Start by marking “The Homecoming (The Daughters of Mannerling, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Homecoming (The Daughters of Mannerling, #6)

The Homecoming (The Daughters of Mannerling #6)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  326 ratings  ·  22 reviews

Lizzie is the sixth and youngest daughter of the late Sir Beverely, the patriarch who gambled away their beloved estate, Mannerling. Each of Lizzie's sisters had been entrusted by their ambitious mother to cast lures for the various owners of their former home. Instead, each one happily married for love. Now it's Lizzie'
Mass Market Paperback, 182 pages
Published August 29th 1998 by Ivy Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Homecoming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Homecoming

[close:] Hoping for a Regency in the ilk of the inimitable Georgette Heyer, I turned to Marion Chesney (AKA MC Beaton). Sigh. A disappointment -- Chesney seems to churn out her vast legion of novels with a germ of an idea that is wasted due to creaky plotting and little refinement of language or narrative style.

This one begins with Lizzie Beverley, the youngest daughter in a family of well-born but now impoverished girls, being rebuffed rudely by the autocratic Duke of Severnshire. He discovers
Little Lizzie is now 19 and content with her life without Mannerling. The house has a strage pull though and she tresspasses once more to say goodbye to the house and is caught and soundly scolded by the Duke of Severnshire. The Duke comes to call when he discovers that the incomparable Miss Trumble is actually his aunt! Lizzie and the Duke cross verbal swords because Lizzie feels the Duke is too old and stuffy. She prefers the company of his young secretary, Peter Bond and the two quickly becom ...more
This is volume six in the Daughters of Mannerling series and possibly the best in my opinion. The Duke of Severnshire has bought Mannerling and naturally Lady Beverley is hoping her youngest daughter will marry him so that they can regain control of Mannerling again. But both individuals seem to have taken a dislike to each other so Lady Beverley’s hope could be in vain. Meanwhile she still has Miss Trumble as governess even though she is not really Miss Trumble at all which Lady B finds difficu ...more
Apr 11, 2013 Mo added it
Shelves: brit-lit, regency
I remember reading a slew of Marion Chesney novels when my children were very young. They were just the right kind of light, mindless entertainment that I needed at the time. I had to read things that were very put-downable … books that would not consume me. My free time to read was very limited.

Basically, all of the books in any given Marion Chesney series were the same book. She had a formula, and stuck to it. She changed names, places and circumstances, but the basic plots remained identical.
Helene Harrison
Review - Right from the beginning Lizzie was my favourite character in this series, and her story doesn't disappoint. I also loved Miss Trumble more in this one, as her two lives collide. I really really hate Lady Beverly now, the only one still obsessed by Mannerling. The best book of the series. The storyline was great, and a huge contrast to other books in the series. For me it was a pity that all of the Beverly sisters weren't together again at the end, but you can't have everything.

Genre? -
Annie Burrows
finally, the youngest Beverley sister, Lizzie, manages to entrap - er, I mean, persuade the owner of Mannerling to marry her and re-instate the family in their ancestral home (which her feckless father gambled away). But will the house triumph, or will love?
My favourite in the series as all is revealed about Mrs Trumble. Lizzie is strong-willed,pert, humourous and indepenant yet she falls in love as her siters did, and lets go Mannerling! What a wonderful series!
Dona Krueger
I know this was better than a two, but have decided a trilogy of a family is enough. With over 30 in this series - the story seems to repeat itself, over and over and ...... Beginning in the 1400's a family and the decendants are the vehicles for the history of England - including a great deal of focus on the terrible conditions of the lower classes. I have about 15 more to go to complete the series, but need a break...600 pages of reoccuring story with different names and same love, betrayal, s ...more
Marion Chesney aka M.C. Beaton has a very predictable writing style. Her characters are often interchangeable, and the descriptions of how they behave are very similar from book to book. Still, something about her books makes me smile. I enjoy them even if they aren't very original. The Homecoming is the last book in a series of six. I've read only one other in the series, but that was a not a problem. I followed the plot and the romance just fine.

If you enjoy Regency romance I definitely recomm
good regency romp didn't like the evil house shennanigans but v readable
Sep 26, 2012 Sally rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ebook
The conclusion to The Daughters of Mannerling regency era romances was very satisfying for me. I only had one minor disappointment in that the relationship between the Beverley governess, Miss Trumble, and the handyman, Barry, was not carried to the conclusion that it could have been, or that I hoped for. Nevertheless, all things were tidied up nicely, with a tiny hint that the "life" of the house at Mannerling is not over. I think this series is best enjoyed if you read all of them in order. I ...more
Enjoyable series of books.
Feb 28, 2015 Alicia rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one in particular--see review
Recommended to Alicia by: No one
Shelves: grade-f-one-star
Review to come
Enjoyed it!
Lynne Tull
This is one of the few books/series I would read again. These stories of Marion Chesney started me on my adventure...reading Regency Romance/Novels/History! There is not a set of books that will teach you more about the basics about life in Regency England. There are six series with six books each. I love them all. It must be a "past life" thing:)
Reading these books for me is like coming home to your house, flopping on the couch, and reading w/lots of snacks. They're just so familiar(grew up reading them from the library) and comforting. I always know Marion Chesney is going to give me a fun romp w/a memorable cast of characters.
Anna Mcfarland
Quaint story about a proud duke falling for a fiery redhead. The haunted house is a little queer and conflicts are resolved too quickly; but it is a pleasant enough read with the added bonus of being set in Regency England.
Lisa Coryat
I thoroughly enjoyed this whole series, but then again, I am a Chesney Beaton fan girl.
They are fun reads, mindless entertainment.
Good way to end this series-it toned down the mystery and finished with a romance.
Best one of the series.
Creepy ending!
Miss Mouse
Feb 09, 2015 Miss Mouse marked it as to-read
Mannerling #6
Ferl Quizon
Ferl Quizon marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Jessica marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Mary Howard
Mary Howard marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Erin marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
  • The Marquis Takes a Bride (Cotillion Regency Romance, #2) (Regency Royal, #2)
  • The Stolen Bride (Lovers and Ladies, #3)
  • Isabella & The English Witch (Trevelyan Family, #1 & #2)
  • Lady Lissa's Liaison (To Woo an Heiress, #1)
  • The Scandals of an Innocent (The Brides of Fortune, #2)
  • Cupboard Kisses
  • The Anonymous Miss Addams (Alphabet Series, #9)
  • Fair Juno
  • The Skeleton in the Closet
  • The Sister Diaries
  • Elyza
Marion Chesney Gibbons
aka: Ann Fairfax, Jennie Tremaine, Helen Crampton, Charlotte Ward, M.C. Beaton, Sarah Chester.

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottish Daily Mail to review variety shows and quickly
More about Marion Chesney...

The Daughters of Mannerling (6 books)
  • The Banishment