Start by marking “Wild Ride: The Rise and Tragic Fall of Calumet Farm, Inc., America's Premier Racing Dynasty” as Want to Read:

An award-winning writer chronicles the tragic story behind the downfall of horse racing's crown jewel.

Founded in 1924 by Chicago mogul William Monroe Wright, Calumet Farm was to the world of thoroughbred racing what the New York Yankees are to baseball -- a sports dynasty. The stable bred so many superstars that it became the standard by which all achievements were measure
Published December 15th 1995 by Holt Paperbacks (first published April 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Wild Ride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Ride

Gerri Leen
Jan 29, 2013 Gerri Leen rated it it was ok
Wild Ride starts with a bang and I thought as I read the first part that it would be a stellar book. The first part deals with the death of Alydar, my preferred horse in the hard-fought rivalry during 1978's Triple Crown races, and suggests his death was no accident. The next two to three hundred pages deal with the origins of Calumet farm, which is interesting, and then get into the family dynamics, which is not so. For a book about a horse farm, there are surprisingly few moments with horses i ...more
Ronda
Jun 28, 2009 Ronda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This was a truly great read.

It's a fact based book on one of Kentucky's premier Thoroughbred farms, rise and fall.

It also answers questions as to what happend to the great race horse Alydar.

I couldn't put it down.

I recommend to everyone.

Happy reading!
Kate
Aug 24, 2011 Kate rated it it was amazing
This was a great book for anyone in the horse racing industry. I read this while I was working for an insurance company that insured Thoroughbred racers. Bought it for my dad and he loved it as well. Great non-fiction read!
Kim B
Wild Read!
Having grown up riding saddlebreds and familiar with Kentucky (lifetime member of the American Saddlebred Horse Association), this was a fascinating back drop to horse country history! Even got my horse trainer interested in reading it.
Claire
Mar 12, 2017 Claire rated it really liked it
Wild Ride: The Rise and Tragic Fall of Calumet Farm, Inc., America's Premier Racing Dynasty is a wonderful book on the field of Equine Business. The book takes place at the dynasty of Calumet; the home of successful racehorses for sixty years. The horses there include Alydar, Citation, and Whirlaway.

Why did I give it four stars?
When I first started this book, I was ready to read about the racehorses careers. I wanted to read about racing experiences from Alydar and Affirmed, Citation, and of
John
Aug 05, 2013 John rated it really liked it
Sex it up~~Sex 'till you can't stand up~~Sex 'till you die~~

Book Review of Wild Ride~~@8.5.2013~~~

Alydar was one of the premier race horses and stud horses of our lifetimes. A magnificent racing thrill, in the breeding shed after his career, he ginned out more Grouped winners than anyone of recent memory~~save Seattle Slew.

His life was tragic as he became a shattered chess piece in a sordid game of bait and switch and physical abuse as a stallion.

Gorgeous Calumet Stables~~beloved to all in the b
Wally
Oct 31, 2014 Wally rated it really liked it
Maybe I was particularly fascinated with this because I lived in Lexington for a year in 1960, the Mrs. Markey era. Calumet was FABULOUS, and I used to say if I was re-incarnated I wanted to come back as a stud at Calumet. It was so interesting to read about the rise of Calumet and then to continue on to learn of the many many small and large events that spelled its Fall. It is well-written and well documented.
Katie
Oct 23, 2009 Katie rated it really liked it
intriguing read for anyone who knows even the littlest bit about American racing history and some of the great horses of the 70's and 80's. Made me want to head over to the Bluegrass and roam around Lexington! Although its a fairly dense book, it was an easy read in terms of keeping your attention and staying focused. Very well written and highly recommended!
Bryant Cornett
Oct 12, 2013 Bryant Cornett rated it it was amazing
It's been a few years since I read this book, but I still remember what a great story it was. I would definitely recommend this book for anyone with an interest in horses, Kentucky, the lives of the wealthy, the failures of family. In the backdrop of Kentucky bluegrass, this is an incredible story and we'll worth the read.
Carroll
Jan 22, 2009 Carroll rated it really liked it
I found this book very interesting especially after visiting Lexington with it's beautiful green rolling pastures and white fences. It is an inside story of the thoroughbred horse racing industry and the fall of the Calume Farm. A story of greed and the corruption that destroyed a landmark insntitution.
Shirley
Jul 15, 2016 Shirley rated it really liked it
If you did know this was non fiction you might think it was a thriller written by a good novelist. But alas it is a recounting of perhaps with the exception of the Madoff debacle the looting and destruction of the finest thoroughbred horse farm in history. To read this account you get inside view of this industry.
Amber MacPherson
Sep 07, 2007 Amber MacPherson rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: horse racing enthusiasts, anyone who likes a good scandal
I used to follow horse racing quite a bit and picked up this book back then to learn more about Calumet Farm. Though it drags a bit in places with some dry business-speak, overall it is interesting and informative. I also recall it sounding pretty objective, but it's been a while.
Neil Crocker
Mar 29, 2014 Neil Crocker rated it it was ok
If this 400-pager was a 200-pager, I would recommend it. This book sort of tells us how Calumet Farms went down the drain during the 10-year period that the farm was run by JT Lundy. Except we never really do find out where all the money went.
Mitzi
Feb 13, 2013 Mitzi rated it really liked it
Inspiring, shocking, corruption in the Thoroughbred Horse Industry, one man whose wealth was built with hard work and determination, only to be destroyed by a later generation of family.
Nikki
Nov 16, 2014 Nikki rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read. Even though it's roughly 480 pages it goes quick. Those interested in Thoroughbred racing history will like it.
Heather
Apr 15, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
I read this several years ago, and just re-read it again. Enjoyed it even more the second time.
Sarah Roman
Apr 01, 2016 Sarah Roman rated it liked it
lot of facts about family and the rise and tragic fall of calumet farms
Karla Martinsen
if this is the truth, it angered me!
Alyazia
Feb 23, 2013 Alyazia rated it it was amazing
Managing a top racing stable in the UAE, Wild Ride was a page turner! Full of excitement with ups and downs of the racing industry, you are left dreaming.
Jeanne
Aug 05, 2007 Jeanne rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down. An introspective look at the horse racing industry, which is what it really is.
Emily
May 20, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it
This was pretty long, but very informational. I liked it because it drew the picture of how huge horse farms work/operate, and how rough they can be as well. Very good read!
Chrystal
Nov 17, 2012 Chrystal rated it really liked it
A good read only if you are old enough to remember when Alydar was racing and the sport was dominated by American old money owned racehorses.
Tammy
May 03, 2012 Tammy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: racing, nonfiction
Calumet played such an amazing role in racing lore. This book tells the stories of their glory days, as well as the heartbreaking story of the calumet fall from grace. It reads like a novel.
Kathleen
Nov 06, 2011 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Even if you know nothing about horses this book offers a look under the covers of the horse racing industry. Dry but great read
Stacy
Stacy rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2014
Suzie Martin
Suzie Martin rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2012
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2013
Jerry Torsney
Jerry Torsney rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2013
Valorie Rivero
Valorie Rivero rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2015
Crazy
Crazy rated it did not like it
May 07, 2015
  • Horse of a Different Color: A Tale of Breeding Geniuses, Dominant Females, and the Fastest Derby Winner Since Secretariat
  • Stud: Adventures in Breeding
  • Native Dancer: The Grey Ghost: Hero of a Golden Age
  • A Year at the Races: Reflections on Horses, Humans, Love, Money, and Luck
  • From My Hands to Yours: Lessons from a Lifetime of Training Championship Horses
  • The Horse God Built
  • Ruffian: A Race Track Romance
  • Secretariat
  • Ruffian: Burning From the Start
  • Crazy Good: The True Story of Dan Patch, the Most Famous Horse in America
  • Man o' War: A Legend Like Lightning
  • Complete Training of Horse and Rider in the Principles of Classical Horsemanship: In the Principles of Classical Horsemanship
  • Picking Winners: A Horseplayer's Guide
  • My Guy Barbaro: A Jockey's Journey Through Love, Triumph, and Heartbreak with America's Favorite Horse
  • Earthly Bodies & Heavenly Hair: Natural and Healthy Bodycare for Every Body
  • Funny Cide
  • How to Write and Sell Your First Novel
  • Field of Screams: Haunted Tales from the Baseball Diamond, the Locker Room, and Beyond