Bump and Run

Bump and Run

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  276 ratings  ·  32 reviews
They call him Jammer in Vegas--the kind of guy who got things done. But when Jack Molloy inherits half of the NFL's New York Hawks, he must take a crash course in steroids, gambling, crooked quarterbacks, control-freak coaches, and idiot sportswriters. As an instant celebrity, he has to steel himself for a season in tabloid hell.
Published September 1st 2001 by Berkley (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Bump and Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bump and Run

Patrick
Full disclosure: I bought this novel for my less-than-impressive, but growing, classroom library; that was a mistake. Watching Mr. Lupica on Sunday mornings on ESPN, I had no idea that he was so devoted to cursing. The novel contains a lot of gratuitous foul language, it is rather puzzling. The novel contains too many sexual overtones and situations to introduce to a junior high classroom. Mistakenly, I thought that was the target group for this story. I am a little a puzzled about the intended...more
Kate L
Aug 20, 2014 Kate L rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any Football fan
I had been watching Mike Lupica on ESPN's "The Sports Reporters" show with my hubby on Sundays for awhile. I love to read, but generally did not read books about sports. I really enjoyed this one for the insight it gave me into the world of football, NFL and just the pure love of the game.
I was lucky enough to get Mike to sign my copy at a booksigning near my home. Great guy, wonderful book.
Scott  Breslove
Wow, It's getting to the point where I can tell how much I liked a book by how fast I read it. Hence why this one got 2 stars. The one saving grace it had was the insider football, what it takes to be an owner gimmick, and I'm sure, even that was short changed. Half of the references in this book were already dated, or would be in a few short years. I also don't know why Lupica felt that every character needed some kind of crazy name with some kind of crazy explanation as to why said characters...more
Kevin Oldenburg
Okay, I borrowed this from a friend before a trip I was going to take. I read the first chapter just to get a feel for what the book was about. The problem was it was so funny and so addictive I finished the book before we even left for the trip. If you like football and other sports cliches, you'll love this book as much as I did.

It is the story of an guy who inherits a football team from his recently departed father with whom he was estranged. Cross this story line with Vegas casino bosses, d...more
Robert
I really enjoyed this at it started and then it started feeling formulaic and predictable as it continued but still a quick enjoyable read.
Marti
this is not a book i would choose myself, but my husband said that i should read it, so i took it downstairs to the stationary bike, and did that. while i sort of like football, this definitely is a book which would appeal more to men, or fanatic football females. i'm sure that mike lupica is probably a really nice person, but i don't plan to seek out any more of his books. the hero--or seemingly antihero inherits half a professional football team, and then has to prove himself, despite his past...more
Tom
Hilarious doesn't even begin to describe this book. It is like the Boondocks in print, but in a sports-related theme, poking at the stupidity and insanity that is pro football and those surrounding the sport. Anyone who calls themselves a sports fan will find themselves laughing out loud at the one-liners and comedic situations that are portrayed in the book, ones that real-life athletes seem to fall into at will. I've read some of Lupica's stuff before, and enjoyed it, but this one really was a...more
Timmeh
Bump and Run is a hilarious fictional tale brimming with full-colored vocabulary and action. What I love about this book the most is how Lupica so deftly wraps stereotypes into comedic adventures. I need to read this for my ninth grade project. My mom was aghast as the colorful curse words, though I can say I didn't learn any new ones (darn it), and though I wouldn't recommend to any die-hard ten year olds, I found the characterizations depicted to be worth the polysyllabic smut words.
L.
Not many likeable people in this book. It's about a guy who works for a mafia-type guy in Vegas. He inherits half an owning interest in a New York football team when his dad dies. Ick. All the players are creeps: sexist druggies who are really much more interested in money & sex than football; actually so is everyone else. All of the women are awful too. The author is a sportswriter, so I guess he knows what he's talking about, sad as that makes me.
Michael
It's nice sometimes just to read a funny, clever story. This writer has a new fan. He's been at the Daily News for as long as I've been in New York, and I've read his stories there... A novel about the NFL. I imagine that much of ths stuff is over the top, kind of- maybe not. A Vegas fixer inherits a football team from his father. The book comes off like something Carl Hiassen would do, which is high praise.
Colton
most gayest book i have ever read chapter 13 is all about a strip club in great details i stopped on chapter 17 by that time there was 10 or more f*** words and numerios swear words do not buy waste of money! for me any ways who is 12 and it is really messed up mike lupica is my my favorite author or at least the ones made 2005 or later:)
Alix
The writing style was a bit frenetic. I don't know if it was done purposefully to convey a mood or if this is just how Mike Lupica writes. He clearly wrote with people who don't know football in mind and wound up over explaining himself in places because of that. Overall I enjoyed the book and would probably read more by him.
Gabe
I somewhat enjoyed this book but I was disappointed that it wasn't more about football. This book was a little bit hard for me to understand and was boring at times. I could tell that it was written for adults. I think When I get older I will try to re-read it so I can get more of a meaning out of it.
Julie Bowerman
Jack, the Jammer for a Las Vegas casino, inherits a football team from his father and finds his problem-solving skills are essential in navigating the politics of a professional league. There's also a couple of love interests and more than a smattering of sexual content in this book for adults.
Bruce Snell
A fun read - if this is what the NFL is really like, I want in. Some of the characters are too real to be fiction, like the player who was talking down his ex and said she was the type of woman who would end up with three kids by four different fathers in the next few years. Priceless.
Brian
I bought this at the dollar store, which is where it belongs.

Lupica depicts a cartoonish NFL team based in New York. Totally unbelievable and a laughable attempt.

I couldn't get past the first three chapters - it's that bad!
Drew
Jul 26, 2007 Drew rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Fun story about professional football players. With pro players (in real life) increasingly not talking to the media about what really goes on, this may be as close as we get any more to seeing behind the curtain. Quick read.
Joel Burgess
very interesting take on professional football with the fictional New York Hawks. kept my interest throughout , but became predictable towards the end, but not till the very end. An overall good read.
Dana C.
Adults only!
This book spent too much time describing the depravities of professional ball. I didn't like the main character or his latent committment to continuing a family legacy of owning a ball club.
Pa
Sep 11, 2012 Pa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those interested in pro football (and not offended by graphic sex)
A sometimes interesting and often amusing tale of a Las Vegas character who inherits an NFL contender for the superbowl (and his struggles against those who don't want him to own the team).
Matthew
I don't tend to get into sports books, but this was less about football, and more about people. I loved the witty banter and the deep intellectual content. Go TEAM!
Deborah Morgan
I like Mike's more current work better than this, but did enjoy his insider's view into the world of professional football owners. Good read for a wintry day.
David
This is how football owners should behave. Give me a team and I'll will prove it. Lupica is the funniest sportswriter on the planet.
Jeremy
Won't be used in classrooms anytime soon, but a fun afternoon read, especially for football fans.
Mrs Bond
Gritty tale about the business of football. Somewhat predictable but still a fun vacation read.
Jim Townsend
I can't remember when I read it so I just put a date down. It was funny, though.
Chuck
Another sports writer trying to write fiction. Too cutesy for me. Didn't finish.
Gary
Mike Luica writes the most entertaining sports books around.
Julie McGinty
This is sports fiction, but not just for guys - fun book!
Fatbaldguy60
An enjoyable little sports romp.
TIMMEH'S BUMP AND RUN 2 8 Aug 11, 2009 03:09PM
  • The Million Dollar Kick (The Million Dollar Series #2)
  • Rivals
  • The End of the World Club (Jaguar Stones, #2)
  • The Only Way I Know
  • The Southpaw (Second Edition)
  • Who Was Abraham Lincoln?
  • Let Me Tell You a Story: A Lifetime in the Game
  • A Civil War: Army vs. Navy - A Year Inside College Football's Purest Rivalry
  • Who Was George Washington?
  • The Bronx Zoo: The Astonishing Inside Story of the 1978 World Champion New York Yankees
  • Box Socials
  • The Sports Pages (Guys Read, #3)
  • My Daddy Was a Pistol and I'm a Son of A Gun
  • The Monument
  • The Five Fakirs of Faizabad (Children of the Lamp, #6)
  • The Prince of Fenway Park
  • Crossing Jordan
  • Yum-Yum Bento Box: Fresh Recipes for Adorable Lunches
Mike Lupica introduces his new middle-grade series, Mike Lupica's Comeback Kids."
More about Mike Lupica...
Heat Travel Team Summer Ball Million-Dollar Throw The Big Field