Start by marking “Wicca: A Year and a Day: 366 Days of Spiritual Practice in the Craft of the Wise” as Want to Read:

There are no short-cuts to becoming a Witch. Traditionally, students take a year and a day to prepare for their initiation into the Craft. Based on this age-old custom, Wicca: A Year and a Day is a one-of-a-kind daily guide that introduces Witchcraft over a 366-day cycle.

Ideal for solitary students, this intensive study course teaches the core content of Wiccan practice: t
Published February 8th 2005 by Llewellyn Publications (first published February 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Wicca, please sign up.

Recent Questions

Daniela
Mar 30, 2016 Daniela rated it did not like it
Complete trash. Some concepts are standard to most practitioners so you can't go wrong with those. The rest are biased, treated as factual (which I hate) and the way the "lessons" are planned does not make any fucking sense at all.
If you're an old wiccan, you will probably hate this too. If you're new to the path, stick to the classics: Ray Buckland and specially Scott Cunningham. If you want to know about mythology, read books that focus on ONE mythology at a time. Get to know the different ar
Heather Ciaramitaro
Mar 04, 2015 Heather Ciaramitaro rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book and what I learned will stay with me always. I see a lot of people complaining about how each 30 days you have a list of items to purchase,let me say this What you purchase is just a tiny cost of what you learn and by the end of my 366 days I have a complete stock of herbs and items I will get to enjoy in my craft further. I really hope people that truly want to learn purchase this incredible book and have amazing knowledge from there workings as I had. I can't ...more
Abigail
Feb 16, 2012 Abigail rated it it was ok
Shelves: pagan
This book takes the form of 366 daily lessons that are intended to guide someone from their first steps in Wicca all the way through their year and a day.

The biggest problem with this book is that every 30 days it gives you a shopping list of supplies needed to complete that month's lessons. Considering that the book is aimed at people who are new to Wicca, I suspect it could give them entirely the wrong impression and lead them into the trap of thinking 'stuff' is a requirement.

Perhaps it would
J.T.K. Gibbs
Something I will restart on Jan. 1.
Surrey Pagans
Jan 14, 2017 Surrey Pagans rated it liked it
In just flipping through the book, a reader might think they need to go out and buy a bunch of stuff in order to be Wiccan or to practice witchcraft. This couldn't be further from the truth. Following this guide for practicing Wicca and witchcraft can be daunting for those with tight budgets. Wicca and witchcraft is not about buying new or expensive items (read Scott Cunningham's "Living Wicca"). My main criticism of this book is that the shopping lists undermine Wicca as an accessible religion. ...more
Cynthia
May 26, 2017 Cynthia rated it really liked it
I wanted to give this a 3.5, but I decided that since it mostly accomplished what it was going for I'd err on the side of generous.

On the plus side, it's an enjoyable read with a good mix of active practice and contemplation. As always, I like Roderick's psychological approach and focus on guided meditation to find personal symbolism. The result is more experiential and less pedantic than some of the more prescriptive texts out there. It seemed like a fairly complete compendium on the basics of
Z_Alliski
Mar 10, 2017 Z_Alliski rated it really liked it
This is a great book for the serious beginner although I would think the habit of purchasing items needed would become expensive. This isn't truly practical for everyone, so bear that in mind.
Christylin Marie
Oct 11, 2016 Christylin Marie rated it really liked it
This book is great if you are interested in learning about the year through a Wiccan point of view. It takes you through the seasons and each day there is something new you learn and have to accomplish. It was quite interesting going through this book and performing the activities within the book, and going through all the steps, however I am not sure this book is set up, in a way to be taught to others, because if you are just reading it, then it is fine, however if you are taking this book and ...more
Jaimi
Feb 08, 2017 Jaimi rated it it was ok
If you intend on spending a lot of money on the Wiccan practice this book is for you. His recommendation require new materials often, herbs, candles, etc. While I understand these items are part of the craft, I felt like he gave no alternatives. It made me feel like you had to follow these rules in order to be a Wiccan.
Aesy Reads
Oct 17, 2016 Aesy Reads rated it it was amazing
If you are a beginner witch, or even just interested in Wicca, this is the book for you. And even if you aren't new to the crafts, you can definitely learn something from this book, or gain more insight into the different aspects involved.

The book included so much information - divination, symbols, deities, correspondences, herbs, oils, spellwork, history (and lots of it), crystals, and the elements to name a few categories. One problem with this book, however, is that I'd have liked it to be mo
Stephanie
Sep 24, 2014 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: pagan-wicca
I really enjoyed this book. You learn about Wicca and witchcraft through doing one activity a day for 366 days. The activities range from simple reading to meditation to actual spells. At the beginning of each month it lists the items you will need to complete the activities within that month. My only real complaint it that some of the items are harder to find (like certain herbs) or a bit more expensive. I would however recommend this to anyone wanting to do a at home year and a day Wiccan stud ...more
Michelle Norton
Nov 05, 2012 Michelle Norton rated it it was amazing
The reason I liked this book so much is because it gives such a broad overview of pagan practice. You don't have to buy everything listed but most books list all kinds of things to buy and this one is at least up front about it. So it did not bother me as much as other readers. I really like the questions and research promoted by the contemplation days. I think this Would be a good book to use in conjunction with a teacher.
Daniel Devereux
If you're wanting to read about Eclectic Neo-Wicca I don't think I'd recommend this book. The author acts like wicca and witchcraft are one in the same which they're not, he uses an invocation from a nearly eight hundred year-old play as a 'samhain chant'. If you want to lose money go ahead because with this book you'll have a monthly shopping list.
Red
Oct 25, 2012 Red rated it it was ok
I was liking this book but it really it is just a way to practice the craft if your plan is to be broke. You do not need all this to practice. I gave it two starts because it does have some decent basic meditations.
Ruby Hollyberry
Apr 27, 2011 Ruby Hollyberry rated it did not like it
Shelves: magick, not-owned
If the author is not an idiot, there is nothing in this book to prove it. One does not write a book about one's first silly year as a half-assed not very talented Wiccan student. Not if you want respect, you don't.
Cathy Addley
Jul 03, 2016 Cathy Addley rated it really liked it
something to do everyday can be time consuming
needed to do alot of planning
took a long time to finish more than 366 days but
i got there in the end and finished
Jessica Rister
Feb 08, 2013 Jessica Rister rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to learn about the wheel of the Pagan year. It gives great detail of what it is. It even gives samples of crafts you can you can make for each one.
Wendy Mazzurana
Wendy Mazzurana rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2015
Scott
Scott rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2014
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2017
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2013
paige bradley
paige bradley rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2014
Jess Wolf
Jess Wolf rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2013
Julie Bainbridge
Julie Bainbridge rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Mrschelo
Mrschelo rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2012
Angelique
Angelique rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2011
Aishwarya
Aishwarya rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2015
Paige Mcpherson
Paige Mcpherson rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2012
Crystiauna
Crystiauna rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
  • The Craft: A Witch's Book of Shadows
  • Witch Crafting: A Spiritual Guide to Making Magic
  • Wicca: The Complete Craft
  • The Witches' God
  • Earth Power: Techniques of Natural Magic (Llewellyn's Practical Magick)
  • Beltane: Springtime Rituals, Lore & Celebration
  • True Magick: A Beginner's Guide
  • The Inner Temple of Witchcraft: Magick, Meditation and Psychic Development (Temple of Witchcraft, #1)
  • Sabbats: A Witch's Approach to Living the Old Ways
  • An ABC of Witchcraft: Past and Present
  • The Encyclopedia of Witches and Witchcraft
  • Natural Witchery: Intuitive, Personal & Practical Magick
  • The Wicca Spellbook: A Witch's Collection of Wiccan Spells, Potions, and Recipes

“there isn't shame in having shadows - we all have them to varying degrees. it's simply a part of being human” 1 likes
“to judge darkness as bad or wrong is akin to judging whether up is better than down, or whether blue is better than red” 0 likes