China Homecoming

China Homecoming

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  6 reviews
"An intriguing fusion of autobiography, history, and travelogue . . . a personal, and finally, moving book. It is also a vivid portrait of a developing nation and a reminder that history is people who live through events and then go on".--Booklist.
Published April 5th 1985 by Putnam Juvenile (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about China Homecoming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about China Homecoming

Joni
Apr 14, 2010 Joni rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Joni by: Carol Whitworth
Shelves: 5a
What affected me the most about this book is how Jean was able to find pieces of her life and personal history by going back to China and exploring there when few white Americans were able to do so.

This is the continuation of Jean’s first novel, Homesick: My Own Story. She was born in China. Her American parents were over there working for the YMCA, and Jean lived there, in all its political turmoil and unrest, until she was 12. Both books are extremely fascinating.

China Homecoming is about her...more
Shirleen
I think I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book because I visited China with my parents in the mid 1980s and could relate to a lot of what Jean Fritz wrote about in her book China Homecoming. Jean and her family lived in China when she was a little girl, where her American father worked for the YMCA there. After moving to the US when Jean was about 11 years old, Jean had always dreamed of going back to visit. This is a story of Jean's struggle of getting permission of going back for a visit with...more
Tina
I really enjoyed this memoir of Jean Fritz's trip to China to visit the land of her childhood. Jean spent the first 10 or 12 years of her life in China with parents who were missionaries (worked for the YMCA as far as I could tell. I listened to the audio, but ordered the print version as well to get the pictures. They aren't that great, but evoke a time & culture undergoing rapid change & continuing after the Jean & her family left.
Ruby Hollyberry
This does not really have the impact of a book, but it is a nice little coda to the wonderful Homesick. Good pictures!
Katie
I enjoyed this sequel almost as much as the first one.
Donna
True story of Jean Fritz (born of American parents)but born and grew China. When her family moved back to America (she was 13)she could not forget the China she left behind. Her struggle to return and how China had changed makes good reading.
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Mya Freeman
Mya Freeman marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Mmars
Mmars added it
Dec 12, 2013
Jenn S
Jenn S marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2013
Nina Chambers
Nina Chambers marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2013
Amyanderson04
Amyanderson04 marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2013
Homeschool Family
Homeschool Family marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2013
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2012
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2012
Lola Swint
Lola Swint marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2012
Jean Fritz is a children’s author who has a fascination with writing historical fictions. She was born on November 16, 1915, in Hankow, China to missionary parents. After living in China for 13 years, Fritz and her family moved back to the United States. Beginning her career with an English degree, Fritz became an award-winning and respected author. She has received an honor for every book that sh...more
More about Jean Fritz...
Homesick: My Own Story The Cabin Faced West And Then What Happened, Paul Revere? What's The Big Idea, Ben Franklin? Can't You Make Them Behave, King George?