Teaching Children to Care: Management in the Responsive Classroom

Teaching Children to Care: Management in the Responsive Classroom

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  6 reviews
This remarkable book speaks to the heart of every classroom teacher offering a proven, practical approach that can help reduce the exhausting and often overwhelming classroom management problems confronting today's K-8th grade teachers. Teaching Children to Care captures the spirit and energy of young children. It demonstrates their capabilities for embracing generous, com...more
Published October 1st 1992 by Northeast Foundation for Children

To ask other readers questions about Teaching Children to Care, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching Children to Care

Jan Zeiger
I wish this were required reading for all pre-service teachers. I've used Charney's ideas since I began my teaching career in 1999. Her approach is VERY effective. If you're looking for an approach to discipline that is loving, proactive, and student-centered, you've found the right book. She takes the time to teach children how to be kind to teach other. She creates an environment that allows ALL the children to feel cared for and appreciated, and as a result, behavior problems are minimal.
Kate
Aug 13, 2007 Kate rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers, day care folks, parents(?)
I re-read this every summer to gear up for the new school year. It is fabulous and indispensable. Reminders for new and old teachers on creating a community with children, helping them treat each other kindly and helping them behave appropriately, managing materials, etc.
Dayla
By far, THE best book on classroom management. But anyone I ever recommended it to, never really liked it as much as I did. It seemed so clearly written and self affirming.
Missy
I read this book for my college education class and have been hooked ever since. The ideas are practical for the classroom and make sense. It's just good teaching practice!
Heather Wilson
Great ideas to help build classroom unity and commmunity.
Katie
Jan 15, 2010 Katie added it
A must-read every summer!
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Carolan Weyn
Carolan Weyn marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Lita O'neill
Lita O'neill marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Amy
Amy is currently reading it
Jun 28, 2014
Katie Kirkland
Katie Kirkland marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Amy Bowker
Amy Bowker marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Jalice
Jalice marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Tamara Easton
Tamara Easton marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Betsy
Betsy marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Nctejana
Nctejana marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Nicole Ricca
Nicole Ricca marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2013
Laura added it
Oct 10, 2013
Lisa
Lisa added it
Sep 22, 2013
Svea
Svea marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Teaching Children to Care: Classroom Management for Ethical and Academic Growth, K-8 Geometric Group Theory: Proceedings of a Special Research Quarter at the Ohio State University, Spring 1992