Start by marking “Wicca's Charm: Understanding the Spiritual Hunger Behind the Rise of Modern Witchcraft and Pagan Spirituality” as Want to Read:

3.02 of 5 stars 3.02  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  18 reviews
How Wiccan Spirituality Is Filling a Spiritual Hunger in America

Hundreds of thousands of people practice Wicca and other forms of modern Pagan spirituality in America today, and journalist Catherine Edwards Sanders wanted to understand why such belief systems are rapidly attracting followers. When a routine magazine assignment led her to realize that her stereotype of Wicc...more
Published September 20th 2005 by Shaw Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Wicca's Charm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wicca's Charm

Nicole Acheson
The author of this book is a Christian. Although she tries to be objective and explain to non-pagans what the tenets of the Wiccan religion and other pagan religions are and why Pre-Christian religion is becoming popular, she still has a bias tone in this book. As a Celtic pagan reading this book I noticed that she was using the tenets of the Wiccan religion and comparing it to Christianity, as a way for Christians to understand and possibly use this knowledge to convert pagans to Christianity....more
Bethany
I saw this book reviewed in Christianity Today, and thought it might be worth my time. Since I have friends who are Wiccans, this topic is nothing new to me. Even so, I was educated by Sanders’ work. She spends time studying Wicca and those who practice it by reading its literature, examining major themes, and interviews. It is a thoughtful, well-written journalistic work that happens to engage Wicca from a Christian perspective.

The most interesting thing about this book to me is that it is cata...more
Miss Jimenez
It was a good book considering who wrote it with some good points and you can really see how the author, despite her mistrust in the beginning, tries to understand the Pagan community. However, most of it is about Christianity. The interviews she decided to use for examples in the book felt like they were trying to show that Pagans are just amateurs that don't know what their doing despite that being totally wrong. As I read the whole book it felt like she was trying to convert me rather than he...more
MamaCache
The author wrote this book as a tool for Christians seeking to convert their Wiccan/Neo-Pagan friends and family members. Or to convince their teenage and young adult relatives that the Neo-Pagan path is a dangerous one that they'd best avoid.

She is completely unable to let go of her casual dismissal of the faiths she seeks to understand. Here is a story about a Wiccan, here's what this kook is seeking, and here's how Christianity would serve that need SO much better. I'm really glad I borrowed...more
Gaile
The title of this book is not only misleading but it is quite a maze to struggle through. The author has interviewed people interested in Wicca and Neo-Paganism. She claims what is practiced is not the old religions of Europe but were started by three men. She also writes that she has witnessed their rites and spells and come to the conclusion that too many teens are attracted to this. As Christians we should all try to bring them back to the arms of a loving Jesus Christ.
My opinion:
Teens will e...more
Ashley M.
Shawn Byrnes
So, without getting too too personal, I obviously got interested in Wicca and set out to see what it was about. I found this book, which I really only read because of the library's lack of wicca books. It was actually something different then what I had expected. The first chapter explained, in a basic nature, what Wicca was, then the remaining chapters were devoted to WHY people choose this religion. So, I guess it was kind of what I was looking for (the first chapter at least). So, I'm still r...more
Julie
I picked this up because a loved one is researching Wicca. It was written by a Christian journalist and what began as an assignment evolved into a book. It was well researched, fair and presented several views of wicca. What I enjoyed most was how she was able to bring it back to a search for Christ and how we all need to be better Christians and practice what the Savior taught and not be judgmental of others who are seeking for truth.
Matthew
This book was better than I expected. Of course some people will be insulted by the idea that anyone would have the audacity to point out the failures of any religion other than Christianity. This books biggest strength I think is in proving a primer on Wicca for those who know nothing about it. It also does an excellent job and pointing to area where the church has failed and left an opening for this sort of spirituality.
Arsie
I picked up this book thinking it would be an interesting conversation on why people are seeking other faiths (Wicca in particular). What I got instead was a book that explained a little about Wicca and a lot about how Jesus is the answer, skip Wicca, you obviously haven't tried hard enough at Christianity.

Skip this book.
Paula Kirman
Written from a Christian viewpoint to understand why Wicca and various forms of neo-Paganism are currently the fastest growing religions in America, the author comes to some surprising conclusions and is actually quite critical of the Church and Christians.
Arlene Allen
She got it wrong. Wiccan/pagan/witchcraft books are dead on the shelves these days. Fundies like her scared publishers and booksllers alike. I look forward to more on e-books. Where no one can see what you're buying, muwhahahahaha....
Soapykitty
I'm not a Christian so I didn't agree with everything the author said but I think this book explains Wicca perfectly.Although it bothered me that the author ignores the pagan roots of Christianity.
Patrick
Jul 18, 2011 Patrick marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Contrast Christianity with Wicca
I am learning more about the wiccan culture and religion that is alive in America today. I am curious to learn more about it's history as well as its current status.
Kristine McGuire
Well written by a Christian truly tries to understand where people are coming from in their spirituality.
Meg Elison
Absolute crap. Poor scholarship, bad interviews, and bigotry.
Regina Hunter
General knowledge, but not as good as it could have been.
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Mary
Mary is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2014
Kristi-Joy
Kristi-Joy marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
TinaG
TinaG added it
Jul 23, 2014
Rohini Aman
Rohini Aman marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Breaking the Spell: The Hidden Traps of Wicca (Dare 2 Dig Deeper Series)