Start by marking “Teaching Children to Care: Management in the Responsive Classroom” as Want to Read:
Teaching Children to Care: Management in the Responsive Classroom

Teaching Children to Care: Management in the Responsive Classroom

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  207 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
This remarkable book speaks to the heart of every classroom teacher offering a proven, practical approach that can help reduce the exhausting and often overwhelming classroom management problems confronting today's K-8th grade teachers. Teaching Children to Care captures the spirit and energy of young children. It demonstrates their capabilities for embracing generous, com ...more
Published March 1st 1992 by Center for Responsive Schools Inc

To ask other readers questions about Teaching Children to Care, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching Children to Care

Zach
Not a book for people who mistake cynicism for insight, wisdom, or profound feeling. (You know who you are, don't you?)

If you teach through your heart and would like to become even more effective, then this is the book for you.

The Holy Grail to creating a responsive classroom (social and emotional learning). Ruth Charney fills this book with practical theory/philosophy backed by John Dewey & Erik Erikson (et al). She extrapolates the details with many concrete examples.

If there's a book avai
Barb Middleton
Feb 13, 2012 Barb Middleton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional, adult
Ever seen that teacher who has developed a classroom community of students that is filled with an eagerness for learning and joy at being at school? Ever wonder how they do that?

The book, Teaching children to Care: Classroom Management for Ethical and Academic Growth, K-8, by Ruth Sidney Charney, shows educators how they can do this in their classrooms. In order to build a community, educators need to use positive language and have a clear sense of classroom expectations and routines. Many examp
Elmhogar
Looks like Namazzi's teachers are already using many of the techniques from this book. Not sure it's working. Am reading this b/c of an incident that happened at the end of the year with a girl on the fringe who stood up for herself and was turned on by a 5th grade mob while a substitute teacher looked on agog. Namazzi says the sub's lack of authority created a dangerous power vacuum (paraphrasing) - I think as 11 year olds they should be able to see each other as a community already and resolve ...more
Stephanie
Nov 07, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
Essential book to read for elementary classroom management.
Jan Zeiger
Dec 26, 2010 Jan Zeiger rated it it was amazing
I wish this were required reading for all pre-service teachers. I've used Charney's ideas since I began my teaching career in 1999. Her approach is VERY effective. If you're looking for an approach to discipline that is loving, proactive, and student-centered, you've found the right book. She takes the time to teach children how to be kind to teach other. She creates an environment that allows ALL the children to feel cared for and appreciated, and as a result, behavior problems are minimal.
Jeff
Nov 04, 2010 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
Charney has written the bible of how to build social learning into the curriculum of a school. Her text should be essential reading for any elementary school teacher. Teaching Children to Care is filled with the specifics of how to create structures to help children build the social skills they need to be successful in life. In addition, she uses lots of examples to give the structures a face.
Klyon
Dec 10, 2014 Klyon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely fantastic book. Worhtwhile activites and structures to implement in the classroom.
Marianne
May 10, 2015 Marianne rated it really liked it
Absolutely wonderful thanks to my friend and colleague, Ula, for recommending I read this. It has been a constant companion by my bed, reminding me before I fall asleep, what it means to be caring, compassionate, and how to achieve this with consistency and love. Now going to buy my own copy to keep with my Gideon's.
Kari
Nov 07, 2011 Kari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
Here's a book every teacher, new or seasoned, should read. It offers a perspective on teaching and managing the classroom that is refreshingly open minded. It shows a democratic classroom in action as students learn to care for each other, their classroom and their learning.
Kate
Aug 13, 2007 Kate rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers, day care folks, parents(?)
I re-read this every summer to gear up for the new school year. It is fabulous and indispensable. Reminders for new and old teachers on creating a community with children, helping them treat each other kindly and helping them behave appropriately, managing materials, etc.
Betsy
Sep 13, 2009 Betsy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
currently re-reading. It's a classroom management textbook but reads so easily. I find it a good way to refocus on teaching. I also have a new inexperienced teaching partner so I want to raise my consciousness and pick out ideas to share with him.
Danette
I read this for my Classroom Management class and I loved it. I really believe in the Responsive Classroom approach to teaching and learning and this book is one of the foundation books for the theory of Responsive Classroom.
Colleen
Jul 16, 2010 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book on positive discipline and classroom management. I think this book would be especially helpful for upper-elementary teachers, but early primary teachers can learn a lot from it too.
Monique
May 21, 2012 Monique rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was another required reading for one of my college courses, but it did not feel like the typical text book. In fact, I enjoyed this book a ton! I use this book as a resource for other classes.
Dayla
Feb 11, 2013 Dayla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership, students
By far, THE best book on classroom management. But anyone I ever recommended it to, never really liked it as much as I did. It seemed so clearly written and self affirming.
Missy
Jul 26, 2012 Missy rated it it was amazing
I read this book for my college education class and have been hooked ever since. The ideas are practical for the classroom and make sense. It's just good teaching practice!
Abby
Jul 09, 2007 Abby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome ideas for classroom management and character education. The ideas in this book really changed how I approached management.
Amanda
Jun 18, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best "teaching book" I have read, but it's so much more than that.
Donna
Jun 05, 2008 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many great ideas for the classroom teacher and parents alike
Heather Wilson
Mar 03, 2008 Heather Wilson rated it really liked it
Great ideas to help build classroom unity and commmunity.
Katie
Jan 15, 2010 Katie added it
A must-read every summer!
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Elizabeth Brock
Elizabeth Brock marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Jaclyn Taylor
Jaclyn Taylor marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Jeremiah Henderson
Jeremiah Henderson is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2016
Beatriz Flores
Beatriz Flores marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Kelly
Kelly is currently reading it
May 28, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
  • The First Six Weeks of School
  • The Morning Meeting Book
  • Yardsticks: Children in the Classroom Ages 4-14
  • Reading with Meaning: Teaching Comprehension in the Primary Grades
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension for Understanding and Engagement
  • Words Their Way: Word Study for Phonics, Vocabulary, and Spelling Instruction, [Book, CD & DVD]
  • Guided Reading: Good First Teaching for All Children
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • The Daily Five
  • How's It Going?: A Practical Guide to Conferring with Student Writers
  • The Next Step in Guided Reading: Focused Assessments and Targeted Lessons for Helping Every Student Become a Better Reader
  • The Art of Teaching Reading