn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Shirley
This book has prayers for every kind of celebration. The divorce prayer and ceremony is one every person who is going through a divorce should read and do. There are prayers for the world, your enemies, your pets etc. Only Marianne Williamson can invoke such intention in her prayers, she gets to the heart and moves you.
Suzanne Kittrell
This is the second time through this book for me. I keep it on my bedstand because it is better than aspirin for what ails you. Very soothing and comforting any time of day but especially in the middle of the night.
Sharon
Beautiful prayers for many every day situations. The prayer for our children is wonderful. There are prayers for a new day, prayers for achievement at work, etc. Non denominational.
Sandy Markley klieger
I love this book! It has prayers for many situations. I especially love the morning and evening prayers. I keep them on my bedside table and read them often.
Yelda
Illuminata is a beautiful book of what I would call “secular” prayers by one of the most acclaimed spiritual writers of our time, Marianne Williamson. There is no mention of a prophet or religious lingo, just God and the contemplation to reach him with these words. There are prayers for everything you could imagine, healing, love, children, money, failure, achievement and work, daily prayers and renewal prayers. The prayers are as powerful as those of the three monotheistic traditions, yet they...more
Linda
Love this book - keep it beside my nightstand.
Helynne
This was a lovely experience as an audio book because Marianne Williamson's voice is so sincere and soothing as she reads through these gentle prayers that are on a variety of topics. However, it's nice to have a hard copy of the book as well for frequent future reference. Williamson's overall premise is that life is all about love, and that a life without heart is a life without life force (or chi, as the Chinese call it). She explains her choice of the book's title in Chapter 2: "Illumination...more
Etherealfire
I'm not sure why this didn't make my read list before as I read this book and ate it up in the mid nineties. A simple and beautiful call to prayer. As with practically every book listed in my "read" section I'm completely riffing on the dates read since I haven't the faintest clue about the exact dates.
Alcqueline
This is one of my daily reader books. It helps keep me spiritually focused, balanced and open-minded for what is coming my way. Also, it helps me focus more on how to better interpret stressful situations in my life. It is actively assisting me to eliminate some of my negative behaviors. I recommend this book to anyone who is looking to become more spiritually in tune with themselves and others.
Tina
This book is always by my side of the bed, has been for years now. Marianne has a very efficient way of communicating, but you will have to see for yourself. I also like the fact that no matter what problem you need relief for, its usually there in a simple prayer and when you read it, you are capable of putting things into better perspective, finding a way back to Love, Harmony and Peace!!!
Bridget
I keep reading and re-reading this. Marianne has such an eloquent writing style and manages to say, with bluntness and sincerity, what many of us have been waiting and needing to hear. She is a master of putting thoughts to words, which is one reason that her prayers are so meaningful and beautiful.
Amy Terhorst
Although I personally have to change some of the terminology to feel comfortable, Marianne Williamson presents beautiful ceremonies and rituals to mark important times of life. I have used this book for my own wedding, separation from relationship, and so much more.
Marjorie
Some great prayers on many different topics. This is a good book for people who have trouble coming up with the "right words" in a prayer, or maybe need help beginning to pray because they have never prayed before. Her prayers are beautiful.
Suzanne
I read from this book every day. It has broadened, blessed, and enlightened my spiritual journey a great deal. I have given several copies out to people who have ALL said that it has blessed them as well.
Sean Barton
For those that want/need a little something to start your day, end your day, or for that certain moment, circumstance...prayers, reflection, meditation, a time to just be, this is that blueprint for creation.
Judith
Listening in on the fervent prayers of another person was thought provoking & uplifting. Marianne lost me at the end with her rituals to honor life passages, although they were worth a read.
Soliel
This book is exceptional for meditation, prayer and thoughts. It is one of my books that has moved with me all over the world and is so well used it is held together with elastic bands.
Sylvia
May 22, 2009 Sylvia added it
A book I refer to from time to time, especially when I want to insert something special into somebody's birthday, baby, anniversary, or sympathy card. Thought-provoking and beautiful...
Lois Hughes
This is a beautiful book filled with all sort of wonderful things. The writing comes from the heart and is thought-provoking. The prayers are intimate and soulful. Highly recommended.
Maralee
The morning and evening prayers are so beautiful. It's a go to, I always feel peaceful after turning those pages. It's something to keep close by, for the good times and bad times.
Grace Foster
I've read this book before and found myself taking to it again...it is a book of self awareness and prayer. It is not for everyone, but I feel so at peace after reading it...
Deb
Great Book. Daily prayers written with an understanding of the power of prayer. Additional prayers for milestones in life. A book to have in bookform not an e-reader book.
Carmen
I think this is a great book of prayers, especially for those just learning to pray and are not sure what to say. It's a good guide to get you started.
Stephen
gorgeous beautiful real prayers......come to think of it, where is my copy of this book....was a gift from one of my dearest friends... uh oh, where is it????
Anita
I am a Unitarian Universalist and still found this book to be so beautiful and valuable - prayers can always be adjusted slightly for our own purposes.
Dawn
Read and re-read, given as gifts. A very nice collection of non-religious prayers, in the event you can't come up with your own.
Cassandra Willoughby
My first intro to Marianne Williamson, although the Christian message was a little strong for my taste, I could see past it and enjoyed it.
Naomi
My copy has seen better days. That is because I have read the prayers in this book time and time again. One of my favorite books ever.
  • Angel Therapy: Healing Messages for Every Area of Your Life
  • Something More: Excavating Your Authentic Self
  • Dreams Like Mine
  • There's a Spiritual Solution to Every Problem
  • Entering the Castle: An Inner Path to God and Your Soul
Marianne Williamson is a spiritual activist, author, lecturer and founder of The Peace Alliance, a grass roots campaign supporting legislation currently before Congress to establish a United States Department of Peace. She is also the founder of Project Angel Food, a meals-on-wheels program that serves homebound people with AIDS in the Los Angeles area.[2] She has published nine books, including f...more
More about Marianne Williamson...
A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of "A Course in Miracles" Woman's Worth The Gift of Change: Spiritual Guidance for Living Your Best Life Everyday Grace: Having Hope, Finding Forgiveness And Making Miracles A Course In Weight Loss: 21 Spiritual Lessons for Surrendering Your Weight Forever

“No conventional therapy can release us from a deep and abiding psychic pain. Through prayer we find what we cannot find elsewhere: a peace that is not of this world.” 10 likes
“There is nowhere you need go to find God, for God is within you. There is no one you need ask if you are good enough, for He has already established He is exceedingly well pleased.” 7 likes