Start by marking “Wicca's Charm: Understanding the Spiritual Hunger Behind the Rise of Modern Witchcraft and Pagan Spirituality” as Want to Read:

How Wiccan Spirituality Is Filling a Spiritual Hunger in America

Hundreds of thousands of people practice Wicca and other forms of modern Pagan spirituality in America today, and journalist Catherine Edwards Sanders wanted to understand why such belief systems are rapidly attracting followers. When a routine magazine assignment led her to realize that her stereotype of Wicc
Published September 20th 2005 by Shaw Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Wicca's Charm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wicca's Charm

Calvin Patterson
A good look at wicca from a well rounded christian

I know that this is the kind of book for Christians that will give them a perspective not common among them. As a atheist and a scientist I give this book three stars for its voice,style and well roundness. I did not expect heavy Christian tones when I picked it up and was hoping for some feeling of true interest from the author. Sadly I felt as if she pitted the pagan believers. The view of the pagans seemed as though these people where 'lost' a
Bethany
Jan 10, 2008 Bethany rated it really liked it
I saw this book reviewed in Christianity Today, and thought it might be worth my time. Since I have friends who are Wiccans, this topic is nothing new to me. Even so, I was educated by Sanders’ work. She spends time studying Wicca and those who practice it by reading its literature, examining major themes, and interviews. It is a thoughtful, well-written journalistic work that happens to engage Wicca from a Christian perspective.

The most interesting thing about this book to me is that it is cata
Kitty Jay
Apr 07, 2016 Kitty Jay rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
I picked up Catherine Sanders’s book Wicca’s Charm when I saw the subtitle, Understanding the Spiritual Hunger Behind the Rise of Modern Witchcraft and Pagan Spirituality. That’s an interesting line of inquiry! And when I opened it, I was bolstered by the fact that there were footnotes and what appeared to be actual research done. However, I was dismayed when I actually began reading.

Sanders should have begun her book with this: “This background may be of help to you as you look for a way to res
G.K. Hansen
Apr 11, 2017 G.K. Hansen rated it did not like it
Literally factually inaccurate in a provable way. Fails to actually engage with the issues the author herself cites as reasons people leave Christianity, despite claiming to do so. Seems to forget that people come to paganism from non-Christian backgrounds. Seems to forget non-Christian backgrounds exist. Does not realize paganism, Wicca, and witches are three different things. Poor research not just on modern neo-pagans and witches but on ancient ones and also her own religion. Is very condesce ...more
Gloria
Oct 06, 2015 Gloria rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone; druidic, Wiccan, Pagan and Christian background
Shelves: own, hardcopy, duncan-ga
Honestly, I got the book because of the cover. It's simple, yet beautiful. It draws your attention to the circle, the gem, and then the title.

And this has been a topic I was interested in, don't get me wrong. This is a Christian journalist's account of her research into the particular rites and rituals - and does include that it can be done by individuals. So there's a community component and an individualistic component.

The book has 10 chapters, including What is Wicca? The individual chapters
Ashley (Apt Reader)
Jun 14, 2011 Ashley (Apt Reader) rated it liked it
Arsie
Aug 17, 2013 Arsie rated it did not like it
Shelves: religion
I picked up this book thinking it would be an interesting conversation on why people are seeking other faiths (Wicca in particular). What I got instead was a book that explained a little about Wicca and a lot about how Jesus is the answer, skip Wicca, you obviously haven't tried hard enough at Christianity.

Skip this book.
Soapykitty
Sep 02, 2011 Soapykitty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
I'm not a Christian so I didn't agree with everything the author said but I think this book explains Wicca perfectly.Although it bothered me that the author ignores the pagan roots of Christianity.
Meg Elison
Aug 25, 2008 Meg Elison rated it did not like it
Shelves: crap
Absolute crap. Poor scholarship, bad interviews, and bigotry.
Nicole Acheson
Aug 09, 2011 Nicole Acheson rated it did not like it
The author of this book is a Christian. Although she tries to be objective and explain to non-pagans what the tenets of the Wiccan religion and other pagan religions are and why Pre-Christian religion is becoming popular, she still has a bias tone in this book. As a Celtic pagan reading this book I noticed that she was using the tenets of the Wiccan religion and comparing it to Christianity, as a way for Christians to understand and possibly use this knowledge to convert pagans to Christianity. ...more
Miss Jimenez
Apr 21, 2010 Miss Jimenez rated it it was ok
It was a good book considering who wrote it with some good points and you can really see how the author, despite her mistrust in the beginning, tries to understand the Pagan community. However, most of it is about Christianity. The interviews she decided to use for examples in the book felt like they were trying to show that Pagans are just amateurs that don't know what their doing despite that being totally wrong. As I read the whole book it felt like she was trying to convert me rather than he ...more
Casey F
Jun 02, 2016 Casey F rated it it was ok
The book is presented as a study on Wicca by an outsider. It starts off this way, but by the middle it is openly preaching about the rightness of Christianity and that Wiccans and other neo-Pagans are confused, misled, or even hypocritical. Phrases like "What Christians know differs from what neo-Pagans believe..." set a clear bias, which has no place in an academic text. The author seems especially biased against young people who practice Wicca, frequently insinuating that they are unable of ma ...more
Gaile
May 25, 2013 Gaile rated it did not like it
The title of this book is not only misleading but it is quite a maze to struggle through. The author has interviewed people interested in Wicca and Neo-Paganism. She claims what is practiced is not the old religions of Europe but were started by three men. She also writes that she has witnessed their rites and spells and come to the conclusion that too many teens are attracted to this. As Christians we should all try to bring them back to the arms of a loving Jesus Christ.
My opinion:
Teens will e
Shawn Byrnes
Jul 02, 2009 Shawn Byrnes rated it liked it
So, without getting too too personal, I obviously got interested in Wicca and set out to see what it was about. I found this book, which I really only read because of the library's lack of wicca books. It was actually something different then what I had expected. The first chapter explained, in a basic nature, what Wicca was, then the remaining chapters were devoted to WHY people choose this religion. So, I guess it was kind of what I was looking for (the first chapter at least). So, I'm still r ...more
Julie
Sep 11, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
I picked this up because a loved one is researching Wicca. It was written by a Christian journalist and what began as an assignment evolved into a book. It was well researched, fair and presented several views of wicca. What I enjoyed most was how she was able to bring it back to a search for Christ and how we all need to be better Christians and practice what the Savior taught and not be judgmental of others who are seeking for truth.
Matthew
Dec 14, 2009 Matthew rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
This book was better than I expected. Of course some people will be insulted by the idea that anyone would have the audacity to point out the failures of any religion other than Christianity. This books biggest strength I think is in proving a primer on Wicca for those who know nothing about it. It also does an excellent job and pointing to area where the church has failed and left an opening for this sort of spirituality.
Chandra Leigh
Jul 26, 2015 Chandra Leigh rated it did not like it
Clearly written as a tool to teach Christians how they might convince neo-pagans that they just didn't give Christianity enough of a chance. Lots of talking about what the bible says about the complaints of Wiccans, but doesn't deal with the realities they are facing. The author is very dismissive and imagines everyone is a little lost lamb who doesn't know what they're doing.
Paula Kirman
Nov 22, 2013 Paula Kirman rated it really liked it
Written from a Christian viewpoint to understand why Wicca and various forms of neo-Paganism are currently the fastest growing religions in America, the author comes to some surprising conclusions and is actually quite critical of the Church and Christians.
Arlene Allen
She got it wrong. Wiccan/pagan/witchcraft books are dead on the shelves these days. Fundies like her scared publishers and booksllers alike. I look forward to more on e-books. Where no one can see what you're buying, muwhahahahaha....
Regina Hunter
Aug 27, 2011 Regina Hunter rated it liked it
General knowledge, but not as good as it could have been.
September
Nov 20, 2009 September rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
read. it.
Patrick
May 24, 2007 Patrick marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Contrast Christianity with Wicca
I am learning more about the wiccan culture and religion that is alive in America today. I am curious to learn more about it's history as well as its current status.
Daniel Expósito
Daniel Expósito rated it did not like it
Oct 18, 2014
Janie
Janie rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2007
Karin Rosner
Karin Rosner rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Rachel Hunt
Rachel Hunt rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2011
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was ok
May 18, 2014
Hannah Reid
Hannah Reid rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2015
k
k rated it did not like it
Jun 19, 2015
Joseph
Joseph rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2012