Box Turtle at Long Pond

Box Turtle at Long Pond

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  7 reviews
"A day in the life of a box turtle is rendered carefully in words and lifelike illustrations with a text that respects its subject....Superior."--School Library Journal. "Will delight the young viewer. An excellent introduction to pond ecology, and a strikingly beautiful book."--Kirkus Reviews.

It is dawn at Long Pond. Box Turtle's red eyes look out from his shelter within...more
Published September 28th 1989 by Greenwillow Books

Bo
Excellent illustrations and solid, factual material. Simple but not dumb. The Georges make wonderful books.
Shanna Gonzalez
This book tells the story of one day in the life of a box turtle as he searches for food and interacts with other animals (one of which tries to eat him.) It is a naturalistic story, not anthropomorphized, and the carefully crafted text draws the reader into the animals moment-by-moment experience, and Lindsay George's beautiful realistic illustrations capture the turtle's movements and personality well.

The best way to observe a turtle is sitting or lying quietly outdoors, watching it in person....more
Elaine
Good science book, told in story format, about a box turtle's day, from waking to going to bed. Includes what he eats, how he gets that food, what he does during rain, and one of his predators. My girls narrated this book back to me after we read it.
Marisa
I thoroughly enjoyed this book simply because I am a sucker for turtles. I adore turtles and their protective shell barriers. This book paints the simplistic life of a turtle and portrays it in a scientific yet narrative way.
Matthew
This is a great nonfiction narrative about box turtles. The George's worked wonderfully together and this text is one that a reader can appreciate for both its illustrations and its text. Great book.
Novak
Novak added it
Jun 17, 2014
Alice
Alice added it
Jun 16, 2014
Stacy Shaffer
Stacy Shaffer marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Mante
Mante marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2013
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2013
Ed
Ed added it
Apr 21, 2013
Dolly
Dolly marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2013
Christmas at Long Pond Fishing at Long Pond Beaver at Long Pond Winter At Long Pond Box Turtle at Long Pond